R & R mopar salvage

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80's, 90's ( maybe 70's too)... R & R ( owned by Ron Slobe), Aurura, MO. was the largest mopar salvage/ parts/ business in the country. probably sometime in the 90's Ted Stephens, Alabama caught up!! i'm sure there are some "oldtimers" like me, that also have input they could share. I sometimes am reluctant to post info on the past history of our hobby. I get the feeling some don't want to hear about the supply of these old cars back then, prices, maybe the fact that we didn't all hang on to those cars, or whatever, but maybe this info should be noted. maybe of interest to some people?

I was at R and R yesterday, picking up a recond. battery. for a project. the guy that owns it now gave me some history I wasn't aware of. he went to work for Ron in the 60's for $.75 per hour. he bought a 440-6 cuda off Ron for $1200 , paid $100 a month> Ron wanted to start salvage business down here is S W MO. he bought land with a nice home few miles w. of Aurora. he got started and bought out a large salvage yard right there in town. gave $18,000 for it....I forget how many 1000's of cars and tons of parts. they had like 3 months to move IT ALL. everything, scarp, old tires, cars, parts!!! that was the start.

forward on till the mid 80's and muscle car boom was underway. by then Ron had collected his "persoanl' collection of high profile mopars, he wanted own one of every six pack and hemi car built, hardtop, post, and convertible! these were housed in a BIG pole building. now lots of them were rollers but were all real cars. some were incredible cars.... quite a site to see! Ron would fly over Ar and Ok, Mo and look for salvage yards with Mopars, and then go in and buy ALL their mopars. he had many local guys bring him cars too.

Ron's business was mostly advertising in Hemmings and Mopasr Collectors Guide, shipping parts. he always had some desirable builders there for sale too.
the yard. there were rows upon row of neatly parked cars. most were slant, 318's, and the "real" musclecars in the yard were wrecked or those deemed not restorable. people now restore cars that weren't hardly good parts cars back then!

Ron was a true enthusiasist. he was also a savvy businessman. he made his living in the salvage/ parts business, but he truly loved the hobby too. he come down with colon cancer, had the "bag",, but kept right on going to the end. he had sold off the chevy/ford part of it and concentrated on the mopar.

after his death the business was run by his longtime girlfriend and John, his righthand man for years. one day I made the trip down from north Mo. looking for som e small parts for my 68 charger I was building, and brought a few parts to trade. I was looking for a pair of charger horns, there must have been 40- 50-60 ???? 68-70 chargers, all lined up 2 x2 long row, I NEVER found a horn!!! I asked John the wtf??? this was back in mid 90's ?? I didn't know at the time but the charger horn was unique to that car. NONE left! LOL

after some years the word went out ( word of mouth). IF anybody wants any part or a whole car, come get it as the yard was to be crushed. I couldn't go look, but I heard there were quite a few complete restorable cars left. but early A and early B cars weren't in demand.

Ron was a walking Mopar encyclopedia. he knew every cast number by heart. I brought him some parts on time. of which was a 71 up B body dana, he didn't even measure it. said that's what it is...

the yard encircled the home. a large nice one. funny sight to see 1000's of junkers ALL around this home. it sat way off the highway, and cars all the way around! LOL and his front yard held some " sale" cars, 440-6 hemi max wedge you name it. his basement would hold maybe a special car or so. for instance the Sox and Martin 71 hemi cuda or a 70 challebger hemi convert!!!!!
if Ron figured you were a REAL mopar enthusiast, he would show it ALL to you, all the while answering his ( now dineseur cell phone).... people calling all the while looking for cars, parts........

Ron was a good guy. I bought a front clip for my cuda from him. I had also wanted a pair of rockers they had that were solid. They came out to the yard and picked up the car and took it into the pole barn to pull the interior out of it so they could cut the rockers out. He called me in and asked if I wanted the entire floor pan also because it was solid. Same price either way so I took it all. It was a fun yard just to walks around. hey day i was there he had a 66 hemi charger out front for sale. I think he was asking 6k for it. he had also just rolled in a complete 68 340 formula s fastback.

