Radio Delete Cars

-
here is when i re did my inserts with the correct plate. also another car we built (only pic of dash i have currently)

Attachments

• 100_3510.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 394
  • 100_5261.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 362
  • 100_5234.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 356
A couple of pics of my factory radio delete plate (excuse the smear on it, the po had something stuck on it!) and my factory fender plug. If you look closely just under the dash in the radio delete plate pic you can see the sun shining on the floor showing nothing under the speaker grill.
I agree with you Rani about looking at and under the dash. A real caution flag to me!

Glad I bumped into this Radio delete/antenna plug string which confirms my digging and research.

My '72 Swinger 340 Special came coded radio delete (but when I got it, there was a radio & antenna). So, I think Holmes has it right but here's what I found out. With the radio block-off plate for the base am radio released in the late '60's or so according to the part numbers, #277057/#2884773 – Chrysler always used a closed-off fender with it. Then, in '72, based on the antenna delete fender plug #3501331, they introduced it for 'C' bodies but fender holes were all the same size, so these plugs were used for A-bodies as well. You will still find closed-off fenders but during assembly, if a fender with a hole was placed on an A-body, but was radio delete, they could place one of these plugs into the hole. With that said, try and find one of these dash block-off plates (thanks Joel) or fender plugs, wow, hens teeth I tell ya!!! ChaChing.

Here's a few pics as I assemble my '72 Swinger 340 Special... oh, and that's a 3 speed behind my 340 - coded that way too.

B5_Assembly-Trans-3sp.shifter-1.jpg
Antenna.Delete-fender-plug.jpg
Radio.Delete-block-off-plate.jpg

My 66 GT delete car has a black paper glued where the speaker goes and no holes for the antenna and a plug where the antenna wire goes thru the body.

Mine is a radio delete car from the factory, i am putting in speakers, and a hidden audio setup. Essentially its a 4 channel amplifier that plugs into your ipod. Iphone, or android as the head unit. Easy to hide the plug in jack wires or add a plug in jack inside your ashtray. No need for an antenna. Play your stored music, or pandora. Best of both worlds. Look ma no antenna!!!

I have the multipedal option, no A/C , and radio delete. Gotta have tunes for trips though hidden audio. Woodys custom shop ebay. So small you can hide it almost anywhere.

I have a '67 Coronet Deluxe that is radio delete,it has a black paper cover in place of the speaker and is retained by 4 nuts,the cover looks to be the same material that the glove box is made of.Also,it never had a hole for an antenna.

Made my own dash speaker mount for dual 3.5" speakers out of 2024 T3 .063" aluminum. Traced shape from original speaker mount frame. I will paint it flat black, and cover the speakers with black speaker grille cloth when i install them. My car was a radio delete, some jackass prior to me hacked a hole in the RH fender and jammed a ford antenna in there with one of those rectangle bezels. I need to weld that all back up.

Going to run dual 6x9s in the back deck, and 4x6 in the kick panels. Will buy the moulded 4x6 kick panels w speakers built in. I made my own rear deck panel out of 1/16" masonite. Found these nice 60s vintage 6x9 metal grilles to use. Those will get painted semigloss black, rear deck will get black naugahyde glued over it.

Thank God the delete plate was in the car when i bought it. It had some call letters and numbers scrawled on it like a prev owner was a mobile ham radio or CB operator, along with holes drilled into the ashtray to a mount radio. Thankfully no extra dash holes to fill, easy fix, another ashtray lol. Dash is currently snoozing in a padded box in my loft waiting for its eventual installation.

downloadfile-60.jpg

downloadfile-33.jpg

20151126_174644.jpeg

20151126_174650.jpeg

20170416_110334.jpg

Last edited:
Sheet plastic from a hobby / model outlet, some accurate dimensions from an original, and you can make your own.

Sheet plastic from a hobby outlet
That plate looks identical to the one that was in my 71 d100, so dont over look trucks if you are looking for a plate.

My current 78 power wagon is a radio delete, no hole in fender.
Weird thing is it does not have a block off plate, it is actually molded into the plastic dash, I can take a picture if anybody is interested.
My dad had a 79 express we restored. Found an NOS instrument panel face. It was also radio delete. We added the woodgrain veneer off the old beat face. Its a blow moulded plastic glue on insert. We carefully lifted it off and transferred it. Then i carefully cut out the moulded in delete from it, and filed it smooth leaving the chrome edging intact.

Sheet plastic from a hobby outlet

My dad had a 79 express we restored. Found an NOS instrument panel face. It was also radio delete. We added the woodgrain veneer off the old beat face. Its a blow moulded plastic glue on insert. We carefully lifted it off and transferred it. Then i carefully cut out the moulded in delete from it, and filed it smooth leaving the chrome edging intact.

My 78 power wagon has a radio delete dash in it, that the original owner never cut for a radio.

-
Back