Ram with V6. Reviews?

-
Looking at trading in our 2017 Ram 1500 in on a 2023 Ram 1500. Not that I want/need new, but the 2017 has 135 km's on it and don't want any upcoming surprises.
The 23 has the 8spd trans and V6. Anyone have experience, good bad or ugly with these? Sales rep said towing isn't an issue with the V6, 300hp.
Thanks
Steve
I have always bought my trucks with the Hemi my wife and I decided to try the v6 I love I get 22 to 26 highway we pull a 18 ft. Boat with a 90 4 stroke and you don't even know you are towing it I also pull a 20 ft. Car trailer with no problems it likes fuel when towing I will never buy a hemi truck again passing power is unreal ours is a 2022

The Pentastar V6 at close to 300 hp is not important. What is important are the gear ratios in the transmission and rear axle. My first 3 Toyotas were 4 cylinders and had 4.10 rear gears. i could pull anyone out of the ditch in bull lo. They ran fine pulling loaded trailers on many moose hunting trips along hwy #17 for hundreds of miles each autumn. The 4 speed chevs had to go right down to second gear at times to get up those long hills...i never did.I pulled a moose out of a swamp that these guys couldn't budge with their GMC 4x4 because it just broke a wheel loose on 2 corners and spun.
my current Tacoma is V6 and it's just as good with 3.73 rear gears. It has limited slip front diff. and locking rear axles.

The Pentastar V6 at close to 300 hp is not important. What is important are the gear ratios in the transmission and rear axle. My first 3 Toyotas were 4 cylinders and had 4.10 rear gears. i could pull anyone out of the ditch in bull lo. They ran fine pulling loaded trailers on many moose hunting trips along hwy #17 for hundreds of miles each autumn. The 4 speed chevs had to go right down to second gear at times to get up those long hills...i never did.I pulled a moose out of a swamp that these guys couldn't budge with their GMC 4x4 because it just broke a wheel loose on 2 corners and spun.
my current Tacoma is V6 and it's just as good with 3.73 rear gears. It has limited slip front diff. and locking rear axles.
Toyota, lol, I had a new one 4cyl 4.30 gears.
Wife drove it once to haul a ladder to pick apples.
Came back home and said "this POS would not even pull itself our of wet paper bag"
Reality is 4 cyl is gutless, but gets great gas mileage I averaged around 28 mpg.

Today's 6 cylinders can and do the job for what they are intended. Light duty. (Towing a personal watercraft is Light duty) Anything heavier? Let's say 7000lbs+? Especially for extended periods? I would look at diesel options.

JMO.

Toyota, lol, I had a new one 4cyl 4.30 gears.
Wife drove it once to haul a ladder to pick apples.
Came back home and said "this POS would not even pull itself our of wet paper bag"
Reality is 4 cyl is gutless, but gets great gas mileage I averaged around 28 mpg.
I have yet to break the magic 14 mpg mark with my 5.7 ram but hauling a camper trailer I've had it down below 8

I have yet to break the magic 14 mpg mark with my 5.7 ram
When my '05 dropped that low on the highway, the throttle body was caked up with black gunk. I cleaned it out as best I could without removal using rags soaked in seafoam I had. Made a big difference for me.
The second time milage dropped off was even worse.
Found these tree rats under my air filter.........
1722261517629.png

Anyone have experience, good bad or ugly with these?
Might look through some posts here.........

If you don't want to believe me about the 8 speed call any CJDR parts department and ask if an 8 speed is available. There answer will be all the ones we have (if they can get any) are for customers and we have many on order with no eta. My brothers 21 V6 Ram 1500 with 28k just got his transmission replaced and he tows nothing and drives like a little old lady. And the OP is talking about a newer Ram 1500 V6 not a diesel or a 45/545 trans that were used behind 4.7 and 5.7 engines. A used Ram at the dealership will often have a better drivetrain warranty than new.
The ZF transmission is different behind the V6 than the Hemi's?

I have a '13 3.6 with the 8 speed. Love the gas mileage. Average 25 mpg and have got up to 27 mpg on a tank. It's a hot rod compared to my old '01 Ram with a 5.9 magnum. Haven't pulled with it yet.

I have yet to break the magic 14 mpg mark with my 5.7 ram but hauling a camper trailer I've had it down below 8
You are doing better than me, my 6.4 ram gets 10 mpg, empty or towing.