That's where I used to buy my parts back in the early 90's. Man you just brought back some memories.

Fred B

I made it out there a month before they crushed it all. I got pictures but they're paper, not digital.

There was a dumpster by the gate..... FULL of 8 3/4 housings with the ends cut off. I asked the guy about it and he said they used the centers to drive rollercoasters, so the amusement parks called and bought the pigs, and they had so many that they just cut the housing ends of rather than remove the axles and brakes.

They had every 68-70 charger set aside at the front of the yard, off limits. I asked and he said some guy called and bought every single one of them. I saw several car carriers caring those cars through Republic a few weeks later one morning on my way to work (I lived in mount Vernon).

A week or later I saw an add for that bastardized Dukes of Hazzard movie, and I knew where those chargers were going.

Every car with a v8 in r+r had a hole cut in the inner fender to check the block numbers. When we were there the guy said take what you want, but there was NOTHING left except an odd piece of trim or piece of glass. It was completely picked over. They crushed everything, and nothing, at the same time.

The pics I have aren't that good but I need to post then. Problem was, you needed an airplane or to be there to under stand how big it was. Easily the biggest salvage yard I've ever seen. It blew my mind, and it was overwhelming to be there. If it had been a regular yard instead of mopar only, it still would have been just as overwhelming.

I remember reading about it as a kid a and having no way to get there. By the time I moved down there, I had forgotten all about it being there and missed out on five years of visiting the place. I distinctly remember seeing that big house on the hill and I think mr. Slobes wife or girlfriend or whoever she was when I was there. Super nice gal but they were trying to transition to late model salvage and they couldn't pull it off.

R & R ( owned by Ron Slobe).
"Ron was a true enthusiasist. he was also a savvy businessman."

Thank you for your kind words about my dad. I miss him more and more every day! I have been looking to buy one of my dad's cars for my 18 year old son for a few years now. My son drives a 2006 Pontiac GTO. He recently installed a cam shaft and upgrade valve train. Watching him do this by himself with a few high school buddies brought back a lot of memories of my dad. I attached some photos that I thought you might like to see. I spent every summer with my dad at R&R Auto Salvage. I knew everyone who worked there very well. My little brother, Rocky, Ron's son, is still a big part of my life. If anyone has information about one of my dad's cars that may be for sale, please let me know.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I remember reading all about R&R years ago.I'm guessing it was about 10 or so years ago that I stopped at the property while driving thru Missouri.Not much was left but a few shells.The building next door had a few guys and they said it was OK to walk around. Good luck on your search.

R & R ( owned by Ron Slobe).
"Ron was a true enthusiasist. he was also a savvy businessman."

Thank you for your kind words about my dad. I miss him more and more every day! I have been looking to buy one of my dad's cars for my 18 year old son for a few years now. My son drives a 2006 Pontiac GTO. He recently installed a cam shaft and upgrade valve train. Watching him do this by himself with a few high school buddies brought back a lot of memories of my dad. I attached some photos that I thought you might like to see. I spent every summer with my dad at R&R Auto Salvage. I knew everyone who worked there very well. My little brother, Rocky, Ron's son, is still a big part of my life. If anyone has information about one of my dad's cars that may be for sale, please let me know.

View attachment 1714933813

View attachment 1714933814
Hey Julie,
I was searching in Craigslist and this ad claims to have one of your father's cars. It's a 71 Challenger in Citron Yellow. Car is in rough shape. Needs everything. A full restoration. I don't know if you can validate his claim but maybe worth checking into. Car is in Swanton, Ohio near Toledo. Craigslist ad# 5611687335.

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much!!! Truly appreciate this lead! Definitely worth checking out! I cannot express my gratitude enough for you taking time to share this with me!!!

Thanks Again!

