Ram towing mileage

-
I bought my 2019 Ram 2500 Diesel almost 2 years ago. 17-19 mpg around town and 21-22 on the highway empty. Towing the 12k lb 5th wheel, I was at 10-11 mpg rolling down the highway.

I'm not talking about the Cummins mileage compared to the Hemi here.... But rather an observation of these 2 quotes from above in this thread as they relate to the transmission gearing......

After reading this thread last week, and seeing this one, I limited my trans to no higher than 5th gear (I'm liking that little button switch on the steering wheel).
We went 4 hours away into the mountains of Northern Pennsylvania and picked up 1.5mpg. Towing there I got 12.5 and coming home, I got 13.
And yes, it kept my RPMs up a couple of hundred and I noticed much better throttle response when going into an incline.

Might get better mileage towing in 5th gear instead of 6th.

Could be bogging the engine in overdrive. Need to let the engine come up some more in rpm where it will make more efficient power.

So that makes me question this:

My 2019 Ram limited, 8 spd, 5.7, the best I've ever had mostly freeway driving is 17 mpg, around town it's about 14 mpg, towing my 4000lb RV on the freeway it drops to 10 mpg, with it in "tow haul " as recommended by the owners manual so that's O/D off.

Unless the 6 speed behind the Cummins acts different than the 8 speed behind the Hemi, I'm not so sure the tow/haul turns off the OD..... Previous to this last trip, I simply put it in tow/haul mode and went down the road. It still goes into high gear. So it does not turn the OD off, it just holds the gears longer. At least in my truck, anyway. The only way to keep mine out of high gear (OD) is to limit it to 5 gears with that button switch.

So engine choice aside, gearing matters.

I would tend to agree with you, however, I do not know what gear is considered OD in the 8 speed? Is it all of them with an OD ratio, or is it just 8, or does tow haul prevent the torque converter from locking up?

I place mine (5.7/8speed/3.23) in tow haul mode, it definitely holds the shifts longer and provides some engine braking in lower gears, but doing 67-68mph, it is usally turning about 3200rpm. Very rarely does it drop any lower than that, except on downhills where I have had it drop below 2k rpm, but it doesn't stay there long.

I've thought about headers a few times for mine. I think the cheapest ones are about a grand for shorties. It only takes about 90 minutes per side to do the manifolds now, and the bolts are free with the lifetime warranty, so I pick a weekend and spend the 3 hours swapping out both sides once a year when they break.

I put a new set of manifolds on last time, it's been 12 months and about 10k miles, so far so good.
yeah, i paid close to 3 grand for a set of long tubes (not much out there for the 2500) and then instalation

hopefully your new manifolds will solve the issues for you

Ok...time for the haters here...lol! Here's a comprehensive list of my fuel economy with my truck.

I have a 2023 Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L gas, 10-speed auto, and 3.42 gears. It also has the "Max trailering" package on it (rated for 13,300# trailer). I use 87 octane fuel in it. "Highway" speed to me is usually 72mph, regardless of what trailer (or none) I tow.

No trailer/empty around town is 19-ish. Highway is around 23. Sometimes higher or maybe down to 22 sometimes.

With my 6x12 cargo trailer on the highway, it's around 12 mpg. Empty or loaded.
20230415_171138.jpg

When I pulled my flat trailer with the avatar car to Florida from Michigan, I averaged 14+ for the trip down I-75.
20231016_125644.jpg

Now step up to my 24' enclosed car hauler, and the fuel economy is the same loaded or unloaded. The trailer is 4400#'s empty and I've had it to 10,000#'s loaded (trailer is rated to 12,000 #'s). Pulled this thing 4 times Michigan to Florida and back hauling cars or belongings (junk as my wife would say!). Highway speeds 72 mph: 7.5-8.5 mpg.
Slow down to 65 mph: 9.5-ish mpg.

Note it is a v-nose trailer.
20230925_185147.jpg

As you can see, the 2 trailers with big frontal area hit the fuel economy due to windload as weight doesn't do much. Whether this truck or the Rams, a gas engine has to protect the converters so the bigger windloads force a lot of time in protection mode i.e. run rich to cool the converters. Just a fact of life diesels don't have to contend with.

Note I have also pulled my flat car hauler with a Silverado 1500 with the 3.0L diesel - what a GREAT package! Detroit to Columbus OH to the Mopar Nats was 20 mpg's. Same when I would pull it to Milan Dragway (about a 110 mile round trip). With no trailer, and to Florida and back (about 10 trips or so), was always 31-32 mpg's. And the driveability of the diesel is simply phenomenal. Love'em!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

My 2012 2500 5.7 Auto 2wd gets 12-13 around town. Pulling my 12000 lb 5th wheel I get around 8.

