Rare 65 Barracuda Formula S

-
Real nice car. Disc-brake master cylinder reservoir is missing.

Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 14.20.57.jpg

Yup, it's a very nice car, but, it's not a total restoration. Lot's of things have been changed with aftermarket parts, which is understandable unless you're going to make a trailer queen ou of it. There's also some misinformation given at various points, such as 273 blocks are the same as a 340 (nonsense) and that a heavy duty radiator was standard on a Formula S (it is on an A/C car, but, otherwise was an option). They claim that everything was pulled for a repaint, so, it was like what the factory would have done, but, you can see the trunk wasn't repainted and the fuel filler neck was in the car when it was. If someone wants to buy this car and bring it back to stock, you would need to replace all the various aftermarket parts (including, but, not limited to...belts, hoses, battery and cables, radiator cap, plug wires, etc) with NOS originals or restoration parts that look like originals. Other stuff other than what Dan mentioned about the brake fluid reservoir.....it's got a later squareback alternator and regulator, the jack is held down with a bungee cord with the jack base out of place, along with improper hold down parts, the trunk hinge covers are misadjusted, Wrong trunk lid prop, wrong fuel inlet line to the carb, the zip tie for the heater hoses isn't stock, the fender tag is upside down, wrong windshield washer tee, wrong hood pad clips (and probably didn't even come with a hood pad), wrong sway bar link bolts, and it's had a major driveshaft mod. Like I said, it's a nice car and I'm sure that price was an issue with some stuff, but, they seem to be selective on patting themself on the back with certain items they bought for it and ignore other items that are just as important. Oh, and one other thing that always bugs me, not necessarily with this car, but, with most descriptions of what is included with a Formula S, and that is the "bolt-on" wheel covers. They DON"T bolt on! They hammer on just like most any other wheel cover, hub cap, or trim ring. There, end of rant! :lol:

Last edited:
I think the half vinyl top detracts from the look.
I know it's very rare on a 65, but I am not a fan.
Plus it's an Automatic, which I do not like either.

Yup, it's a very nice car, but, it's not a total restoration. Lot's of things have been changed with aftermarket parts, which is understandable unless you're going to make a trailer queen ou of it. There's also some misinformation given at various points, such as 273 blocks are the same as a 340 (nonsense) and that a heavy duty radiator was standard on a Formula S (it is on an A/C car, but, otherwise was an option). They claim that everything was pulled for a repaint, so, it was like what the factory would have done, but, you can see the trunk wasn't repainted and the fuel filler neck was in the car when it was. If someone wants to buy this car and bring it back to stock, you would need to replace all the various aftermarket parts (including, but, not limited to...belts, hoses, battery and cables, radiator cap, plug wires, etc) with NOS originals or restoration parts that look like originals. Other stuff other than what Dan mentioned about the brake fluid reservoir.....it's got a later squareback alternator and regulator, the jack is held down with a bungee cord with the jack base out of place, along with improper hold down parts, the trunk hinge covers are misadjusted, Wrong trunk lid prop, wrong fuel inlet line to the carb, the zip tie for the heater hoses isn't stock, the fender tag is upside down, wrong windshield washer tee, wrong hood pad clips (and probably didn't even come with a hood pad), wrong sway bar link bolts, and it's had a major driveshaft mod. Like I said, it's a nice car and I'm sure that price was an issue with some stuff, but, they seem to be selective on patting themself on the back with certain items they bought for it and ignore other items that are just as important. Oh, and one other thing that always bugs me, not necessarily with this car, but, with most descriptions of what is included with a Formula S, and that is the "bolt-on" wheel covers. The DON"T bolt on! They hammer on just like most any other wheel cover, hub cap, or trim ring. There, end of rant! :lol:
Damn, I would make some friends posting that in this auction. lol

Yeah I used to have a couple of vinyl top '66's, but, didn't like the look, so, sold them. I don't mind an automatic, but, not the cable shift ones. That's just one reason out of many that I like the '66 an up stuff better. Lots more and better options.

