R.I.P. Michael Davis (MC5 Bassist)

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
Michael Davis (1943-2012) passed away earlier this week at age 68 .

Davis was the Bassist for the notorious Detroit-area MC5 (active from 1964-1972) .

I created some artwork for him just over one year ago ; and he rewarded my efforts with a White Panthers / MC5 t-shirt , an MC5 decal
(affixed to the backlight of my Coronet) , some buttons , and a personal letter .

He was the most accessible member of the band ; a true artist .

Here's a sampling of the MC5's work : Borderline from 1969's Kick Out the Jams album , recorded on 30 & 31 .Octobre 1968 at the Gran-De Ballroom in Detroit :

[ame="http://youtu.be/ydo1DEcpsq4"]302 Found[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhQRFO4M7A&feature=related"]MC5- Kick Out The Jams (Extended) - YouTube[/ame]

Adam R ,
The *irony* of that video you posted (filmed for the German T.V. Programme Beat Club , in 1972) is that Davis isn't there :dontknow: .

The Bassist featured here was Davis' replacement , as Davis left the band in '71 due to drug addiction (a problem which also plagued other band mates as well. Lots of inexpensive China White ****** and lots of high-grade cocaine around at that time , or so I've heard ... ).

The gentleman seen here was an Irishman with the surname of Hughes ( same as mine !) whom was added to the band during their tour of England that year .

I'll post another favourite song of mine by them here .
Thanks for your input and opinions , guys !

I tried LOL Im not real familiar with the band other then that song. But what a great song it is !

I tried LOL Im not real familiar with the band other then that song. But what a great song it is !

It's all good :D . I've made mistakes in a similar vain ; I thought that the Frantic Flintstones (excellent Psychobilly band from Germany) performed a version of Hendrix's "Up From the Skies" , when it was actually the Demented Are Go! whom *covered* that song (hell , I'll throw that one in here , too ... ).

[ame="http://vimeo.com/16363607"]MC5 - Looking At You on 'Lively Spot' TV show, 1970 on Vimeo[/ame]

R.I.P Mike. One of the best bands to come out of Michigan. Loud driving guitars and attitude. Rest in peace brother. Now you can go back and jam with your old bandmates Fred Sonic Smith and Rob Tyner in heaven. Thanks for posting the video of Looking at you. Great tune some of the best guitar work by Wayne Kramer on that song.

Never heard of um. Sounds like I ain't missed nothin.

RIP...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS-Hb9QgJ-I"]MC5- Motor City Is Burning - YouTube[/ame]

R.I.P Mike. One of the best bands to come out of Michigan. Loud driving guitars and attitude. Rest in peace brother. Now you can go back and jam with your old bandmates Fred Sonic Smith and Rob Tyner in heaven. Thanks for posting the video of Looking at you. Great tune some of the best guitar work by Wayne Kramer on that song.
"Looking at You" is in my top 10 of killer mc5 songs , and this version exemplifies my assertion. The way Dennis "Machinegun" Thompson's drumming kicks-off this version (album version starts out slower and with Bass licks ) is the BEST !

mc5 , Stooges , The Up , Amboy Dukes and of course Motown ; gotta love the Michigan sound from that era ! The gruff attitude of a working class region combined with the psychedelia of the west coast , with the added influences of Soul , Funk , Jazz and Blues :rock:.

Smith and Kramer were such a kick *** combo ; such an incredible dynamic , those two attempting to make their guitars sound like the horns in Jazz (Coltrane , et al. ).

Rob Tyner , R.I.P. 1991
Fred "Sonic" Smith , R.I.P. 1994
Ron Asheton , R.I.P. 2009
Michael Davis , R.I.P. 2012

The Damned do an excellent rendition of "Looking at You" (on Machine Gun Ettiquite ) .

Pioneers of what could be called the roots of "thrash rock".

Try to find faster/heavier stuff from earlier.

-
Back