Ram tow vehicle

-

ZKDEMON

Reaction score
I've looked at a couple different trucks for a new tow vehicle, I looked at at '04 ram cummins. The truck appears to be rated at 13500 towing capacity and I also looked at at 2006 with a tow capacity of 10500. They both have 373 gears and are automatics. Does anyone know what makes the difference in the 2 towing capacities?

Probably the Rear diff and Suspension,....I think they're were some subtle differences in the Cummins in different years as well. My coworker has an 02 dually club diesel rated for 10500,...Either way, take a real good look at the trani's as they are usually the weak point in the drivetrain.

IMHO the 6sp manual is the only trans of choice. 600,000 on my '01 with no trans work performed other than fluid change. Truck before that was Cummins/ auto and did trans 3 times.

IMHO the 6sp manual is the only trans of choice. 600,000 on my '01 with no trans work performed other than fluid change. Truck before that was Cummins/ auto and did trans 3 times.

Agreed,....My Coworker is on his 2nd trans @ 120 thou,...He would trade it for a stick tomorrow if he could,....said its better for towing anyway,...

If it is a regular cab or quad cab it will have a slight change in weight towing capacities, i had a 2006 reg cab 6 speed man it was a strong puller for sure, i now have a 2012 Ram Express with 3.92 gears and it pulls nicely

A 2004.5 Ram diesel will have the better 48RE trans and more HP while the early 2004.5 may have less HP and I believe a 47RE trans. The better stuff was optional at first.

I have a 2004.5 4 door dually, auto and 3.73 gear with about 105,000 miles. It has been flawless towing a 26' or 28' Pace with an overall combined weight of just under 20,000. Small chip, I think 125hp. But I also do maintanence religiously. Best mileage is around 1,700 rpm/60-65 mph. Amsoil synthetics throughout.

2003 gets better mileage because it doesn't have an extra injection cycle. Not sure how mileage is with the late 5.9's or 6.7's.

Is one of the trucks a standard cab and one an extended? The tow rating is reduced by the added weight. ie. 4X4, ext Cab etc.
I have an 05 dually 4.10 gears 14 -16 MPG towing 70K miles trouble free. I also do regular routine maint.
It doesn't move unless its hauling or towing

Diesel automatics, to get built with all the good stuff are going to run you some $$. If you do get an auto when you have to get the trans done don't skimp on the t/c. When I had the Allison done in my Chebby I had an oe style convertor put in. I tore the clutch up in it. Spent close to $1400 on a stainless/billet triple disc unit that when it locks up it almost feels like another shift it is so solid....buddy gets 3k for a base rebuild, with all the goodies it will be closer to 2x that.....

I have an 04.5 2500 4x4, Quad Cab, "600 Cummins".. Bought it new.. Love this truck. Zero problems.. Do your research ,the autos in these trucks are good. It was the earlier ones that are the "weak" ones. Mine only has about 115,000 miles on it. Gets about 17 MPG avg. in town and some hwy.. On the HWY over 2000 RPM your MPG will suffer. Long trips under 1700 rpm 23 mpg... Make sure one of those trucks was not a single rear wheel 3500 that could be the difference. ???

The A/T in these trucks are good,..but not great. Today A/T's are way better than before to be sure,(thank god). I've rebuilt hundreds of auto trani's,...maybe 6 manuals. IN MY WHOLE CAREER. Shop truck, (1 ton cummins) is comin up on 400thou on the clutch,... Still got the original clutches in all mine,...(yes including the 90 dakota w/ 239 thou on the clock). Defend em all you want, but you'll never sell me on a "slush pump",..(unless I get to old to walk), especially on a Chrysler product. Seen the inside of way to many of em.

Man up and drive your vehicle, don't be driven by It.....Driving (and towing) are serious business. Control your vehicle like you control your bike,...that means shift it when It needs to be shifted, not when a computer tells you to,...you'll be a better and safer driver. Better yet. Buy an Automatic,I can always use the money,......sooner or later,....We'll be seein ya at the shop.

(I figure this post will tune a few of you folks up),...(hee hee).

I have a 2005 cummins 4wd quad cab auto 53,000 miles. I put 160,000 miles on my 2001 24 valve with stock auto showing no signs of wear. I run a smarty on the 60 horse tune for daily driving. On the 120 horse tune I ran 14.40 no boost launch (stock tranny) not bad for a big truck!!

thanks for all your input. I ended up with '06 2500 Ram I hope it pulls my 26' trailer and sliip in camper.

03 Dually diesel pickup 6 speed,3.73 gears, 24' trailer,3600 lbs car.Lance camper. Combined weight of 20,380 lbs (legal for 23,000) Best **** truck I've ever owned.

-
Back