Looking at trading in our 2017 Ram 1500 in on a 2023 Ram 1500. Not that I want/need new, but the 2017 has 135 km's on it and don't want any upcoming surprises.
The 23 has the 8spd trans and V6. Anyone have experience, good bad or ugly with these? Sales rep said towing isn't an issue with the V6, 300hp.
Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve, My opinion is... I just traded in April for a 2023 Ram with the 5.7 HEMI.. Last year for it.. If you are trading in, I would spend the extra and get the 5.7. My cousin has a 2023 with the v6 and it's pretty good on fuel, but I don't think it would do as well towing compared to the big boy..Forgot to add, if you can find one.. should have no problem.. The dealer knocked off over 14k being a 23.

When my '05 dropped that low on the highway, the throttle body was caked up with black gunk. I cleaned it out as best I could without removal using rags soaked in seafoam I had. Made a big difference for me.
The second time milage dropped off was even worse.
Found these tree rats under my air filter.........
View attachment 1716282410

Might look through some posts here.........
[/URL]
mine is a 2017, i had just replaced the throttle body with a bored out unit, and the filter is a K&N unit, so all that is clean and clear
You are doing better than me, my 6.4 ram gets 10 mpg, empty or towing.
i sometimes wish i had held out for the 6.4, i feel the 5.7 is rather underpowered in the ram...but it does great in my wifes grocery getter (2014 pursuit charger)

mine is a 2017, i had just replaced the throttle body with a bored out unit, and the filter is a K&N unit, so all that is clean and clear

i sometimes wish i had held out for the 6.4, i feel the 5.7 is rather underpowered in the ram...but it does great in my wifes grocery getter (2014 pursuit charger)
Mine is also

Mine is also a 2017 and the 6.4 has never run out of power, but it does have 4.10 gears, so that helps.
What gears are in yours?

I forgot Make sure you get the tow package with that you get the engine and transmission cooler and the rear gears will be correct mine is rated to tow 7730lbs and has 305 horse with the etorque

Thanks Craig, that's why I was looking at a 2023. Same dealer I got my 17 from has 23's with 20% off and then an additional employee discount pricing. Great deal I think. No hemis avail with the 23's they have left. I passed, I didn't feel like a $500 monthly payment again.
Hi Steve, My opinion is... I just traded in April for a 2023 Ram with the 5.7 HEMI.. Last year for it.. If you are trading in, I would spend the extra and get the 5.7. My cousin has a 2023 with the v6 and it's pretty good on fuel, but I don't think it would do as well towing compared to the big boy..Forgot to add, if you can find one.. should have no problem.. The dealer knocked off over 14k being a 23.

Mine is also

Mine is also a 2017 and the 6.4 has never run out of power, but it does have 4.10 gears, so that helps.
What gears are in yours?
you know, im not sure

and i dont feel like crawling under there to check, is there a different way to read it out?

Nah...i wasn't recommending a Tacoma 4 cyl. on todays highways Steve. Although it suited our needs way back when, acceleration was indeed slow... but they were bullet proof, would cruise loaded at 100 kmh for hours on end and were great trucks for our wilderness trips which ended up off road. The trucks were by no means gutless with 4.10 gears and stock tires, and would pull anything in lo lock. They would go off road where stock domestics wouldn't dare back in the 70's and 80's and we launched aluminum boats where most wouldn't even attempt.
My post was that the transmission and rear axle gears are as important in a tow vehicle as torque and hp, but you knew that.

you know, im not sure

and i dont feel like crawling under there to check, is there a different way to read it out?
Mopar has a website that you put your vin in, and they e-mail you a print out.

A 5.7 truck most likely has 3.23's

I think a lot of the issues with the 8-speed come from Chrysler's stupid "lifetime" and "no service required" maintenance protocols. ZF (the manufacturer) themselves call for a fluid and filter change at 60k miles iirc. These transmissions don't have a dipstick for checking the fluid level but they do have separate drain and fill plugs like a transfer case. The filter is also built into the pan (entire pan needs to be replaced for a filter change) but there are videos and walkthroughs on the web of how to DIY, it's not that difficult. I may do this on my dad's truck when I visit my family up in TN.

My experience. 2016 crew cab Ram 4x4 with the v6. Great milage and has pulled an A body and light car hauler to Carlisle from Florida and back twice. No complaints. Impressed actually.

-
Back