rallyx?

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
i havent been on here for awhile. i been busy with school and my other projects lol. i got two subarus and have been getting into rally and rally cross. well i am gonna sell my subie but still wanna race on something other then the strip. so i was wondering if anyone has rallyed a bodies? or early a bodies? i found like a mid 60s valiant 2 door with the /6 that would be pretty fun and light. so has anyone raced their a bodies off road?

I remember seeing some old photos with Dusters Rallying in the snow in Michigan.
Rally is definetly the most fun you can have behind the wheel.

ya lol. i dont think a fast car for the street for me is to smart lol i get into trouble in my slow ol subaru so i figured some off roading would be better and funner lol!!

Scott Harvey off roaded Abodies starting in the early 60's. There are instructions in the early Direct Connection manuals how to make one. Templetes for skid plates, how to mount and early A-body gas tank in a later A-body for more capacity, etc....

sweet any idea where i can find some of that? and what motor did they put in there? i would think light weight so /6 but im not sure how fast you could get a slantie for this kinda racing. im not doubting the / but havent seen in done. dont ban me just yet but i was thinking look into some sorta new motor swap like a silvia motor or possibly a subaru motor with a standalone engine management system and a more modern trans. just thinking out loud lol i also had an idea and probably not a great one but subarus have a full front and rear crossmembers so you could potentialy make our cars independant suspension and awd. im not sure how you could get power to the front wheels unless you do use a subaru motor and trans and mount it pretty far forward. a well set up rwd should do fine for rallyx for sure but awd would be cool for stage rally. like i said im just thinking outloud so tell me what you think lol.

sweet any idea where i can find some of that? and what motor did they put in there? i would think light weight so /6 but im not sure how fast you could get a slantie for this kinda racing. im not doubting the / but havent seen in done. dont ban me just yet but i was thinking look into some sorta new motor swap like a silvia motor or possibly a subaru motor with a standalone engine management system and a more modern trans. just thinking out loud lol i also had an idea and probably not a great one but subarus have a full front and rear crossmembers so you could potentialy make our cars independant suspension and awd. im not sure how you could get power to the front wheels unless you do use a subaru motor and trans and mount it pretty far forward. a well set up rwd should do fine for rallyx for sure but awd would be cool for stage rally. like i said im just thinking outloud so tell me what you think lol.

They first used /6 before the V-8's were introduced. Then all small block V-8.

Don't run before you walk. Go to some rallycrosses before you buy/do anything. Figure out what going on. Otherwise, you are just operating in a vacuum.

You'd have to find a vintage DC "bible" from the early/mid 80's that has the section divided up into technical bulletins.

ok lol. ya i always build a bunch of cars in my head lol. all that would be a huge project. really cool if you could do it clean and maby use mopar power plant. i will hopefully go to a few races this summer and maby even race in one or two in my dd. i will for sure get a feel for it before i do much with a car

Hey Tyler I used to do quite a bit of RallyX back in the day. In the late 90's-2002 I ran a couple of cars. I know that they aren't abodies, but they were fun.

I ran a VW GTI in production street tire class. I was fun and did well, but I had to step up. I built a Group 2 car from a gutted Toyota Starlet. Group 2 was under 1600cc's, 2wd and rally tires. That car was a blast and only weighed 1,600 lbs full of fuel. The cool part about it was the fact that it was a tiny car and rear wheel drive. I built an engine and trans from a Corolla GTS 4AGE and a 5 speed. That engine had some balls past 6K. I would set my rev limiter to 8K and hardly ever lift. I had adjustable coilovers at all 4 corners and a lincoln locker in the rear. What a blast. In my last year I was running I was spanking guys who would bring out their WRX's because they thought they bought a rally car. Most would quit after the first run, because they didn't want to hurt their car.

Sorry about the pics, but my scanner is not working. They are pictures of pictures. Good luck with your build. My only advice is to build it strong, because you will find the weak points really fast. You can see my GTI falling apart in the first picture. The first picture of the Starlet was a day that I was taking it up Jeep trails. Guys in Jeeps couldn't figure out how I got it to the top of the mountain. LOL

Rallygti.jpg

Rallygti2.jpg

Rallystarlet.jpg

Rallystarlet2.jpg

nice cars!! i like how you did cars outta the norm. everyone and their mom has a wrx or a 240sx lol thats y i wanna do an a body

-
Back