Racing Shells???

-

sporty76

Sporty76
Reaction score
So I have looked high and low...
I asked google and it found nothing...
I asked jeeves...
But he's english and hence knows nothing about mopars...
So, I ask my fellow mopar enthusiasts...
Here is my dillema:
I got a 1976 Dodge Dart Sport. I love it, but it's seen better times. With noticeable damage to almost every part of the body, be it dents, rust, or what have you, it is clear something must be done. And I hate to replace every panel one by one. Some prior owner must have chopped a top at one point because the pillars have noticable, and terrible, weld spots. So what are my options??? I'm not gonna let Carlos down at the local body shop bondo it up... And the resto shop is gonna charge me an arm and a leg. And just to put steel back on it??

NO!!! What I need is a racing shell. Fiberglass, lightweight, not as proud as american steel, but fast as Speed Racer himself. I know they offer it for some cars, but what can we A-body guys do???

HELP!!!!!!

so did it hit 100 on the out in the west side today?? i am in Ford, about 30 miles west of Spokane and it was only in the high 80's....:angry7:

That site has some great stuff. It's better than all of the other replacement panels that I've found so far. Not a huge selection, but better.

And yes, 2 days in a row that I know of, its hit 100+. Today and yesterday for sure.

You will not see anything for other than the parts that can be unbolted for removal made in fiberglass. The reason is the uni-body structure...the main part of the body (front clip, floor pans, roof structure, and rear clip) are what provides the "frame" for our cars. Try to replace any of those with the fiberglass panels and it will not stand up to the stresses and crack apart. You can put in fiberglass if you are willing to build a tubular chassis to replace the removed metal, bu me thinks that would be more expensive than replacing some bad sheetmetal.

I'm thinkin your right... That would be an entirely fab'd job. I am unaware of anyone who makes a tube chassis or the fiberglass parts required to replace those parts.... Thanks for the insight, that had never really occured to me. I guess I will replace the parts with sheet metal. At least until a better option affords itself. As for the *front clips?* alongside the windshield.... Pillars... whatev... I will need to replace that and I don't know how I will go about that. I will have to post pics on some other thread. But thanks for all the info guys!!

www.usbody has firewall back fiberglass bodies. You have to special order them though. That and you would need a full tube chassis car to mount it to. So unless you are building a bare bones drag car this is not realy an option for a street driven car.

Mabby try looking out for some one with a car that has the interior and drive train remover from it and is being leting go for cheep then switch your interior and drive traine over to that car.

Good luck to you.
Russell

wow! I love this site! thank you everyone for all of your ideas. I love the idea of a firewall back body. between that and the usbody front package id be set. Id love to do it, because 99% of the time this car is going to be a drag car. plus with all of the torque im looking at trying to get out of it, a tube chassis wouldn't hurt.

However, I couldn't fab one myself if my life depended on it. So, if that is the way I end up going, anyone know how I can get my hands on a tube chassis? Maybe someone in WA that could fab one up?? Thanks again for all of your help guys! keep those answers coming, I really appreciate em!!

So I have looked high and low...
I asked google and it found nothing...
I asked jeeves...
But he's english and hence knows nothing about mopars...
So, I ask my fellow mopar enthusiasts...
Here is my dillema:
I got a 1976 Dodge Dart Sport. I love it, but it's seen better times. With noticeable damage to almost every part of the body, be it dents, rust, or what have you, it is clear something must be done. And I hate to replace every panel one by one. Some prior owner must have chopped a top at one point because the pillars have noticable, and terrible, weld spots. So what are my options??? I'm not gonna let Carlos down at the local body shop bondo it up... And the resto shop is gonna charge me an arm and a leg. And just to put steel back on it??

NO!!! What I need is a racing shell. Fiberglass, lightweight, not as proud as american steel, but fast as Speed Racer himself. I know they offer it for some cars, but what can we A-body guys do???

HELP!!!!!!

If the car is that far gone I would probably just find another car and use the one you have for parts. A full fiberglass body along with a custom built chassis to put under it will be hugely expensive.

find yourself another car thats stripped i know they are around get fiberglass hood decklid doors fenders bumpers or whole front clip

-
Back