rally dash colors

-

dan5354

Reaction score
I was wondering what colors are used on the rally dash. I got mine re-chromed and I'm detailing the rest. Is the black a semi-gloss? Does the silver (argent) have any flake in it or is just a dull aluminum. Should I just go to the paint store and see what they list for the mopar interior silver and use that? I also need to do the center of the console plate, so that might be a good option. I checked all the old rally dash restore threads and didn't seem to be able to find out exactly what is correct for a 67 Barracuda. Thanks in advance

Here's mine

Black is not gloss and the argent has no flakes in it.

Attachments

• newdash03 (Medium).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 154
  • newdash12 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 170
Looks great. I'm going to assume your outsource metallized the entire backside of the bezel also. If that's the case, the illuminated cavity wont look exactly right. It's not a huge issue but... the factories lighting engineers left the inside of the illuminated cavity white and painted some spots black. This was to control flares, glares, unevenness in the backlighting.

Thanks for the help - here's how it turned out. I got it re-chromed at Chrometech In WI. I did the detail painting and assembly. Chrome Bob gave me some tips on how to detail it since he usually does the whole job himself from stripping to re-assembly. The pictures aren't the best
View attachment 1714775058

View attachment 1714775059

View attachment 1714775060

How much did Chrometech charge?

It sounds like you just had them strip and rechrome with no painting at all?

Thanks Redfish- you wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you?

I could take pics I guess. You might have a tough time masking the backside of the illuminated cavity so the white spray paint doesn't overspray through to you finished face side. That would suck.
I sacrificed a set of lenses to aid in masking for interior white. That is the first paint I add. Followed with the small spots of flat black that factory deemed necessary.
Unless you're shooting for 100 point correct... most wouldn't notice the difference without both panels side by side. Maybe someone else who left theirs as received can chime in here.

Chrometech charged me $338 - I took it apart and stripped it with brake fluid, but he said he would have to strip with his secret method anyway just to guarantee that it was done well enough. There were some spots that weren't completely clean anyway so that was a good thing. He did some plastic repair too since he wanted to do it after he stripped it. I did all the detail painting and re-assembly myself. I think it was a good deal since most places charge nearer to $500 to do the whole thing. I was able to pay for a new airbrush and have some fun doing some of it myself.

Hey Redfish - you're talking about the back of the plastic bezel right? I don't remember what the back of that looked like, but I taped the back of the metal rings that go behind the lenses so the white and flat black details on those wouldn't get overspray when I repainted the inside of the rings. Those are some curious details to be sure.

On another subject - you were helping me figure out why my wiper arms were hitting the trim of my windshield and found out the wiper arms on mine are too long. You mentioned having extras. Would you be interested in selling a pair?

Hey Redfish - you're talking about the back of the plastic bezel right? I don't remember what the back of that looked like, but I taped the back of the metal rings that go behind the lenses so the white and flat black details on those wouldn't get overspray when I repainted the inside of the rings. Those are some curious details to be sure.

On another subject - you were helping me figure out why my wiper arms were hitting the trim of my windshield and found out the wiper arms on mine are too long. You mentioned having extras. Would you be interested in selling a pair?

yeah the black and white on the metal rings is part of the same factory treatment. There are a couple of small steps further that the factory didn't spend money to do. Painting the back of every gauge screen( especially the speedometer ) flat white and painting the OEM tachometers housing too would have helped but I'll assume they would need small spots of flat black in those places also.
Light fixtures in general... To get light to travel in a direction a parabolic shaped reflector does that. Flashlights, auto exterior lights, etc... To get light to illuminate an area evenly flat white cavities and shades do that. Touches of flat black absorbs unwanted light.
How these facts applied to the instruments panels is known. What difference the chrome on the back of a bezel makes is what I don't know. I never left one chromed.
While we're inside the instrument panels... One owner thought it would be a good idea to paint the inside of the pot metal housing with worlds finest chrome in a can. Another went so far as to send his off and have it powder coated in a dark blue.
Both were major mistakes.
As for the wiper arms and blades, I'll have to check. I remember selling one pair of 67 anti-sail type.

-
Back