Ragtop Restoration

-

hemifish69

Dain bramaged Hemi freak
Reaction score
I need help. (mental)

If somebody gives me a HUUUUUGE price for something I want to buy, I initially balk.

If I have an idea about what it costs, and I can roll it around in my head for a while, then the price seems more reasonable when I hear it.

Here's my latest purchase: a 1969 318 Barracuda Convertible-$2000

Year One parts arrived yesterday: Quarters, 1 piece floor pan, rockers, trunk floor, extensions, door hinges- $2000.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: What is a reasonable price, to the nearest $2k for somebody to weld all that in?

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 195
I think you'll find the parts are cheap compared to the cost of quality body work.
Good luck

I'm gonna guess around 5K.. (not painted)

I kind of got that.
What I'm asking, since I have to dig the car out of storage, put it on my trailer, drag it to the shop, there's some numbers in my head that are going to have an effect on what I do.
The shop is supposed to only do the fitting and welding.

I take it in, and they say $5000, it stays and they do it now.

I take it in, and they say 10000, it goes home and I save more money, and reevaluate rescuing this car.

I take it in and they say 15000, I tell them to pack sand, I'll go to somebody who wants to work.

And somewhere in there, there's always the possibility that I buy a real nice welder, better than my 110v gas shielded mig, and do it myself, because I have done this before.

So back to the original question: I don't want to waste my one day off per week hauling the ragtop around of I'm just going to stuff it back into storage.

My iPhone didn't refresh and while I typed out my reply, I got more than the original single reply

Your 110v mig welder should be sufficient to weld automotive panels. It doesn't take a lot to get good weld penetration on light guage sheet steel. If you take good measurements and test fit everything before final welding you should be able to take that job on yorself. It will be a big help if you have a friend close by to help double check measurements and fitment and for moral support. If this is your first go-around with sheet metal replacement I can understand the intimidation. Take a look around this site. There is a lot of fantastic work performed by inexperienced home restorers who just rolled down their sleeves (for welding) and jumped in with both feet. Plus it's FUN!!!

You're right about the 110 mig, it is the best for sheet metal, it's just that it dates from 1994, and it may or may not have a lot of life left in it. I've always wanted one of those big miller units that can be used for everything, including tig. That would be the benefit for me, to come out the other side with a big a$$ welder, instead of the big money disappearing into some shop's pocket.

-
Back