Quick valve lash questions...

-
Getting paid to play on FABO? I wish! :poke: :rofl:
I own my own business.. i nap.. read books all day... BUT.. im here 70 hours a week and don't make **** for money :) Still worth it to not have a boss though

FWIW I used the Carter muscle car pump on my 360 and it stays below 5.

I used one of them for a 400 and that thing would put out over 10.

I own my own business.. i nap.. read books all day... BUT.. im here 70 hours a week and don't make **** for money :) Still worth it to not have a boss though
Been there. Was a MAC dealer for 28 years. A lot of work but rewarding.

FWIW I used the Carter muscle car pump on my 360 and it stays below 5.

I used one of them for a 400 and that thing would put out over 10.
Yeah.. i'm using a $15 amazon special.. so i don't have high hopes for it to be correct :) I have my original bolt together carter from '62 but i don't think it would be a good idea to run. I always used to use carters but read that new ones are **** so didn't wanna spend premium on one

I have my original bolt together carter from '62 but i don't think it would be a good idea to run.
With a 62 year old fuel pump running might be one thing that it won't help with.

My Carter pump came from rock auto, I don't remember it being expensive. But OTOH, when you're spending like a drunken sailor anyway, you tend to push all that out of your mind.

With a 62 year old fuel pump running might be one thing that it won't help with.

My Carter pump came from rock auto, I don't remember it being expensive. But OTOH, when you're spending like a drunken sailor anyway, you tend to push all that out of your mind.
i wish i could... i have a hard time parting with money.. i usually end up spending 2-3 times though

i wish i could... i have a hard time parting with money.. i usually end up spending 2-3 times though
I'm a skinflint too, but once I'm committed to doing something, money ain't going to be the object. I just avoid committing to anything that I really can not afford. :)

I'm a skinflint too, but once I'm committed to doing something, money ain't going to be the object. I just avoid committing to anything that I really can not afford. :)
Yeah, growing up broke made me worry bout money 24/7... i try to keep dinners cheap as possible even.. whats funny is i have jars of cash hidden away in case of an emergency but god forbid i spend a little for enjoyment :)

I too have a ticking noise, never have found it. Right now, I am treating the hydraulic roller as a solid. Bleed the lifters down and lashed at around. 010 cold. If the lifter bleeds off, it doesn't matter.

I too have a ticking noise, never have found it. Right now, I am treating the hydraulic roller as a solid. Bleed the lifters down and lashed at around. 010 cold. If the lifter bleeds off, it doesn't matter.
I'd be careful with that. You can look for highly accelerated camshaft and lifter wear.

Haven't seen anything abnormal yet. Will keep an eye on it. If it does, then I can go solid. Seem like anything with a camshaft anymore is more bad news than good news.

Haven't seen anything abnormal yet. Will keep an eye on it. If it does, then I can go solid. Seem like anything with a camshaft anymore is more bad news than good news.
Well good luck with it. Hydraulic rollers specify a good bit of preload to keep the lifters from "ski jumping" off the ramps and then crashing back down on the lobes. Loose or no preload is terrible on the valve train.

I am treating the hydraulic roller as a solid. Bleed the lifters down and lashed at around. 010 cold
To understand - your lifters are bled, but solid. The plunger would go all the way to the bottom before you could measure an honest lash at the rocker. I would be surprised if your pushrod is long enough for that unless you cut them special for the job.

As I noted earlier, I've had no luck with bled lifters and had to pump them up to get a good adjustment.

There was a thread here where a guy argued for pumping the lifters up manually as a solution to noisy valves. Others said no you will bend things. The first guy was adamant, and after some thought I took the middle ground and pumped them up after they were installed and before adjusting, and that shut them up.

The way my lifters bleed off I wish I had some sort of pre-start priming system.

All that I can say is that I haven't broken anything in 2 years. Have been through a freshen and rear main oil leaks, but the cam and everything seems fine. Never have found the tick, and no evidence shown when looking for possibilities.

-
Back