Range of the Temp SBM

-

DusterMex

Reaction score
Hi,

What is the range of the temp in SBM? Because I have a Duster 360 with dome pistons, 12.5 compression and my temp is around the 220 y 230. I think is too hot.

Is correct or I need to turn down the temp?

That's pretty hot....what Thermostat do you have like asked above...but a Thermostat won't control how hot the car gets only the operating temp when it opens......you could put a 10* thermostat in and after it opens the collant will warm up to what ever temp the rest of the cooling system will let it go to. What kind and size of Radiator do you have? What kind of fan....electric, crank driven? Have you tried running something like Water Wetter? Do you run a mix of water and antifreeze or straight water. I'd think in Mexico you could run straight water with 2 bottles of water wetter and that would be the best for cooling.....you shouldn't have to worry about freezing temps. a .060 over 360 is maxing that block out so you are going to transfer a ton of heat to the water jacket.

Hi Dusterb318,

About my cooling system: I don’t have a thermostat, the radiator alum 28x19 Summit, the fan is Proform 16 in 2,200cc, the water pump mechanical Flow Koller High-Volume with a electric water pump drive Proform. I mix water with antifreeze.

Maybe I need more fan or put a thermostat.

I think you do. The purpose is allow the temp of the engine to rise to the pre-set temp of the thermostat. When the t-stat opens to allow the heated water into the radiator to be cooled. It then shuts when the cool coolent from the radiator comes in.
Now the thermostat is shut, stopping flow into the rad. allowing the hot coolent to cool down.

In addition to a thermostat, the rad should have a shroud and the engine a fan to draw in cool air. The shroud help alot with this.
MoPars Viscous fan is very good at this if you want a mechanical fan on the engine/water pump.
Or electric fans for a no parasidic loose.

Put in soemthing like a 180 degree thermostat. With no thermostat, the water is probably circulating through the system so fast it doesn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool down. The thermostat will create a restriction allowing the water to stay in the radiator longer and get cooled down more.

DusterMex said:
Hi Dusterb318,

About my cooling system: I don’t have a thermostat, the radiator alum 28x19 Summit, the fan is Proform 16 in 2,200cc, the water pump mechanical Flow Koller High-Volume with a electric water pump drive Proform. I mix water with antifreeze.

Maybe I need more fan or put a thermostat.

If you're not running a thermostat the engine will get hotter than hell. The thermostat is not only to control the temperature it also controls the flow. Without it the coolant flow will be to high and since the coolant requires a set retention time for the heat of the block to transfer to the coolant it won't. If you don't run a thermostat then you at least put in an orifice plate.

demon seed you have the right idea on heat transfer but just backwards. The engine is transfering the heat to the coolant fine, hence the high temperature (a temp gauge measures coolant temp not block temp). The problem is that it passes thru the radiator so fast it does not have time to transfer the heat to the air via the radiator fins. You are 100% correct about putting some sort of orfice or restriction to slow the flow. This would be the first order of business to find a solution.

i have taken the moving parts out of many a thermostat, making a very simple restrictor plate to slow down the water into and out of the radiator, real cheap and it works,,,,

All these guys are right.....you need a Thermostat or at least a restrictor to slow down the coolant.

Hi, last weekend I put the thermostat and I ran for 30 minutes an the temp was 190 to 200 in ralenti, Later I went to the street and the temperature was rising slowly up to coming to the 230.

I decided to change the ventilator into the double one and the temperature was kept in 180 to 190.

The engine was newly armed I decided to extract it to highway, all the time in the highway the temperature was 190 already of return, when I come to the city the temp raised 210 on the traffic, I believe that it is a bit high. I run my car by 150 Miles.

The thermostats open a 160 and the fans 180.

I think that I need to establish the temperature at 180 to 190.

where do you have the timing set? What do your plugs look like? Too lean an air fule mixture will make the temp rise too......can you make the fans come on at say 170*. Have you tried adding a bottle of Redline Water Wetter?

Ahhhh, makes sense. No need to apologize.

Hi, Duster318,
Thank for you help me, I try to answers, maybe a have problem with my English, but I like to fix temp.

where do you have the timing set?
Initials 15° and total 36° or 37°

What do your plugs look like?
Look like a little white, the plugs are open 0.40

Too lean an air fule mixture
Actually I have a Carburetor, Street Avenger, 670 cfm, Square Bore, 4-Barrel, Vacuum, Manual Choke, Dual Inlet and the valve mixture fuel/air whit turn ½ open, jets size 70-74

can you make the fans come on at say 170*?
Yes I Can, I do that, I have a manual switch

Have you tried adding a bottle of Redline Water Wetter?
No yet, in Mexico City there is a Bottle of brand NOs cooler, do you think that NOs is the same?

Maybe the temp is pretty hot, because I have Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons, Dome Height (in):0.150, CR 11.8 to 13.6

You can order the Water Wetter from some place like summit racing.......the plugs should be a tan color.....up the primary jets one to two sizes in the carb and see where the temp is at. Also with that much Compression what type of fuel are you running. If you are running pump that is a ton of compression for that fuel and that much timing. Try backing the timing off like 2* too......

DusterMex said:
Maybe the temp is pretty hot, because I have Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons, Dome Height (in):0.150, CR 11.8 to 13.6

Next question directly related to that is, what octane gas do you run? 11.8-13.6 is a HUGE jump, any idea where it is? Sure hope you are running some race fuel...

Hi,

I will do, up the primary jets one to two sizes and order the Water Wetter.

Actually I am running pump gas 98 octanes and I will do the test of compression.

About the set timing, I live in Mexico City and altitude is 7,382 feet=2,250 meters. What trimming set do you recommend me?

This is the pistons

Thanks.

Well timing is one of those things that are trial and error based on HP......I'd set it at 32* and up it a little bit at a time until it pings (dentonates) and back it off 2* and set it. I really think the high temps are caused by your pump gas, high timing and lean jetting. Watch your plugs. Do you know how to read spark plugs to determine jetting and timing?

Dusterb318 said:
Well timing is one of those things that are trial and error based on HP......I'd set it at 32* and up it a little bit at a time until it pings (dentonates) and back it off 2* and set it. I really think the high temps are caused by your pump gas, high timing and lean jetting. Watch your plugs. Do you know how to read spark plugs to determine jetting and timing?

i agree on that. you have some high cr goin on there, you dont have much room for slack playing with 98octane..

-
Back