Ram 98729 10.00 clutch

-

Hipo65

Yeah I'm "That Guy"
Reaction score
Hey all, im getting parts lined up to install a 65 4-speed in my 65 dart gt with a heathy 273. My qustion is has any of you early a-guys ran or tried this RAM clutch at all? Got all early a parts bell, flywheel & rekated parts. Don't wana halfta go to 10.5 to prevent slippage if at possable. Thanks in advance for advice!

There is a company called "spec" that deals with 9 1/2 inch performance clutch parts. Give them a call.

Thanks fellas. I believe tmm is using the brewers clutch too. He said it seems fine but dont beat the heck out of it eather.

I've had one of these HP 273's almost all my life, and the 10 inch clutch is THE weak link. Standard rebuild will last a month or two. I feel Brewers Performance knows what they are doing, they even include the special pressure plate bolts. I have no experience with RAM. It looks like they both use the 10 scalloped Borg and Beck pressure plate. I have been told they are not a high RPM piece. I'm looking into options, but at this time I have no experience, just some interesting parts. I also want to retain the Original bell housing and linkage, even though I did run a 10.95 clutch behind a truly nasty 273.

I put a RAM clutch in my dads truck years ago, and it still works fine.

Was just on the SPEC website and they have a lot of choices for 65-67 273 powered barracuda. Looks like good stuff and not really expensive.

I have a spare bellhousing for one if you ever need it. south of you in topeka ks.

Was just on the SPEC website and they have a lot of choices for 65-67 273 powered barracuda. Looks like good stuff and not really expensive.

I had researched SPEC and their clutches are for 10.5 applications not 10.0. They do not have a 10.0 or 9.5 that I can see.

Thanks acpat ive got a 9.5 bell & related hardwhere for the swap. I still am looking for the hump & figuring out the whole clutch situation. My fear is a 10.00 not doing the job. Trying to find a proven 10.00 combo behind a healthy 273 that has lasted. Or bite the bullet (again) for 10.5 bell & related parts.I keep telling my wife "hey its better then a drug habbit" HAHAHAH!

I have a 10.5 bell housing if you need it.

Thanks acpat ive got a 9.5 bell & related hardwhere for the swap. I still am looking for the hump & figuring out the whole clutch situation. My fear is a 10.00 not doing the job. Trying to find a proven 10.00 combo behind a healthy 273 that has lasted. Or bite the bullet (again) for 10.5 bell & related parts.I keep telling my wife "hey its better then a drug habbit" HAHAHAH!

What is in the 273? How healthy?

If i had guess hp wise id say an honest 250-260 @ the crank. Its the orginal engine from the car just rebuilt by yers truly Ive never had it on any dyno but it runs every bit as hard as my ol 318 with the standard performance bolt ons. Kanter domed .030 pistons, E-4 isky cam with crane 1.6:1 iron rockers, ld4b intake (hogged a lil to fit my early heads) mildly ported stock 65 heads gasket matched, pertronics conversion in stock dizzy & eddy 500 dialed in via wide band o2 gauge. stock hi-po exhaust. So im not sure what power is but it runs dam good for the small cubes. Just dont want it to slip doing a 5800 rpm quick shift. Ill NEVER do high rpm clutch dumps from start. Dont like breaking stuff! Lol

Soo does that sound like its still in 10.00 territory at all? It has 160 psi cranking comp warm with all plugs in & carb wide open 1st puf is apx. 125-130 psi.

Your 273 sounds very healthy. Almost like mine, I'd try the Brewers route. I have 2 other things I'd like to try this spring but not there yet. One is a 10.0 inch clutch, throwout bearing assy, and pressure plate from Australia, but it takes some extra mounting holes than our flywheel has. The second is a McLeod custom twin disc for the 122 tooth flywheel. Third is a dual friction clutch and custom 10.0 scalloped Borg and Beck pressure plate. Like you, I have done the 10.5 or in my case jumped to the 10.95 system. But was hoping to keep the factory 10.0 system.

66fs I sent you a pm to keep me posted on the 10.00 clutch options the twin would be sweet! & probably have alot less pedal effort too!

Hipo65 and I have other options we are working on. Hipo65 is working with McLeod on a 280 HP option but requires flywheel modification. I'm looking at a 365 HP solution from Australia, but also requires flywheel modification and I believe a throw out bearing spacer. If you talk real nice, and have the cash, McLeod will make a custom double disc setup. I have one but have not tried it yet. More to come.

You have the same engine combo as I do and the Brewers set should work fine.I would talk to Brewers about their set. The pressure plate has 3 extra holes for additional springs. I took my new Brewers set to Clutchmasters and he checked the set up. (finger height etc.) It was perfect. He said we could add extra springs or replace springs with stronger ones for more clamping force. I installed it as is and it works fine. One problem though, My clutch pedal has stuck to the floor during a power shift to second gear. Borg & Beck pressure plates are noted for that. Years ago, the stick racers would screw a block of wood to the floor so the pedal wouldn't go so far. No amount of adjustment will cure it that I have found. A dual disc would be great I would think. Almost double the friction surface.

TMM, since McLeod hasnt got back to me I decided to go with the ram 98729 clutch. I did call brewers & he said basically if you put to much power to it it wont hold. Well hell I know that! Didnt really give a power level that it was rated for. The ram disc is iron on the flywheel side & organic on p.p. side. The disc has 8 coil springs in the disc hub that are coated in polyurethane to take twice the shock ( what they say) & scalloped p.p. that has 30% more clamp force. So id think that should do it I hope!

TMM, since McLeod hasnt got back to me I decided to go with the ram 98729 clutch. I did call brewers & he said basically if you put to much power to it it wont hold. Well hell I know that! Didnt really give a power level that it was rated for. The ram disc is iron on the flywheel side & organic on p.p. side. The disc has 8 coil springs in the disc hub that are coated in polyurethane to take twice the shock ( what they say) & scalloped p.p. that has 30% more clamp force. So id think that should do it I hope!

Yep, that should do it and then some. (which isn't a bad thing) Yes, a link to the set up would be great.

I dont know how to add a link fellas. Its easy to find typing in google Ram 98729 power grip clutch kit. Summit & jegs both list it. $390 shipped drop shipped that is cuz no one stocks that one!

Thanks 65dartman! I need to figure out how to link stuff! Looks like a good set up dont ya think?

Thanks 65dartman! I need to figure out how to link stuff! Looks like a good set up dont ya think?

It might be overkill for a 4 speed slant (which is what I'm building). I expect I'll probably buy the set-up from Brewers.

-
Back