Ok...time for the haters here...lol! Here's a comprehensive list of my fuel economy with my truck.

I have a 2023 Silverado 1500 with the 6.2L gas, 10-speed auto, and 3.42 gears. It also has the "Max trailering" package on it (rated for 13,300# trailer). I use 87 octane fuel in it. "Highway" speed to me is usually 72mph, regardless of what trailer (or none) I tow.

No trailer/empty around town is 19-ish. Highway is around 23. Sometimes higher or maybe down to 22 sometimes.

With my 6x12 cargo trailer on the highway, it's around 12 mpg. Empty or loaded.
View attachment 1716299151

When I pulled my flat trailer with the avatar car to Florida from Michigan, I averaged 14+ for the trip down I-75.
View attachment 1716299154

Now step up to my 24' enclosed car hauler, and the fuel economy is the same loaded or unloaded. The trailer is 4400#'s empty and I've had it to 10,000#'s loaded (trailer is rated to 12,000 #'s). Pulled this thing 4 times Michigan to Florida and back hauling cars or belongings (junk as my wife would say!). Highway speeds 72 mph: 7.5-8.5 mpg.
Slow down to 65 mph: 9.5-ish mpg.

Note it is a v-nose trailer.
View attachment 1716299161

As you can see, the 2 trailers with big frontal area hit the fuel economy due to windload as weight doesn't do much. Whether this truck or the Rams, a gas engine has to protect the converters so the bigger windloads force a lot of time in protection mode i.e. run rich to cool the converters. Just a fact of life diesels don't have to contend with.

Note I have also pulled my flat car hauler with a Silverado 1500 with the 3.0L diesel - what a GREAT package! Detroit to Columbus OH to the Mopar Nats was 20 mpg's. Same when I would pull it to Milan Dragway (about a 110 mile round trip). With no trailer, and to Florida and back (about 10 trips or so), was always 31-32 mpg's. And the driveability of the diesel is simply phenomenal. Love'em!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
No hate here. You drive what you want!! I thought you had to run at least 91 octane with the 6.2?

No hate here. You drive what you want!! I thought you had to run at least 91 octane with the 6.2?
Well that is what the engine calibration is optimized for. But it can easily handle 87 octane as well. And like I mentioned, once you have enough engine throughput (ie. torque for an amount of time) and have to cool the converters, octane doesn't matter as you have to run rich.

That said, running higher octane in an engine that's calibrated for it may improve FE, depending on the engine loads. But in this case, nowhere close to paying for the added fuel cost.

Just for comparison sake only! My 2004 2500 quad cab 4wd with a 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed stick, 3.73 gears gets 17 mpg towing my 18’ open car trailer with a car on it. Got 14 mpg towing a 12k dry weight 5th wheel. Gets 23-24 mpg empty. All of those are keeping the rpm’s right at 2000, which puts me at 70 mph. Plenty fast enough while towing.

View attachment 1716296213
Yep, hard to beat them for any towing. I average 17-19 pulling my trailer and Case 1845c with my '05 6 speed.

That said, running higher octane in an engine that's calibrated for it may improve FE, depending on the engine loads. But in this case, nowhere close to paying for the added fuel cost.

when i first started driving here, midgrade was 5 cents over regular, premium 5 cents over that
i dont even want to know what those numbers are now

when i first started driving here, midgrade was 5 cents over regular, premium 5 cents over that
i dont even want to know what those numbers are now
$.50 added to each level... yes, $1.00 more from 87-93 octane

That's a good point, I believe the Hemi was designed around 89 octane, how many people actually run that? I used to when I towed, but I tow so often that I was spending a fortune on migrade now that's it's $1 a gallon more than regular, so I went back to regular.

That's a good point, I believe the Hemi was designed around 89 octane, how many people actually run that? I used to when I towed, but I tow so often that I was spending a fortune on migrade now that's it's $1 a gallon more than regular, so I went back to regular.
They are. I had a Jeep w/the hemi. I can feel it being a little sluggish when I put 87 octane in it. 93 made a difference but it is a little spendy. 89 was the happy medium

They are designed for mid grade, here it is around .25 cents more a gallon, so I run it.

Small, Medium, or Large?

Did a person ever think the 3 gasoline grades are just a marketing ploy?

As in McDonald's, when you walk in or drive up. It's not "if" you are going to buy something, they already have you sold. The choice of your main focus is > Small, Medium, or Large.

☆☆☆☆☆

I get 17.9 with my 2004.5 CTD H.O. dually pulling my 28' enclosed with a car , golf cart, and all the tools, tool box, workbench, generator etc to go racing.

20210904_171159.jpg

IMG_20130811_165946_364.jpg

IMG9539301.jpg

-
Back