Raising Dart Rear End

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
I would like to raise my 69 Dart's rear end about an inch or so.
I allready put 15" rims w/235/60-15's all around and that raised me about 1 1/2" front and back.
I'm wondering if there is a shock absorber that will help me with this rather than putting a lifter of some type on the springs. I want to change the shocks all around so I'll be buying a set anyway. (Existing shocks are old but do ok still)
Thanks for the input.
Darius

The right way to lift the rear would be via correctly arched leafsprings. I noticed when using some KYBS that they lifted the rear of my car about 3/4" but that lasted for less than a year and then they settled down to where they were before. Of course, you could also install air shocks or a spacer (and longer u-bolts). There are different takes on installing these though.

I put air shock's on my car. I don't jack them up so high that they are guady (sp),
but when the family and I go out to a show or cruise, and I carry a lot of stuff in the trunk, it's nice to have a good stance instead of dragging the *** on the ground.

You could go with S/S springs. I would stay away from air shocks though, they can put alot more stress on the shock mounts. You could also just go to a spring shop and see if they can re-arch your springs or build a set to suit you. Blocks are another way you could go, but for lifting purposes, they are kinda cheesy. They work great for lowering purposes though. Personally, Id go with a new set of springs or having the originals modified.

I mentioned before that I recalled reading that Chrysler springs were supposed have very little arch at rest. The engineers did this for better handling.
I think I read this in the Sheppard chassis manual.
Does anyone know different?
I didn't find this out till I had already bought a new set of Mopar springs for my E body which I THOUGHT was saggy in the rear.
Turned out no different between the old and new.

Just be aware that when you change the stiffness or arch of the springs you change the steering characteristics of the car. (Stiffer rear means more tendency to overseer I think).
What I did was take a set of F body springs and swap leaves around with my A body set till I got what I wanted for my hauler. I laid them out and eyeballed what combination would not lift my rear up much but make a heavier spring for loads. That way the car wouldn’t squat down and rub the tires when I put stuff in it.

-
Back