RAM 545 RFE Trans into '69 Dart

-

69DarttoArt

Reaction score
Folks, this is how our "FrankenFloor" turned out after hours of hammering on the old trans hump sheetmetal, a lot of welding, and splicing pieces into place. I have some progressive pictures to show how I installed a 3/8" x 3" heavy flatbar to replace the old cross member that was cut out. This is a must do, because the new trans mount bolts right to the ends of the old cross member.
After welding I ground all the welds, applied urethane caulking to the joints, a little bondo here and there to clean things up and finally primer. I think you will agree it turned out pretty clean all in all. The new bucket seats have plenty of room, but don't know what we are going to do about ordering a stock carpet....I was hoping to talk to the carpet people and ask for a foot or so run-off on each side to help cover the "Franken Hump". Any ideas there?

Attachments

• 69 Dart 527.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 974
  • 69 Dart 577.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 861
  • 69 Dart 538.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 859
  • 69 Dart 537.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 832
  • 69 Dart 536.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 853
  • 69 Dart 535.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 864
  • 69 Dart 534.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 881
  • 69 Dart 533.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 847
  • 69 Dart 530.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 865
  • 69 Dart 528.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 872
Good Fab skills, the floor looks about 9 Months pregnant.

Looks good, looks like there is going to be plenty of strength in the revised cross member.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Good Fab skills, the floor looks about 9 Months pregnant.

Looks good, looks like there is going to be plenty of strength in the revised cross member.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thxs again Joe, yes the tranny is huge, and I hope that means strong in the end.

Well, I hope it doesn't turn into a mess. We bought the computer, engine and harness from Bouchillon Performance and the computer was for a engine with an auto trans.
We bought the trans from PATC and I am hoping the guy will program or detune our computer for us. The tech guy (Jim) says he gets into the computer and turns a few things off. I believe one or two them is those wheel sensors, that our hot rods won't have, I think there is more items, but that's all I know.
Two people told us that we coulld buy a Diablo Tuner and do it ourselves, but how would you know what to do or where to go?
Hoping and praying PATC will take care of it for us. Tom

I went with Bouchillon with my motor and trans as well. Have not started it yet, but getting closer. Nice job on the trans hump I did a little different feel free to check out my thread to see what I did for my monster trans.

Nice job with your again

270125_1.jpg

249.jpg

100_0620.jpg

The second one is before it was welded in. I have a GenIII Hemi and the same trans.

Well, it looks like plenty of you are attempting to cover those massive overdrive tranny's in your A bodies. The 1st primered shot loooks a lot like mine. The 2nd one is the multi-break way to go and looks good too, although, I myself would try to reinforce the cut out cross memeber, as that cross member still has to hold the tranny load and back of the motor too (to some intent).
I talked to PATC about programming my computer and they said the B&G Perfomrnace does all their Mopar computers adjustments. They said that B&G has the software and when I got on their website, I saw they support Bouchillon too, so that should work out well for us. I have taken down PCM number in preperation for the set-up phone call with B&G.
Good luck to all, I will write how it turns out with B&G tuning our computer. Tom

We are holding the back of the trans with a mount that runs from subframe to subframe.

crossmember new and boxed above the tranny and the one below is a mixture of the stock Mopar and the Toyota one. Cal it Moyota now... :)

270151_1.jpg

270348_1.jpg

I see you found out the Drivers side hole is 1" higher than the passenger side too. I built my mount level, then tried to bolt it up and had to weld that hole shut and re-drill an inch higher, so the trans mount would set level. I wish someone would've have said something.

I see you found out the Drivers side hole is 1" higher than the passenger side too. I built my mount level, then tried to bolt it up and had to weld that hole shut and re-drill an inch higher, so the trans mount would set level. I wish someone would've have said something.

yep, one of the thousand things you find out during the build... :-( I had to cut and reweld the mount after I put the HEMI in because the position of the engine changed....

Ouch, I hate re-work, once is enough!!! Then, when you see you f ed up, it sucks and you loose valuable time. That fricken tranny is huge too.

I am doing a 5.7 with 545 build also! I am going to use a SHARADON PERFORMACE built tranny with a stand alone trans controller and a paddle shifter. THEY BUILD THE TOUGHEST 545 TRANNYS OUT THERE IN MY OPINION! They had a guy that ran the baja 1000 with one of their tranny's shifting it with a paddle shift up and down between 4,000 to 7,000 rpms the whole race! After the race they sent back the tranny to be inspected. it checked out fine and was reassembled with the existing parts and was used in several smaller races. If you have a transmission question or if you put some power to your tranny and it breaks give them a call 651-426-0061 ask for Denny. Is the gas pedal going to work out it looks real close to the tunnel? Nice build keep updating the progress!

This is interesting. I have been searching for a way around the either/or scenario of highway vs track gears. Cheapest way so far has been an o.d 833. Im guessing this trans is on the pricey side seeing how it's newer. Also said on wikipedia that there is a 6 speed version for diesels. How does it compare to an A 518 or similar performance wise? I know the 518 is known for overdrive failures.

I am doing a 5.7 with 545 build also! I am going to use a SHARADAN PERFORMACE built tranny with a stand alone trans controller and a paddle shifter. THEY BUILD THE TOUGHEST 545 TRANNYS OUT THERE IN MY OPINION! They had a guy that ran the baja 1000 with one of their tranny's shifting it with a paddle shift up and down between 4,000 to 7,000 rpms the whole race! After the race they sent back the tranny to be inspected. it checked out fine and was reassembled with the existing parts and was used in several smaller races. If you have a transmission question or if you put some power to your tranny and it breaks give them a call 651-426-0061 ask for Denny. Is the gas pedal going to work out it looks real close to the tunnel? Nice build keep updating the progress!

Sharadon tranny is nice but if I were doing it I'd loook no further than Paramount Performance.. Bill Shur is a standup guy that used to be a Chrysler Engineer.

-
Back