Ram towing mileage

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
So I bought a 6x12 single axle enclosed cargo trailer for general use, and sometimes going to swap meets. I have a 2008 Ram 1500, 5.7L that I tow it with, and it's killing me on gas mileage. I would assume newer models would get at least somewhat better mileage than the 08. The last tow was in April, trailer only about half loaded, running A/C all the way, and it got 8-10 mpg. Do any of you have Rams that you tow a similar trailer with, and if so, what year model, engine, etc. Looking for some type of solution. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dustertogo

Need a simple V-Front to cut the air. Tows like a dream.

20230813_101427.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

So I bought a 6x12 single axle enclosed cargo trailer for general use, and sometimes going to swap meets. I have a 2008 Ram 1500, 5.7L that I tow it with, and it's killing me on gas mileage. I would assume newer models would get at least somewhat better mileage than the 08. The last tow was in April, trailer only about half loaded, running A/C all the way, and it got 8-10 mpg. Do any of you have Rams that you tow a similar trailer with, and if so, what year model, engine, etc. Looking for some type of solution. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dustertogo
I get around 16 to 17 mpg with tractor on back of this 2013 5.7 with a/c on truck has over 100,000 miles

AE509B70-4BA1-4B23-A94E-590A1A2179C6.jpeg

8C67B03F-4D3F-4B1A-A1B7-C1FF2572BD67.jpeg

2017 Ram Crew cab 5.7 hemi, 6spd auto, tows a 17' Aluminum Lund and galvanized trailer. Horrible mileage 16-17 mpg. Unloaded approx 22ish?

This is what I was wondering, if I should consider buying a newer model Ram. At this point, I would be happy with 15-16 mpg towing.

Pre Eagle head 5.7s just plain suck for mileage . I’ve had my 2003 since 04 and it gets 11-13 empty in town . Maybe 16-17 hwy @ 55-60 mph . Towed a 5000# travel trailer once and got about 7-8 ! My 74 Power Wagon with the 383 Magnum out of my 70 Charger would get mid teens driving nice and about 8-9 towing a racecar.

Difference being the Power Wagon would do 60 mph over the passes and the Ram would do 30 !

Might get better mileage towing in 5th gear instead of 6th.

Could be bogging the engine in overdrive. Need to let the engine come up some more in rpm where it will make more efficient power.

☆☆☆☆☆

Might get better mileage towing in 5th gear instead of 6th.

Could be bogging the engine in overdrive. Need to let the engine come up some more in rpm where it will make more efficient power.

☆☆☆☆☆
Let’s not even get started on the horrible shift points ! Urgh. !!!

The 08 has a 545RFE, it’s a 5 speed.
Like said, it has horrible shift points.
The newer models transmissions make for a MUCH better driving experience!

Better see what your rear end gearing is.

Believe the Rams are supposed to have 4.11 ratio for the towing packages.

Big 20" tires/wheels need the deep gears to turn them.

Believe the 3.55 rear gears are what they call Highway Gears.

Turns the engine slow, so it's not running up in the power band. Pulling a trailer boggs it down even more.

☆☆☆☆☆

Just for comparison sake only! My 2004 2500 quad cab 4wd with a 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed stick, 3.73 gears gets 17 mpg towing my 18’ open car trailer with a car on it. Got 14 mpg towing a 12k dry weight 5th wheel. Gets 23-24 mpg empty. All of those are keeping the rpm’s right at 2000, which puts me at 70 mph. Plenty fast enough while towing.

EE32A404-9E6E-46EF-8D2E-EDE6853ED334.jpeg

Last edited:
Just for comparison sake only! My 2004 2500 quad cab 4wd with a 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed stick, 3.73 gears gets 17 mpg towing my 18’ open car trailer with a car on it. Got 14 mpg towing a 12k dry weight 5th wheel. Gets 23-24 mpg empty. All of those are keeping the rpm’s right at 2000, which puts me at 70 mph. Plenty fast enough while towing.

View attachment 1716296213
Early Cummins are a different cat . We are talking Hemi’s .

The extra initial cost of the Cummins + the price per gallon makes it hard to justify unless you are towing big loads .

How did the Eco Diesel’s work out ? They caught my attention.

I got a 2017 ram 2500 with the 5.7, headers and a tune
Empty I get 13.5

A few weeks ago I brought a travel trailer home for a buddy, dual axle bumper pull
4200 pounds empty and who knows what it truly weights

That trip netted 7.6 mpg

tenor-2.gif

The extra initial cost of the Cummins + the price per gallon makes it hard to justify unless you are towing big loads .

Agree....hence the first sentence in my reply, lol. My truck is used mainly for towing and hauling. For me, it's not so much the great mileage it gets, but the effortless ease of it doing the work rather than having to struggle. The Eco diesels got great fuel mileage, when you could keep them out of the shop. Lots of problems reported with those. A friend of mine bought one and hung onto it until the dealership had possession of it more than he did.

Sad to say, the EcoDiesel is the biggest pile they've used since the K cars.. They have a ton of emission problems and much like the furds you've gotta pull the cab to do most repairs. It's a turd.

Dustertogo
What mileage do you get with no trailer? What speeds with and without trailer. What axle ratio? What size tire? Any engine or exhaust modifications?

I have an 08 Ram 1500, 5.7L, 4x4, 3.55 (or3.54?) axle ratio, stock 20 inch wheel and tire size. Mine is averaging 16.5 mpg with assorted driving and freeway speeds with NO load. if I drive 55-60 mph for long drives it has been up to 19 mpg. My current mileage is noticeable low but I know it needs a new oxygen sensor and is due for spark plugs.

I neglected to add that I was towing a 24 foot enclosed trailer and mileage goes down into single digits for sure, but do not recall the exact number.

Sad to say, the EcoDiesel is the biggest pile they've used since the K cars.. They have a ton of emission problems and much like the furds you've gotta pull the cab to do most repairs. It's a turd.
at least the K cars carried chrysler through the 80s
the ecodiesel, no such luck

What mileage do you get with no trailer? What speeds with and without trailer. What axle ratio? What size tire? Any engine or exhaust modifications?

I have an 08 Ram 1500, 5.7L, 4x4, 3.55 (or3.54?) axle ratio, stock 20 inch wheel and tire size. Mine is averaging 16.5 mpg with assorted driving and freeway speeds with NO load. if I drive 55-60 mph for long drives it has been up to 19 mpg. My current mileage is noticeable low but I know it needs a new oxygen sensor and is due for spark plugs.
We're pretty similar then. My combined city/highway driving at various speeds and unloaded averages about 16 mpg. I do have the 20" wheels, 2wd, and I am unsure of my rear gear ratio. The best mine has ever done on long drives unloaded is 19 mpg. I am also due for spark plugs, but I know that want help a bunch.

We're pretty similar then. My combined city/highway driving at various speeds and unloaded averages about 16 mpg. I do have the 20" wheels, 2wd, and I am unsure of my rear gear ratio. The best mine has ever done on long drives unloaded is 19 mpg. I am also due for spark plugs, but I know that want help a bunch.
I have had mine since 2010 when I bought it used with about 13,000 miles on it, and fuel mileage is staying pretty darn consistent all this time. I am up to 298,000 miles now.
I would say nothing is wrong with yours since it compares so closely to mine. Do you tow in overdrive or with overdrive off? With a big trailer I turn overdrive off and try to limit my speed to around 65 mph, and less in windy or poor weather conditions.

-
Back