Quick TTI header installation question:

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
Just want to make sure if it is necessary to remove the drag link to install the long tube header on the drivers side.
Car info:
69 Valiant 2door
833 4speed
Lakewood scatter shield
Power steering box
Mini starter
Still running T. Bars under it.
Thanks, Dennis.

You can get lucky if you turn the wheels all the way to the right IIRC. That may move the drag link enough to get your headers in. Having the last tube slide in helps a ton.

Disconnect and unbolt the steering column and box, makes it WAY easier to throw in headers...

BOOM! Thanks guys!

IMG_20160613_1844231_rewind.jpg

IMG_20160613_1951192_rewind.jpg

Well I'm having fitment issues.... I got the engine mounting brackets on the "back side" of the lugs but the idler arm hits the header. If I put the mounting brackets on the front of the lugs ( moving the engine and transmission back ) there is no issue with steering interfering with the header but then the trans won't line up to the cross member.I've tried turning the cross member, and turning the trans mount but it just won't line up. What am I missing? If someone is willing to give me a call so I can better explain my situation, please P.M.me!

Your missing MillerTime.

With the engine correctly mounted; is the idler arm the only issue? Period.
And what exactly touches what? And in which direction is the idler arm pin pointing? Ie, is the nut on top of the centerlink?

I bought my TTIs in 1999. I have a 68Barracuda, with a K from a 70 Duster, and steering arms from a 73 Dart, with the drop center.
I still had to cut and grind on my steering, and dent my spiffy new nickle-plated TTIs. That was 16 plus years ago, and none of the dents are leaking.And only you and I know they are there,lol

Last edited:
Your missing MillerTime.

With the engine correctly mounted; is the idler arm the only issue? Period.
And what exactly touches what? And in which direction is the idler arm pin pointing? Ie, is the nut on top of the centerlink?

I bought my TTIs in 1999. I have a 68Barracuda, with a K from a 70 Duster, and steering arms from a 73 Dart, with the drop center.
I still had to cut and grind on my steering, and dent my spiffy new nickle-plated TTIs. That was 16 plus years ago, and none of the dents are leaking.And only you and I know they are there,lol
As of now, yes that my only issue after grinding a bit on the Lakewood scatter shield .

Exactly like mine!
I had to dent the pipe for clearance.
I had first tried loosening the idler arm in the frame saddle and pulling it down;not much available there, so then I tried grinding the stud at an angle, and even got into the nut. but it wasn't enough.In the end I had to dent the pipe.
I laid a round bar over the scratch mark, and a couple of whacks with a 32oz hammer and it was all good. The round bar made a trough,perfect.
I was working on a 2-post lift so I had plenty of hammer-swinging room.

Very nice pic.

Last edited:
im going to try to shim the engine mounts befor I take the hammer to the header; but im sure it will come to that.... :(

-
Back