Rallye dash ground?

-

70net440

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question. Rewiring a 70 Dart Swinger with rallye dash. Does the cluster have a ground wire or does it get grounded through the mounting screws? The only ground I could find in the wiring diagram was on the voltage reducer for the fuel level gauge.

It gets grounded through the mounting screws into the dash frame. I ran an actual ground wire off one of the screws on the back of the cluster to a screw on the frame. My dash lights got WAYYY brighter after running a dedicated ground.

the entire car relies on a chassis ground. The path is a daisy chain of hardware instead of a actual wire. On the rally panel, each circuit board has 3 screws into the pot metal housing. Those screws have kept washers. Remove the screws, clean the washer and the copper pad on the board to ensure contact there. Those screws are too shallow and the pot metal is weak so don't add ring terminals or over tighten them. The 3 screws at center pod are in the same pot metal and longer too so... add a ring terminal and toothed washer to the lower center screw, 6 inch length of wire and male/female terminals to have a service disconnect hidden behind the column cover. Approx' 2 feet of wire from there will reach to where ever you choose to terminate the ground. Another ring terminal and toothed washer and a screw.
Behind the left kick panel is the optimal location. Somewhere that you'll not have to remove it again. You may want to power up and test the panel before reinstall or totally remove next time. Cant do that if you detached your ground wire during the process of getting in there.
Additionally.. It doesn't matter what option you may have in the center pod but... If its a tach, we just gave it a proper ground.

-
Back