quiet exhaust

-

n00blike

Reaction score
I have a 74 duster with a 360.
I want a quiet exhaust for sneaking around but with minimal power lose i know its hard, but what do you guys think would be a good set up?

Dynomax Hemi Turbo mufflers, The longer the case the better. Also and X pipe or an H pipe will quite things down.

I agree with Adam. The regular super turbos have a main case that is about 14" long. The Hemi super turbos have a main case that is 18" long. Don't be confused by the overall length that includes the 2-3" inlet/outlet on each end.

Flowmaster also has a 70 series that should take the bark out. I run 50 series delta flows with an x-pipe and it is not load enough to make people look up when I go by but certainly is loud at WOT.

I Also want to put electronic cut-out for when i race. I know i need back pressure, so should I put some mufflers after the cut outs?

The mufflers would go on after the cutouts. A full length exhaust with tailpipes out the back after the muffler will keep the noise down too.

I Also want to put electronic cut-out for when i race. I know i need back pressure, so should I put some mufflers after the cut outs?

You dont want back pressure, you want velocity. going to big of pipe will decrease back pressure but allso kills velocity, what you need is the correct size pipes and a free flowing muffler.

my 360 makes about 320hp.

I was told by not to go bigger then 2.5" pip. Now that im getting those Dynomax Hemi Turbo mufflers for the quit side (going all the way out back). what should i get for the cut out side, if any? Im thing of having these exit from the sides or hidden

Usually the cut outs just open up. No need to run any pipe off the end of them. Personally I wouldnt even bother with the cut outs. An exhaust system like described should be efficient enough.

well i want quite around town and when a rice rocket pulls up next to me and revs. I just hit the cut out switch and scare the hell out of him :snakeman:

The Dynomax Hemi mufflers are extremely quiet and help produce good power with minimal back pressure. A Pontiac guy did a pretty extensive test a few years back on a Le Mans comparing performance between several mufflers via time slips.The Dynomax Hemi jobs were at the top of the list for quietness and performed better than FlowMasters. I cant find a link to the article..anyone??
Beware, they are large mufflers(18") and my local muffler guy couldnt get them to fit properly in the limited space on my 72 Duster AND get tail pipes to bend fast(sharp) enough to go over the axle for a complete system. He got them on my GTX and Satelitte just fine with tailpipes, but no dice on my Dusters. I run them on the 72 Duster but without tailpipes.
If you want any kind of rumble I think you'll be disapointed, even just dumped before the axle.

If i do dump them before the axle will that cause any issues like heating the gear oil too much or exhaust leaking into trunk and drivers bay?

for the rumble ill use cut outs.

i run a 3" exhaust with an X-pipe and dynomax super turbo mufflers.. car is quiet and runs the same with the cutouts open as it does through the exhaust.

DSC06161.JPG

exhaust%20005.jpg

exhaust%20010.jpg

exhaust%20009.jpg

The Walker Dynomax UltraFlow (stainless & welded)

have the best flow numbers of any street muffler

and are 14" cases. Check out the Walker catalog. -- 8)

here it is... like i said it sounds loud as hell here but it really isn't. its also deeper sounding in person.. its gota be the old *** camera.

it was so quiet that djv busted my balls bad about it.. he couldn't hear me coming down the road anymore..lol. after a few weeks it did get some more sound but it is still quiet. i love it.

http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/71 Dart/exhaust/dart exhaust.avi

Sounds great but if its really quieter then that I would be disappointed, LOL.

Maybe I'll try some ultraflows.

i run a 3" exhaust with an X-pipe and dynomax super turbo mufflers.. car is quiet and runs the same with the cutouts open as it does through the exhaust.

engine specs?

cant be that bad, i hear the birds over your car. Sounds nice!

Joes car is a Mopar Perf 360 short block with a 292-509 cam, RPM heads and intake, Proform 750 carb and TTI headers.

Joes car is a Mopar Perf 360 short block with a 292-509 cam, RPM heads and intake, Proform 750 carb and TTI headers.

what adam said...lol

the car has a nice sound.. just not too loud.. i also bought the bigger of the two 3" mufflers that dynomax sells. maybe the smaller ones would be a little louder.. not sure though

I run the Dynomax ultraflows 2 1/2" w the summit X pipe and tti tailpipes.
I also have cut outs after the headers. It has a nice rumble at idle and cruise. At full throttle it is loud but has a high pitch sound, not the loud flowmaster sound. The car runs the same thru the exhaust or opened up at the track.....

Bob

-
Back