Rare 4-speed

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
Believe it or not I purchased two rare finds totally by accident. The first being a 1969 Barracuda 383 4-speed car minus motor and trans. I didn't know what it was until I ran the vin BH929H. Of course the driver's side engine pad location would've given this away to the average Mopar guy. The second being an 18-spline a body 4Speed. All I knew was that it was a 4-speed and my car needed one. So, I bought it without any idea what it was. I didn't even know the 4-speeds were body specific. Before anyone thinks I am bragging, I had to buy this stuff because my original 68 Barracuda was totaled when it was hit from behind by a drunk 19 year old female. I was merely looking for a body to replace mine. Sometimes luck favors the foolish.

I got excited by a rare A-833 once. Turns out it was for a Chevy.

Still rare, just not worth as much! Id love to get my hands on one for my dads chevy truck but don't have the funds to go hunting ATM.
Yea, but you have a really nice Mopar! I am going semi-gloss black on mine. Can't wait to see the purist faces sneer in disgust! I just wanted something really scary and menacing. So, I got a Hemi scoop and molded it to the stock fiberglass hood and tinted the back window red. Door glass will be red plexi or lexan. The quarter windows are also getting the red treatment. I have old school Positraction brand bias tires that will be mounted on torque thrust five spokes. Hurst duel whitewall striped tires in the front. Fiberglass bumpers. Total sixties style hot rod.

Brag away brother...Nice find.Thats how you do it !

My favorite was a pair of HiPo 340 manifolds,off Craigslist. Couldn't get to this guys house fast enough. He was a Chevy guy,and had no clue what they were. He wanted $100 and I offered him $75. Sold ! Still have them,and the dam things look NOS !

I am also trying to find a replacement body, but cant find a 22 year old to switch me.

Congrats!! Post pics of the cuda. I believe all "H" code cudas were formula "S", it being a 4spd makes it even more rare!

As far as I know, that rare 18 spline 4 speed can only have one source of origination...a 68 Hemi Dart or Cuda.
Of course, it could have been cobbled together...and there are no markings to confirm it being from an SS car, so I wouldn't be seeing any major dollar signs, but it's a really cool find!

As far as I know, that rare 18 spline 4 speed can only have one source of origination...a 68 Hemi Dart or Cuda.
Of course, it could have been cobbled together...and there are no markings to confirm it being from an SS car, so I wouldn't be seeing any major dollar signs, but it's a really cool find!

pretty easy to make a hemi a body box. just take a body main shaft and extension housing form a 23 spine and waala you have a hemi a body box. i should know :cheers: chances of it being out of a real SS/A car are slim

293trans010.jpg

What year is on the case of your 18 spline? I was told a story from an old hemi racer that some of the a body hemi trans were made by Chrysler in house and left out the back door and given to racers. I've got 2 of them. Especially the older ones because they never made an a body hemi trans for assembly cars. Does yours have a vin pad on it?

I would like to see pic's of the trans , these are extremely rare, I was thinking about buying 18 spline input shaft from Brewers and converting one of my 4 speeds.

I'll work on pics, the 1966 trans I've had for 38 years, was in my race duster in the 70's

I believe that is called Karma there Von!! Somebody taketh away your toys...the good Lord has given them back!! Of course, they need a little love, but hey, who don't!! Smileth all the way to the garage oh keeper of the 4 speed!!! Geof

-
Back