Random pictures thread

-
This boy is about 21 months now, and over 90 lbs already. He has not encountered a coyote yet, we go to a different park now, but he's already become quite protective of his "pack".

20221010_183713.jpg

He was maybe a year old when I took this.

Scary lmao, I lived in Az for 3 years and used to hike in the desert with my dog Riggs (R.I.P.) whom I rescued as a pup from the Ely, Nevada desert. Encountered several coyotes weekly and my dog nor myself were ever attacked. Had one of two flank me but Riggs chased it off.
View attachment 1716171501

View attachment 1716171502
I'd say that coyotes in an urban setting are a different story than in the desert or in the river bottoms. These coyotes were no longer very afraid of dogs or humans, and their natural prey was long gone. There were lots of accounts of folks finding bits and pieces of their missing pets and packs of 3 or 4 coyotes circling and intimidating kids.

I'd say that coyotes in an urban setting are a different story than in the desert or in the river bottoms. These coyotes were no longer very afraid of dogs or humans, and their natural prey was long gone. There were lots of accounts of folks finding bits and pieces of their missing pets and packs of 3 or 4 coyotes circling and intimidating kids.
Very true. Coyotes have to eat and they're carnivores. I used to find jackrabbit parts everywhere. People taking over and displacing rabbits, squirrels etc only leaves cats, small dogs and kids.

And deer.
Very true. Coyotes have to eat and they're carnivores. I used to find jackrabbit parts everywhere. People taking over and displacing rabbits, squirrels etc only leaves cats, small dogs and kids.

What kinda audio gear you got there?
My wife bought the system some 30 years ago from an audiophile retailer where she was working at the time. The receiver/amp is a brand I'm not familiar with called Integra, all I know is it kicks some serious ***, the turntable is a Rega P2, also one I'm not familiar with, along with a Denon 6 disc cd changer and a pair of Bowers and Wilkins speakers. She paid a good chunk of cash for it, even with employee discount, some where around $3k.

My wife bought the system some 30 years ago from an audiophile retailer where she was working at the time. The receiver/amp is a brand I'm not familiar with called Integra, all I know is it kicks some serious ***, the turntable is a Rega P2, also one I'm not familiar with, along with a Denon 6 disc cd changer and a pair of Bowers and Wilkins speakers. She paid a good chunk of cash for it, even with employee discount, some where around $3k.
Haha. Be glad she - and you - had the good sense to quit while you are ahead. I got the audio bug at 19 and burned through something like 50K over the years with house systems, shop systems, car systems, and probably a bunch of stuff I can't even recall. I'm still at it, I just tonight started revamping the shop stuff and the new tunes for the wagon are arriving this week. It's a disease I think... :realcrazy:

Haha. Be glad she - and you - had the good sense to quit while you are ahead. I got the audio bug at 19 and burned through something like 50K over the years with house systems, shop systems, car systems, and probably a bunch of stuff I can't even recall. I'm still at it, I just tonight started revamping the shop stuff and the new tunes for the wagon are arriving this week. It's a disease I think... :realcrazy:
Completely agree with you about the disease, might even be worse than being a gearhead! I've known a few people who had $50k plus audio collections. Scary! I was into car audio for a few years but now I'm happy as long as it sounds decent. Can't afford the multiple amps, crossovers, and subs, mids, tweeters, etc.

Completely agree with you about the disease, might even be worse than being a gearhead! I've known a few people who had $50k plus audio collections. Scary! I was into car audio for a few years but now I'm happy as long as it sounds decent. Can't afford the multiple amps, crossovers, and subs, mids, tweeters, etc.
I can relate, and respond, to this. But maybe not concisely, or completely....

Up until about 10 years ago I was quite "connected" in the High End Audio/Audiophile (capital A) world, and- yes. It can be almost worse than a disease. One of the sites I frequented (and was invited to Moderate) was Audio Asylum, and partially due to that site, and the many people I connected with, I went "down the rabbit hole" in a Big Way for about 20 years. Spending $50k on an Audio system was almost considered the "Buy-in" for people I associated with, and I've seen, and heard, systems costing upwards of $300k-$400k.

Which was (and still is) way beyond what I was willing to spend, as the Laws of Diminishing Returns kicks-in pretty quickly, and I'm not made of money.

After two of my best friends, and serious Audio guys, passed away, I reevaluated my Life, and now most of my audio (small A) "systems" consist of either restored jukeboxes or stereo receivers from the 70's and early '80's.

Based on my experiences, and in my opinion: Being a Gearhead is like having the sniffles. Being an Audiophile is like having pneumonia.

Last edited:
I can relate, and respond, to this. But maybe not concisely, or completely....

Up until about 10 years ago I was quite "connected" in the High End Audio/Audiophile (capital A) world, and- yes. It can be almost worse than a disease. One of the sites I frequented (and was invited to Moderate) was Audio Asylum, and partially due to that site, and the many people I connected with, I went "down the rabbit hole" in a Big Way for about 20 years. Spending $50k on an Audio system was almost considered the "Buy-in" for people I associated with, and I've seen, and heard, systems costing upwards of $300k-$400k.

Which was (and still is) way beyond what I was willing to spend, as the Laws of Diminishing Returns kicks-in pretty quickly, and I'm not made of money.

After two of my best friends, and serious Audio guys, passed away, I reevaluated my Life, and now most of my audio (small A) "systems" consist of either restored jukeboxes or stereo receivers from the 70's and early '80's.

Based on my experiences, and in my opinion: Being a Gearhead is like having the sniffles. Being an Audiophile is like having pneumonia.
When I built my home 30+ years ago, I had it pre-wired for speakers in multiple rooms, remote touchpads, multiple sources (AM/FM, turntable, Sonos, CD, iPod), etc., etc. Over the years, most of it becomes obsolete. So, not being "electronics handy", I would call my AV guy, have him come out to update, re-tune, etc. There's no telling how much I've spent. Now, as one component goes out I just shrug it off and get another bluetooth receiver to play Pandora from my phone. It's a lot easier, way less expensive, portable, and since I now wear hearing aids, I don't freak out over concert quality sound. At least that area of my life is winding down:)

Inside trailer parks and "planned communities" it's common to see odd limit signs like 18 or 12.

That one's done pretty good, though.

I recently learned the term "mid-fi".

In fact, I'm participating in a "discussion" about that term right now, on another forum.

I've got quite the collection of mid 70's to early 90's components.

Nothing "high end" though.

I suppose you could call my 1976 Empire turntable with real glass and teak "boutique".
...and the cueing switch that actually passes the electrical current through your finger tip...

-
Back