Radiator 4 a slant

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
OK so Im having a problem with the cooling on the dart. I replaced the therm and found the old 1 backward. I put the new 1 in correctly and it heats up even quicker.Coolant has been flushed and looks good. I dont want a heating issue wiht the new motor so what other options are there for another bigger rad? I dont want to go alum so thats out & if I have to drill & bolt thats ok. Thanks for the help.

So what condition is your factory rad in? Why not have it serviced?
Just trying to see why you need a new/bigger one. Also Alum one is easer to find.
Frank

you are saying new "ENGINE"(a motor is found in an electical device_LOL)was the engine baked to remove all the gunk inside the water jackets and what not?

The new ENGINE is cleaned I dont want to take a chance on overheating it so Im thinking(trouble :help:) that a bigger one will prevent troubles. The exhisting has been flushed and came out clean. As it is now it heats up quick and stays in the danger zone,cools a bit with the heater on,very unpleasent on 100*+ days. But the odd thing is the faster I go the more it heats

I have a very nice OME radiator that may work for you.

I had a temp gage lie to me many times,:clock: and a new motor will run hotter for a while, and even if the radiator was flushed there still can be some parts of the radiator plugged up. have it boiled out and checked for flow.
A shroud and good fan like OldVart said could make this problem go away.
Just my 1 1/2 cents worth

You may want to look at your timing and advance curve. This has been know to cause over heating. What are your engine specs. You may have other things go on. Ive had several stout builds get hot.
Frank

OK I guess I got a bit excited when I wrote this,could be driving the hot dart on a 98* day. Anyway I still have the original motor in the car and have replaced the temp sw.,no shroud(didnt have one)no mounting holes,and original fan. Im not to worried about the current engine but just trying to prepare for the future. I do have a flex fan with 7 blades that I wil try.Is there a difference between a/c and none radiators? This only has 2 rows.Thanks for all the input. KP the lower hose on mine is on the pass side. Sorry.Hey Mike I just got a call that my head is done I'll post some pics when I get it. Yeah just like Christmas!!!

Fresh re-builds have always run a bit warm for me for the first 300-500 miles.

Check the temperature gauge, thermostat, & sending unit. A candy thermometer will have adequate temp range to check the coolant. (Just make sure it's real clean before you give it back to wife...unless you have a bigger agenda. LOL:snakeman:).

A strange thing I've heard is that in some cases that coolant does not spend enough time in the radiator to actually be cool. One gent made a restrictor plate with a 7/8" hole in it ILO a thermostat to cure the problem. The flip side of this problem is to insure the radiator fins are straight and that there is good air flow through the radiator. The shroud will improve the efficiency of the fan.

Have heard mixed reviews of /6s and flex fans. I have a six blade Flexlite on a moderately heated up 318 & 2 row radiator with no issues. Have yet to get A/C on line, so that may change.

Thanks for the insight 2darts, I havent yet told my wife i donated her rolling pin to my tool collection. Used it to open the wheel wells for the bigger tires. WOW what an amazing contracption-so many kitchen tools have secret second identities :cheers:.

You say you flushed the radiator but did you have it flow tested by a radiator shop? may need to have it rodded if it is not flowing enough. usually when a car gets hotter at higher speeds and runs cooler with the heater on it means your not flowing enough water for the heat to be transfered by the air forced thru it at moving speeds. Generally a fan will not have an effect on the running temperature at speeds over 40-45 mph as the wind is forced threw your radiator is all that is needed. The fan is only for standind still and very low speeds.

Thanks for all the help and advise. When I get the current motor out I will have this one cored and cleaned. There isnt any vivible damage on the outside so hopefully it will be OK. I was just curious if there was a 3 row that would fit possibly from another year. If not this works I dont drive it enough right now to cause any major damage to my back up drivetrain.

Dean, I'll have to 2nd the radiator comments.
Have a look at the 2 radiators in this thread;
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=43837
Symptoms were overheating at speeds over 55 but not at idle, even if it was +90* outside.
As for the difference, there is a 19" and a 22" and I've run both on my A/C /6 here in FL and both did just fine on the stock motor.

Thanks,that is some pretty amazing stuff. I have some long wire that may fit. It will have to wait until next week though but it does look very awsome. That is my next car project. Ill post pics as I go.

-
Back