Quickly spot a 340 or ...

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
I am going to look at a 340 Dart tomorrow and need to know what the easiest way to identify a 340 over any other engine. Is it as easy as noticing something identifiable on the block or do I need to know some ID numbers?

the car is an original 340 but the engine was replaced and I wanted to confirm it was replaced with another 340.

On the drivers side above the starter their is a number stamped on the block which should have the numbers 340 in it.

Fred B

Take a flashlight and a mirror with you. If you can't get under the car to look up at it with the flashlight you can do it from above with the mirror.

It it under plugs 5 and 7.

Here is a picture of the side of a block I have:

340BlockNumbers.jpg

Thanks. I am going to see tomorrow in the morning... I am hoping it is what the guy said it is.

It's also stamped into the front drivers side of the block right below where the drivers side head bolts on but sometimes it's painted over so it's hard to see unless you scrape paint off which most people don't want you to do but it's worth a look before you crawl underneath it.

It was a 340. And it's in my driveway...

I'll post some pics later.

Thanks!

The engine was out of a 69 Barracuda. The lady didn't have any information on the rebuild so I am not sure what all was done.

I posted a few more pics under "Mopar General Discussion"

DSCN1122.JPG

-
Back