R R U joints

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
OK looking for tipssssssssss,on how to R R the U joints, I am working on front and rear @ Home with no special tools,would a Clamp work.Thanks gang.

Do you have a good vise? That's really all you need. And some assorted size sockets to use as adapters/recievers

I have some old sockets (Deep well) and a vice, Pick out a socket that will fit inside a snap ring and give it a smack with a hammer, remove the snap ring's and pick out a bit bigger socket and knock the fool out of it .. works for me or my young son.

I use a big C clamp and a socket smaller than the yoke opening on 1 side and a socket bigger than the cap but still small enough to sit firmly on the yoke , then I use the clamp to push the cap into the larger of the two sockets , of course I pop the snap rings out first and since the replacements usually come with new snap rings so I don't worry about breaking the old ones I just drift them out with a pointed punch .

YEP I do but its a cheep 1 and in the basement with very little room,how is it done with a vice?

Basically, just like Memike and Cannucky do , only use the vise top squeeze them out using a pusher socket an a catcher socket. That's why you need a good size vise, you gotta crank on it hard sometimes. I always use my vise to re install them so I don't have to beat them with a hammer. However I do have an expensive ball joint press that I use to disassemble them smoothly .

clean the holes with emery cloth until super clean and they will go in fairly easy i also use anti seize .

Don, this will help you, and is the way I do mine.
I can R&R both ujoints in about 10 minutes once it's on the bench using this method, but I just use a 4x4 chunk under the yokes to support the driveline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, just like Memike and Cannucky do , only use the vise top squeeze them out using a pusher socket an a catcher socket. That's why you need a good size vise, you gotta crank on it hard sometimes. I always use my vise to re install them so I don't have to beat them with a hammer. However I do have an expensive ball joint press that I use to disassemble them smoothly .

Sweet a press

Don, this will help you, and is the way I do mine.
I can R&R both ujoints in about 10 minutes once it's on the bench using this method, but I just use a 4x4 chunk under the yokes to support the driveline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEdul7nscY

Looks simple enough,do i do the same with the front 1 as well.Ihave done the rear ones on outher cars years ago with a BFH for sure,but for some reason i had a vib going on after.:pale:

Looks simple enough,do i do the same with the front 1 as well.Ihave done the rear ones on outher cars years ago with a BFH for sure,but for some reason i had a vib going on after.:pale:

Four big impotant tips;
1. Never hit the yoke in a place that could bend it. (like out at the cap ring)
2. Never let the driveline tube take the impact, (Support it under a yoke.)
3. Be sure the ujoints are centered (the clips can help tell this)
4. ALWAYS mark the line and yoke so they go back the way they came off.
(putting a yoke back 180 degrees from the way it came of can cause an out of balance driveline)

If you ever have to beat the hell out of it something is wrong. (clip still in, or something)
When I put the new ones in I drive the first cap deeper than the guy in the video, so that the opposing cap easily slips back on.
Then I drive the whole thing back through till it bottoms on the clip on the other side of the yoke.
A light smack on each side of the yoke after it's all back together helps a lot to center the ujoint and relieve any stress so the trunion moves nice and smooth (like in the video)

Try to do this in a place where you can find, clean and re grease the needles in case they fall out. :D
It happens if one isn't used to doing them.

-
Back