I don't have a real opinion on the vinyl top but I thought it looked pretty neat on Anna Bryant's '66 Barracuda "Grandma's Racer". I wonder where they and that car are today.

Grandma's racer '66 Barracuda.jpg

I happened across that car in Fall 1990. It was still in the hands of the original owner (an elderly woman). She showed me the window sticker with the disc brakes. I didn't have a camera with me. She worked at an Antique shop on Hwy 49 between Oakhurst and Mariposa, CA.

That color red works well with the vinyl top. That "Boston Creme", not so much. :)
That creme color looks like the paint they used on the 65 Dart Chargers.

According to this article in 2012 they live in NC and didn't start racing until 1994 semi-Professionally.
BY MERLE MONAHAN/CONTRIBUTING WRITER [email protected] IVOR—Collis Bryant and his wife, Anna, who have drag raced semi-professionally since 1994, know all about throwing caution to the wind. The Ivor couple has raced some of the largest tracks across the nation. Collis Bryant until recently drove a 1972 Plymouth Duster, while his wife’s car is a 1966 red Plymouth Barracuda known as “Grandma’s Racer.” The Bryants, both 65, estimate they have won close to 30 percent of their races. “When Collis won his biggest, first-place trophy at the Virginia Motor Sports Park in Dinwiddie, Va., I told him that I’d be next,” Anna Bryant said. “Sure enough, I was! I won the very next year. Now we have twin trophies.” Racing since they were 47, the Bryants regularly bring home trophies, cash and first-place honors. Anna Bryant has even been featured in national magazines Mopar Muscle and High Performance Mopar. “She’s so good, when we arrive at the track, the first thing the other racers want to know is which one of us they’ll be racing against. They’re not thrilled with Anna,” Collis Bryant said. The Bryants, the grandparents of 11, started racing after their four children finished school. “They were all on their own when Anna and I got into the competition, although I wasn’t sure Anna would go along with it,” Collis Bryant said. “She just kept saying ‘she didn’t like it.’ But then I took her down to the racetrack with me and let her ride in my car. Five months later, she was driving. “The only thing is, she’s so short, just 4-foot-9,” Collis Bryant said. “I had to build up the accelerator so she could push the pedal all the way down.” He noted that many people don’t understand drag racing. It is an acceleration contest from a standing-start between two vehicles over a measured distance at a specifically designed drag race facility, Collis Bryant said. “These contests are started by means of an electronic device commonly called a Christmas Tree,” he said. “Upon leaving the starting line, each contestant activates a timer that is stopped when the same vehicle reaches the finish line.” The start-to-finish clocking is the vehicle’s elapsed time, which measures performance and often serves to determine handicaps during competition. Collis Bryant said elapsed time bracket racing is by far the most popular form of drag racing, which is what they do. “It is a handicapped form of competition where two vehicles of unequal performance can race on a somewhat even basis,” he said. “This is when the average times of each car after three practice runs on the one-quarter-mile track are compared, and the difference in seconds is given to the slower car, giving it this much of a head start.” “With this system, virtually any two vehicles can be paired in a competitive drag race,” Collis Bryant added. Ivor drag racers Collis and Anne Bryants will offer free classes in the sport starting at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 12, at Beamon and Johnson NAPA Auto Parts at 1211 Armory Drive. The class is open to anyone old enough to drive with a state-inspected vehicle. “We’ll take novices — teenagers, their parents and friends,” Collis Bryant said. “They’ll learn how to race and will know every inch of their car before they finish the class.” Once students have a basic knowledge and can handle their car, they will practice at the one-eighth-mile Northeast Dragway in Elizabeth City, N.C. To sign up and for more information, call Anna Bryant at 334-6267.

Read more at: Drag racing grandma - The Tidewater News

Damn, I would make some friends posting that in this auction. lol
That's a nice ride. Thanks for posting. I like it just the way it is. That price reflects what it really is and is realistic. It's hard to say whether it will sell for that. I would definitely prefer it was a manual trans but they aren't for everyone either. It would make a great cruiser and get thumbs up everywhere you drove it.