I went there in the early 2000's before all the cars were crushed. I could never understand why that part of the yard was crushed because there is also a GM and Ford yard there too. The cars that were roped off were sold to Mopar City in Illinois and were eventually all transported there. I met a guy just north that bought most of the trucks, he runs a feed store and has some impressive Sweptlines and Sweptsides! I bought a few parts there before it was all crushed.

Love hearing these stories! He was the coolest dad ever! I was too young back then to realize how big my dad's Mopar dream really was.

Here is a little background on why I am searching for my dad's cars. My dad remarried shortly before he died. The salvage yard had around 5000 cars with a car crusher on property. He also had airplanes, motorcycles, trucks, car haulers, forklifts, etc. You name it, he seemed to have it. My dad set up trust fund for my brother and I but a new will was signed days before he died. We were cut out of everything. I did receive a photo album and I am grateful for that!

I am not sure why the cars were sold or crushed. I was sad to hear about it after the fact. My dad was so passionate about having a Mopar museum! The memories I have with my dad are much more valuable than any possession but having his cars would help keep those memories alive forever for my son & I.

Wow! This is the first time I have heard about that purple challenger! I searched Google and found a video tape of my dad from Five Star Productions. It is 73 minutes long and show cases my dad's collection with my dad narrating it! Best treasure I have found of him! I will look for this car on it. Be really great to be able to tour around the USA seeing the cars that are in the video!

I have a 69 cuda that had rusted front frame rails. I found R&R in Hemmings and gave them a call. A woman answered and she was very knowledgeable. As I recall front frame rails were 150 each and a torsion bar crossmember was 200. I asked how much for a front clip and I think it was 450 so that's what I did. I checked with the Shipping/receiving department where I was working and asked if I could have some car parts sent there. (Cheaper if trucked to a business) He said OK so I placed the order. Pretty sure I sent a check cause this was athe least 20 years ago. A couple weeks go by and I received a call from the receiving guy. Jesus F'ing Christ!! You didn't say you were having a whole GD car sent here! The "doghouse" was strapped to a pallet still in the semi trailer. I told the guy just use a fork lift, get it out, drive it down the ramp and put it outside in the parking lot. Luckily a co-worker had an F-150 and it fit neatly in the bed without the pallet. He drove it to my house after work.
On the phone we had discussed what I needed and they neatly sawed through the A pillar by the windshield, through both rockers behind the torsion bar crossmember, and across the floor pans. No fenders or suspension but it included the radiator yoke, inner fender sheet metal, and firewall. Very nice!

If I remember correctly, a guy in Florida bought a blue 70 Hemi RR and nicely documented the restoration on a site called Sandysgarage.com or .org

Sorry you lost your inheritance Julie. Big thank you to your dad. Good to have you on here.

Awesome story. I wish I could find a place like that today. In North Carolina they started crushing every years ago that more than a few years old. Memories are good

I fell in love with my first A body at R and R when I was 16 years old ....I had a 67 valiant at the time but when i saw the 68 formula s fastback barracuda I was in love And have been "hooked "on Mopar's ever since....Ron was A GREAT PERSON ,He always had the time for me and all my questons about "MOPARS" I almost traded my motorcycle for a 69 cuda but my dad said NO (MY DAD WANTED ME TO GET A CHEVY 350 ) THANK GOD I DIDNT LISTEN TO MY DAD. I remember seeing posters "Mopars wanted" in my little town of REED SPRINGS, THAT RON posted at the local gas station. I NEVER DID GET BARRACUDA AND SOME DAY I WILL FIND ONE or it WILL FIND ME LOL.) ...long story shorter My parents got divorced and i moved to Minnesota with mom and found my 340 Challenger that I will never ever sell way too many great times blowing away every GM AND FORD in highschool..in 1990 I went back to missouri to visit my old freinds and sadly i found out that Ron had passed away.. I spent the day there with John and he showed me more 426 Hemi cars and 440 six packs I felt like i was dreaming, I will never forget that day and i will never forget Ron and John and the hospitality they showed me...not to mention I will never be a GM guy..

-
Back