R-12 Liquid Gold

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Yes it`s going to be summer again before you know it, and it`s time for me to do the bi annual hunt for inexpensive R-12. Any suggestions?

Longgone said:
Yes it`s going to be summer again before you know it, and it`s time for me to do the bi annual hunt for inexpensive R-12. Any suggestions?

My wifes car air condition system had to have R-12 because it was 90 Toyota Corolla. I went to the Advance Auto and bought the change out kit which you depose of the R-12 and install the new type 134a. The name of the kit is EZ-CHILL. It has the freon,oil and conditioner for the seals. The air is as cold as it was before. But we are letting the little car go and picking up a 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee this coming Monday so I'm happy for the wife. It'll be her vehicle.

Link: http://www.id-usa.com/

EZ Chill R-134a Recharging & Retrofit Kit with High Mileage Refrigerant
RKR-7
Complete kit to retrofit (convert) an R-12 A/C system to R-134a or to recharge an existing R-134a system. No tools needed. Refrigerant contains anitwear additives for high mileage vehicles and system-safe leak sealer.

Hey John, I converted my car to 134 also and it worked good until my compressor leaked all the refridgerent out. Really all it took was replacing the o-rings and removing the epr valve in the compressor. But if your set on using R-12, I have one full 12 ounce can and about 6 ounces in another. Maybe we could work out a trade. I think your system takes around 4-12 ounce cans. I see it's going for around $40.00 a can with shipping. It's must be expensive to ship.
It's hard to think about AC when it's 19 degrees outside! Bob

call around some of the hvac shops and ask for stuff called "hot shot" its a drop in repacement for r12 and will mix with it also. also you can use 409a.

Hey thanks guys for the offers, I lost track of this thread some time ago. I did end up finding some 12oz. cans at Napa in the $28.00 range. I picked up two and only needed one,...... next year I won`t be hunting. The catch is they hook you with the valve you have to buy to get the refrigerant out of the can, $12.00 straight from China,.. about .50 cent in material. Oh well, I`m cooling my heels now and quite comfortable. Thanks guys!

-
Back