Quickest cars of the 60's...

-
For more info check http://roadtests.tripod.com/ -- neat info, but don't see 68 Hemi Dart, Shelby Cobra, Mustang etc. ???? -- Times have sure changed, today, with a little tweaking these cars are 11 and 12 second cars. -- (convertors, exhaust, carbs, cams, tires etc.)

Attachments

• Top 10 in the Quarter..JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 510
attachment.php

On the street, these cars are in a statistical tie.

...and there isn't a car on the list that cost over $5000.00 I sure do miss those days.

I bought a new Hemi RoadRunner in 1968. The Hemi option, which no only included the engine, but a bunch of extra chassis gusseting and reinforcing, cost $800.00. The car cost me $4200.00 That included a Dana 60, an 833, and a couple of other things.

In 1970 I purchased a used 1969 440/4Bbl, 833, Dana 60 GTX, The car had 1600 miles on it. Cost me less than $2500.

I sure do miss those days. Today's equivalents start in the $30K+ range and go up from there.

---- In 65 I bought a new Belvedere II, 426 street wedge, 4 spd for the low $3,000 range, and in 66 I sold it to a friend, and bought a new 66 Nova SS, L-79 (327-350 H.P.) 4 speed for the same money. - Along with some others, I didn't know enough to keep them. -- Hindsight is sometimes discouraging, but fun at times.

For more info check http://roadtests.tripod.com/ -- neat info, but don't see 68 Hemi Dart, Shelby Cobra, Mustang etc. ???? -- Times have sure changed, today, with a little tweaking these cars are 11 and 12 second cars. -- (convertors, exhaust, carbs, cams, tires etc.)

hemi a-bodies weren't street legal and Cobras aren't muscle cars. I'm betting Shelby mustangs were heavier and geared taller than regular mustangs....making them not as quick.

hemi a-bodies weren't street legal and Cobras aren't muscle cars. I'm betting Shelby mustangs were heavier and geared taller than regular mustangs....making them not as quick.
-- :eek:ops:-- See post, below.

I'd take any of those cars on that list. With the money I've spent on cars over the years, I could have had a dream car. Can you say b body HEMI.

-- hemi a-bodies weren't street legal and Cobras aren't muscle cars. I'm betting Shelby mustangs were heavier and geared taller than regular mustangs....making them not as quick. --
-- I believe that a 67 Chevelle 427 was street legal, and pretty quick. ???? -- Also the time for a 66 Nova L-79 / 327 - 350H.P. is way off. I had one. With Atlas Bucron sticky tires, I was in the low 13s, and it was my daily driver. -- Bill Jenkins tweaked one, and set a class record of 11.66, back in the day. -- Great Times !!

The 65 427 AC Cobra would eat them all for breakfast. 0-100 and back to 0 in 13 seconds. Nuff said.

-- Was a 67 Chevelle 427 street legal ?
I put a 427 into a 67 Chevelle, but I dont think it came from GM that way. And boy was it quick! It would come close to my friends 455 Stage one Buick. We raced them in Palomar strip. :burnout: This was in 1979,1980

No the 67 Chevelle never had a factory 427. That's been an argument for decades. Never happened.

Wheres the 69' 1/2 440 sixpack roadrunner bet it would beat all those cars..Knew a guy that worked at a Plymouth dealership back in the early 70' they use to run the car's down a street behind the dealership told be the sixpack car would beat the hemi every time..

The thing is, these bad *** cars were VERY RARE to see on the street! They were a small fortune to buy. Just like Hellcats are now, Rare to see.

Wheres the 69' 1/2 440 sixpack roadrunner bet it would beat all those cars..Knew a guy that worked at a Plymouth dealership back in the early 70' they use to run the car's down a street behind the dealership told be the sixpack car would beat the hemi every time..

Yeah, I always heard that too. The Hemis always had too many valve train issues. Least that was the word on the street. Even a well tuned 440 Super Commando would spank a Hemi.

-- Yep ! I think --- The 427s were put in by Yenko and possibly by Baldwin Motion, also.

Right. There "WERE" some, just none from Chevy. I think 69 was the only year Chevy did put them in.

Shortly after we moved out here about the middle of 2003, I acquired a 78 El Camino, sans engine and transmission. I found a 454 block, 396 crank and the good large oval port closed chamber heads and build a 425 horse 427 and slung it in. It would NOT hook up. I built it to sell. I put that truck on Ebay and got just about five times what I had in it.

Mt dad in the CAWLEYs garage use to tune street HEMIs & max wedge cars. He told me guys use to come to the garage & have them tune up there cars because from factory they ran like ****, no guts. Stock 440s would spank stock hemis & 409s. Boy the stories I could tell you guys that I heard from my dad or uncles.

Hurrah !! For Mopar.

Attachments

• Jenkins vs. Stahl.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 286
The thing is, these bad *** cars were VERY RARE to see on the street! They were a small fortune to buy. Just like Hellcats are now, Rare to see.

Not even close, Tim, even adjusting for inflation... There is nothing on that list in the OP that was over $5000.

When my original 1971 Dart was new it cost me $2295.00 and that included a/c, vinyl roof and interior, PS, PB, and auto.

L88 vette was a force
dynoed over 500 hp?
and when the 440 six packs arrived they were all but unbeatable

fact is the 6 pack actually reduced basically nothin off the time slip.

stock hemi vs stock 440 same gears etc , the hemi would take the 440 at the very end of the qtr because of better breathing. top end that's another story.

that Buick in that is list is probably under rated.

othe r day, found the original invoice for my puny 170 '62 Lancer 2 door post car, it was like $1725 !!!! radio and heater only car... ha O K so it has nothin to do with fast cars!!!!

look at it this way, if a guy was making $8000 a yr gross, and a 68 roadrunner cost him $2800. he would have to be making $110,000 now to have the same buying power!!!??? ha

beam me back to '68 Scoty and leave of Nam!????

fact is the 6 pack actually reduced basically nothin off the time slip.

There were only a couple of hemis at our small strip and they did poorly stock.
The 440 six packs were very fast because they came with 4.10 gears and ran everything
in the Stock classes...not many 440 GTX's came through with 4.10's in our area.
..but we did have some players in the modified and other classes.Those days '68 and '69
were so so exciting for us teenagers back then!

-
Back