Raised port heads

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 74 duster with a 400 based 470 stroker with stage 6 heads. Supposedly they have raised exhaust ports. I heard then that the headers will bolt on to a 440 with std ex ports. But because the 440 is wider is that not a major concern? Thanks. Kim

I can't say for all but TTI specifically notes every head that will fit with every suspension system. Stock, rms, etc. and every engine as well.

I have a 74 duster with a 400 based 470 stroker with stage 6 heads. Supposedly they have raised exhaust ports. I heard then that the headers will bolt on to a 440 with std ex ports. But because the 440 is wider is that not a major concern? Thanks. Kim
Did you ever get a final answer on this?
It way my understanding that the exhaust ports were raised about 3/4" so putting those heads on a low deck block ends up with the exhaust port in about the same position as a standard port head on a 440, since the low deck is basically 3/4" shorter than a 440.
Since the head and block angles are all the same, the low deck block with raised port heads should end up as the same width when measured at the exhaust ports.
This is all going by memory, and I am no expert.

No I did not confirm yes or no. Thanks for your input. That is my thinking also. I may have to find out on my own. Kim

When I put a low deck 400 into my 75 Dart Sport with TTI 2" headers, I had to modify one tube on the driver side because it made contact with the pitman arm. Also had very slight contact at oil pan rail with one tube, but I forget which side, and a tiny dent in the tube fixed that.
The instructions for those headers warned of this when using stock heads, or stock port location. I was using stock cast iron heads. I do believe it would have cleared everything with raised port heads or with an RB block.
As a side note, I originally had the same engine and TTI headers in a 67 b-body and there was no clearance issues with chassis or steering at all.

I wish I would of thought to measure b4 we pulled the stock 440 out to replace it with the 470 stroker. It would of been easy as it had fenderwell feaders. Kim

I wish I would of thought to measure b4 we pulled the stock 440 out to replace it with the 470 stroker. It would of been easy as it had fenderwell feaders. Kim

Kim, I run raised port victor knock offs on a 440/505 , ,w/ TTI headers , in a 68 fastback , no room to spare anywhere , everything is tight , not touching anything/anywhere ,
IMG_0474 (1).JPG
but no dents in the tubes w/ an aftermarket front end.

Bob, I have stock front end. CPPA headers b4 TTI bought them. I know it was a ***** to put them in on my 470 b engine stroker with stage 6 heads which have raised exhaust ports. Kim

Just to clarify one point.......
Stage 6’s don’t have the exhaust ports raised 3/4” compared to stock heads.
It’s more like 3/8”.

The Indy 440-1’s and SR’s are raised 3/4”.

So then my headers probably won’t work with the 440 block and SRs? Is that what ur saying? I was told the SRs were standard exhaust port. Good thing I have a the set of Hooker fenderwells that we’re on it with the 440. Thanks. Kim

-
Back