Radio questions and speakers

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Not sure which forum thread the Radio falls into but....
I have the original AM radio, which is not coming on. I suspect it will work, but right now the entire dash panel is not working. 1966 dart 270 with 6cyl 225

My question is to the speakers. Is there a wiring chart for the radio and speakers? I see one speaker in the dash, which appears to be completely rotted out. Then on the back seat shelf there is 3 speakers, which are all new. Speaker cables have been run to the back.

Is the dash speaker a normal size that can be replaced?
Also I am curious as to anyone who has attempted to upgrade the radio? Like added a FM or a iPhone input somewhere? CAn it be wired into the existing radio (for power and spekaer runs)

Radio discussions don't get very far on here sometimes....most say "listen to the v8" but i digress.

Check out mymopar.com tools / reference section for the wiring diagrams.

It's entirely possible to wire in what you want, but it's gonna take some research and an engineering degree or some money.
There's at least one company that makes head units that look like the originals with new guts and all kinds of new features ( or you can send them yours ), but they are expensive.
The dash speaker is something kooky like a 3x7 or something like that.

Pretty sure you can pick up a dual post stereo for cheap that has an aux input and not have to worry about re-wiring the old AM stocker.

My car already had the dash cut for a newer single din unit so I went 80's rocker with it... 2 12's, 2 6's and 2 6x9's and a decent 400watt amp...not make your ears bleed but drowns out all of the kids crazy music at intersections with either exhaust from the 360 or the stereo...win win ;)

A guy restored my dash speaker nicely. You're on your own with the other stuff but if you need contact info for the speaker let me know.
Along with the factory AM dash radio, I have a pair of 6x9's on the rear shelf, a big amp, and an "ipod" for my source. Best car stereo I ever had and you can't even see it.

Id leave the factory radio in, and remote mount a modern head unit possibly in the glove box,
Also cant remember who but there is a member on here that makes a bolt in plate to go from one 4x10 to two 4" or 5" round speakers that way you can run a lf rf lr rr channel for each speaker, if you use the single speaker in the dash and three in the back with the two wire motorolla radio then you have to wire them in parallel, not the best sound quality but will play none the less, most of these cars radios are a single channel so if your using more than one speaker you have to wire them in parallel, its kinda a waste of time, i wouldnt waste your money on a retro sound radio or something that is a classic style modern radio, they are junk, have had my retro sound radio sent back twice now, if i thought about it i would of just hidden mounted a nice 100 dollar alpine or equivalent modern head unit and be done but thats my opinion

I have the original AM radio,

Ok, fine, but so far we don't know whether you are talking about "some year" of 40 years of Darts, a radio equipped 1929 hemi powered Farmall,

hqdefault.jpg

or "that stuff whut came in" a WWII Boeing B-17

B17Radio.jpg

IN OTHER WORDS would you please state what you are working on, year, make, and model

NOW

If you have a factory rear speaker setup, this is (might be poorly) documented in the SERVICE MANUALS. By that I mean FACTORY service manuals.

You can download quite a few years of them, here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

and more here

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Also from the above "MyMopar" site also has lots and lots of other documentation, browse around there a little bit.

This is jerry's message from another thread on them, you can e mail him for a quote for the dual speaker brackets and has three to choose from depending on your year and model

"Good news! I now have a form you can use to submit your order information for my dual-speaker brackets. Fill it in and I will be notified immediately of your order. Then, I will contact you as soon as I can about payment and shipping.

If you are just interested in learning more, please send me an e-mail to [B][U][email protected][/U][/B] or a private message to '74 Sport here and I will get back to you ASAP. If you didn't know, I have brackets to fit all A, B and E-bodies from '62 - '76, as shown in the photo below.

Thanks,
Jerry

As always, thanks to FABO for the ad"
View attachment image.jpg

Bringing this thread back 2 life. I have verified I have power coming on the old wire that used to be attached to the radio. Also I have ground, I am getting about 11.4 volts.

So I have the CD stereo that came out of a 2005 Pontiac. I cant seem to figure out how to wire it? I tried the usual pins on the back and nothing. Any stereo should work in the 1966 Dart, right? It is just a 2 wire system. That should be able to run any newer stereo on the market, right? Or Am i missing something?

I have NO idea how an 05 Ponch radio is wired. Some new radios have a "memory" wire which might be a factor. I'm told that some GM OEM radios must be "reset" when removed---it's an anti theft feature.

-
Back