Rare 65 Barracuda Formula S

-
Thanks A56. I met Collis and Anna at Dinwiddie VA in the latter part of 1990s, me being a newbie on the track. Collis was driving the '66 at the time and took me under his belt and helped me get started. In this photo, Collis repositioned himself in the staging lanes so he could run against me in time trials. I have always appreciated that and the conversations we had at the track as early A Barracuda racers.

I suppose they are both roughly 77 years old now. I miss seeing them both and hope they are well.

View attachment 1716281582
Two sweet looking Barracudas' in that picture.

I think the Vinyl top looks ok on a '66, I guess the pointier style makes it more pleasing to me.
@DC 340 Remember Andy Carpenters '66 S? It had the black top on a Gold body.

Oh, and one other thing that always bugs me, not necessarily with this car, but, with most descriptions of what is included with a Formula S, and that is the "bolt-on" wheel covers. The DON"T bolt on! They hammer on just like most any other wheel cover, hub cap, or trim ring. There, end of rant! :lol:
The period description of this style of wheel covers from the 10-65 Barracuda order code list is "WHEEL COVERS - Bolt on Wheel Design"... so there is that.

1966 barracuda code list page3.jpg

Regarding the "bolt on wheel covers" aspect, I can add this. My 1965 10.5 - 1 273 4 bbl 4 speed Barracuda had 10" drums and 13" wheels, as well as a front sway bar. The lug nuts had shoulders on them, and little black washers under the shoulders. The hub caps had to go on the wheels (properly orintation required) first. When the wheels were bolted on the car, the shoulders on the lug nuts captured the hub caps. The hub caps were actually two piece, with the center section and the outer section joined with a ring on the back side. This allowed a little "wiggle room" so that the valve stem would not touch the wheel cover when indexed on the wheel studs. Once aligned to that rim, never move it again. Mine had Commando V-8 emblems and was not a Formula S. Blew the spider gears out of the 7 1/4" and replaced it with an 8 3/4" sure gripped 3.23 after a hard launch with 4 guys in the car.......................... Hope this helps.

Those lug nuts and/or washers must have something aftermarket. The stock lug nuts were just extra long, chromed, and stuck through the holes in the "wheel covers".

I think the Vinyl top looks ok on a '66, I guess the pointier style makes it more pleasing to me.
@DC 340 Remember Andy Carpenters '66 S? It had the black top on a Gold body.

Hey Stan. No on Andy's '66 S. I am drawing a complete blank. :)

I sold a 74 charger for 23k on there a couple years ago. I've also bought a car on a similar site called carsandbids, they just don't sell the real classic stuff. Bought an 89 Dakota convertible off there a couple years ago.

The green 66 four speed.

[/URL][/URL]
That's a real early '66 with the V emblems. Mine has a SO # the day before! They sure did change a lot under the hood though. Besides the brake upgrade, the carb, brackets, pulleys, fan, ignition system, and power steering pump setup have all been swapped out, and not stock. Whoever is going to own it and drive it better install a fan spacer, or that fan is going to come apart someday. They generally don't like being bolted directly onto the water pump pulley. The centers can fatigue and crack. Get a full round one too, not the cross type. Oh, and wrong horn button and gas cap. I wonder about the wheel covers, if they're the originals or not. My early V car came with the V emblems everywhere.......horn button, grille emblem, back glass chrome, and wheel cover centers.

Last edited:
Hey Stan. No on Andy's '66 S. I am drawing a complete blank. :)
I wish I had a picture.
Andy and I met one summer, we both worked at Carmatic changing transmissions!
His was painted a cadilac light gold, with no stripe, S with a Commando 273 and the vinyl top.

-
Back