Now that I didn't expect. There have been really nice ones on EBAY that won't do 30K
Sold 53.5k. Bringatrailer has a unique bidding system that makes selling a car on eBay pretty stupid. You can't swoop in and take a car at the last second on bringatrailer. If a bid is made in the last two minutes, the auction is extended another minute, and this keeps going until people stop bidding.

They just listed a green 66 formula S four speed. Interesting timing, minutes after the other Barracuda ended.

Sold 53.5k. Bringatrailer has a unique bidding system that makes selling a car on eBay pretty stupid. You can't swoop in and take a car at the last second on bringatrailer. If a bid is made in the last two minutes, the auction is extended another minute, and this keeps going until people stop bidding.

They just listed a green 66 formula S four speed. Interesting timing, minutes after the other Barracuda ended.
Thanks for the bidding info. I have never bought anything off bring a trailer. I did get a couple of cars off ebay that way years ago. I didn't know you couldn't do that anymore. I have a Citron Green 66 Formula S in my Barn with no floor pans and 1/3 of the rear quarters. LOL Would you post the 66 please?

Wow ! 53.500​

Value of $3,700 from 1965 to 2024​

$3,700 in 1965 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $36,903.10 today, an increase of $33,203.10 over 59 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.98% per year between 1965 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 897.38%.

This means that today's prices are 9.97 times as high as average prices since 1965, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 10.026% of what it could buy back then.

The inflation rate in 1965 was 1.61%. The current inflation rate compared to the end of last year is now 2.97%. If this number holds, $3,700 today will be equivalent in buying power to $3,809.94 next year.

Wow ! 53.500​

Value of $3,700 from 1965 to 2024​

$3,700 in 1965 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $36,903.10 today, an increase of $33,203.10 over 59 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.98% per year between 1965 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 897.38%.

This means that today's prices are 9.97 times as high as average prices since 1965, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 10.026% of what it could buy back then.

The inflation rate in 1965 was 1.61%. The current inflation rate compared to the end of last year is now 2.97%. If this number holds, $3,700 today will be equivalent in buying power to $3,809.94 next year.
Yep you see it every day in everything you buy...but rarely on your cost-of-living raise! How much does it cost to make a hundred dollar bill? LOL

Thanks for the bidding info. I have never bought anything off bring a trailer. I did get a couple of cars off ebay that way years ago. I didn't know you couldn't do that anymore. I have a Citron Green 66 Formula S in my Barn with no floor pans and 1/3 of the rear quarters. LOL Would you post the 66 please?

I sold a 74 charger for 23k on there a couple years ago. I've also bought a car on a similar site called carsandbids, they just don't sell the real classic stuff. Bought an 89 Dakota convertible off there a couple years ago.

The green 66 four speed.

I sold a 74 charger for 23k on there a couple years ago. I've also bought a car on a similar site called carsandbids, they just don't sell the real classic stuff. Bought an 89 Dakota convertible off there a couple years ago.

The green 66 four speed.

[/URL][/URL]
So that's what they look like with floor pans and carpet...Thanks for posting. That's a pretty nice one as well. I do Have the same 66 Inland shifter just no place to mount the boot. LOL

According to this article in 2012 they live in NC and didn't start racing until 1994 semi-Professionally.
BY MERLE MONAHAN/CONTRIBUTING WRITER [email protected] IVOR—Collis Bryant and his wife, Anna, who have drag raced semi-professionally since 1994, know all about throwing caution to the wind....

Read more at: Drag racing grandma - The Tidewater News

Thanks A56. I met Collis and Anna at Dinwiddie VA in the latter part of 1990s, me being a newbie on the track. Collis was driving the '66 at the time and took me under his belt and helped me get started. In this photo, Collis repositioned himself in the staging lanes so he could run against me in time trials. I have always appreciated that and the conversations we had at the track as early A Barracuda racers.

I suppose they are both roughly 77 years old now. I miss seeing them both and hope they are well.

Grandma's Racer.jpg

-
Back