Quit runnin

-

72dustyer

All go, no show
Reaction score
So now I got my feul problems straightened out and all and my Duster ran fine for two weeks... until today it just quit. I checked and no spark. It has an MSD dist, blaster coil etc. I heard a funny noise from up in the engine bay like a chicken squwakin and it shut down. Tach is stuck on 3000 rpm. I'm gonna unhook the tach from the msd box and see if that'll get it runnin. all engine wiring is new. Msd box runs directly to the battery. I did notice a slight drain on the battery when I unhooked the + side and put a test light on it, could be a faulty ground somewhere.
I think this guy is getting P-O'd at me for always breaking down in his driveway!!!!

if this is a ignition setup that has been used for a long time i would have a look at the distributorcap and rotor they can go bad without you notising it very guick when they do wear out they do it quick..
if you find the msd parts expensive or hard to find i found that stock replacement typ caps and rotors for olderstyle chevy breakertype ignition systems works great for alot less money i bought standardmotors heavy duty replacements....

It's an all new setup. I have power to the MSD box, power from the ignition, but no power to the coil. anyone know what would make the tachstop at 3000 rpm, I'm guessing that is the problem. I just hope the box isn't bad :scratch:

unplug the box to dist. put a jumper wire from the violet to the green in the box's plug end and turn the key on. then pull the jumper wire out. you should see a spark. if so, the box is not the issue, if no spark, the box is bad. check your grounds as well.

Yeah, checked out MSD's tech site and did that... bad box. They also say it will take 10-14 business days to get my box back to me, now I'm torn on whether I should get a backup or suck it up and not drive my car for a month.

72dustyer said:
Yeah, checked out MSD's tech site and did that... bad box. They also say it will take 10-14 business days to get my box back to me, now I'm torn on whether I should get a backup or suck it up and not drive my car for a month.

think of all that money you will save by not driving it for a whole month..
thats like.. like a new set of headers.. ya.. park it..

btw nice avatar.. and LOL.. Nice phrase under your name... LMAO

Ok, got the box checked out... it's bad. The guy at the local speed shop took it and gave me a new one even tho I didn't get it from him (THAT ROCKS!). so I fired it up and my tach is still stuck on 3000 rpm. And I noticed that my alternator is only putting out 11.5 volts. I am wondering if a spike from my alternator messed everything up?
It is a Powermaster 1 wire 100 amp deal, belts tight everthing seems OK.
Then I looked at my Speedo, which is new and reflects actual miles on the car since I put the engine in it. I'm not superstitious or anything, but the miles are at 666 :twisted: , which figures because its giving me a hell of a time!!!!

666. Man that's spooky:twisted: . No wonder it broke down. Sorry man, couldn't resist.

If the regulator in the alternator shorted out and went to full charge for awhile it could have blew out your msd and tach. I had one do that back in the early 80's on my 74 Monaco and it blew out all the lights and blew up the battery.

-
Back