raiator fluid gushing out of P/S bolt

-

71 360 scamp

Reaction score
I think i really messed up, so im going to start from the begining just in case everythings related.
So last week i was driving and the Power steering belt flew off and the car over heated.
I was close to my house and was able to get the car home by pushing it.
I losened the two bolts that hold in the power steering pump and put a new belt on, i had a LOT of trouble getting the pullys aligned and repetedly untighted and retighted.
There still not straight. BUT I was just working on it a second ago and i loosened the top bolt connected to the block more than i usually did and radiator fluid started gushing out. I undid the plug on the radiator to try and stop the fluid from going through the block. So it stopped leaking but now the bolt wont go back in, it just spins and wont retighten.
Any ideas on what i should do??? Did i really mess up or is this a normalish problem?
Thanks in advance

Yeah, that sucks but right now i dont really care about the bolt, what about the fluid gushing out? is it suppose to happen? Or is there a crack somewhere?

Some of the bolts go into water passages. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which.

All I can say is that if that's one of them, then it's normal. Usually you just put a little sealant on those bolts during assembly.

We just mounted some of the stuff on the front of dads 273 and any that we thought led to coolant passages, we put thread sealant with teflon on them. Loctite makes it.

Assume SB, bottom hole just above oil pan is a blind hole not open to oil or water, next up is open to coolant passage. Next one up, on water pump is open to water, one above that is open to lifter valley. Hopefully the bolt is bad and a tap clean up of the block and new bolt will solve it. If not a helicoil will be needed.

IMAG0335.jpg

I managed to get it back in, refilled the radiator ad started it, let it run for 2 minutes, no leaking.

On a side note, i cant get the power steering pulley to line up with the fan pulley its always crooked, any ideas on that?

And thanks everyone, i really appreciate the help.

Maybe post a better pic of the pulley setup. Glad ya got the leak fixed. There may be a bushing/spacer required on the ps to make it fit, but Im not sure.

Yes, that bolt leads to water. Just put a little RTV on the threads and you're good to go....or sometimes the rust and radiator crud will also help seal it.:D

I really clueless since I dont know what your working on. There are a whole bunch of different p/s pumps, brackets, pulleys, and belt arrangements. Many p/s belts dont carry the water pump.

.........looks like ur missing the triangle stiffening plate that goes right behind the front mount bolted to the water pump, then u will need a longer bolt.........kim.......

Alright I'm just happy to know that i didn't break something. I'll post some more pictures of the P/S pump if i cant get the pulleys straight. Thanks everyone

-
Back