Rat Rods

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Are any of you guys into rat rods? I kept an open mind regarding their look but I just can't find anything truly appealing about rat rods. Where did the "rat rod" scene develop?

Like everything else. Southern California. I love um. But to me.....somethin in the 1960s era is too new for a rat rod. I like from the 20s to the 50s. They are awesome. I'd love to do a slant T bucket.

Depends on how ratty they are. I like some of them, the ones that are put together well and basically a rat rod paint job. Don't really care for the ones where they use any old metal like license plates, etc for floorboards, patch panels, etc. Anything newer than 50 though I don't care for a rat rod treatment. Those cars look better shiny and fast in my opinion.

I like um

Here's one I saw at Somerset Kentucky couple of years ago

Attachments

• 029 (Medium).jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 499
  • 027 (Medium).jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 028 (Medium).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 505
I love em, i went to a huge ratrod cruise in this weekend in Austin...cant get enough!
i agree though, they gotta be old and have off the wall stuff used (one had a outboard motor cover as a hood scoop, it was awesome).

I like some rat rods. I would like to build one for my next project. No top, welded doors and chrome exhaust along midline of body front to back, with mopar motor of course.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Omj6zxtIB0&feature=related"]YouTube - hemi powered rat rod... omfg this is great[/ame]

turn up sound

Absolutely love em. hard to get that look w/ anything newer than a '59 and make it work. However, Saturday afternoon on telegraph ave in Berekely I saw newer (2000's) de-badged dodge pickup in flat black w/ red steel wheels & babymoons & I really liked it.

I guess my friends and I were into Rat Rods long before they were considered cool. They were what you did when you couldn't afford or didn't have the skills to create a real street rod. I guess I've probably still got a few next to the river on the farm........seriously rusted and bent by the ice now though.
Rat rods aren't for me.

Here is a Slanted one a guy from SlantSix.org did, hope he doesn't mind.

Click the title to view.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/9255485@N04/sets/72157600508510457/"]Cassandra - a set on Flickr[/ame]

Rat Rods developed from the late forties and into the 50's. Most were made from junk yard parts. What ever you didn't need was pulled off to litin the car. Alot of the old Rat Rods were a mixture of many different car parts, what ever was available. Alot of the go fast stuff was developed from that era ,Iski , Edelbrok, Offenhauser. Nail head and flat head were the engines of choice and Caddy until the Hemi's came out. Back then it took little or nothing to build a low buget ride as many of the parts and cars were in someones pasture. Now people are spending thousands to get that old rusty look. Bodies are becomming harder to find and junk yards want a fortune for their parts. Its fun to see it come around again it reminds me of a simpler time.

A genuine one:

Attachments

• DSC06261.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 426
  • DSC06255.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC06254.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC06252.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 453
  • DSC06260.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 458
  • DSC06259.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC06253.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC06248.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC06257.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC06250.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 483
My buddy and I have been building this: '45 Chev truck. These are last years pics... it now has a bed that we made and custom fenders on the engine sides

Rat1.jpg

Rat2.jpg

^^ The tank came from my '70s RV that I used as an ice fishing shack! :)

A guy locally has a 30 Model A Sedan body on Craigslist.... and I'm debating on pulling the trigger for it.

Hate them. After getting this job at the rod shop it shows a lot more skill to be able to put the work in and finish the car. Sorry, but if I have a car and want people to look at it, I don't want anything ratty at all... unless it's just a temporary work in progress sort of deal. Plus, it seems that rat rod is used way too loosely. Those unsafe excuses of hot rods are an insult to the hobby in my opinion. And just because your car has patina doesnt make it a rat....

I'm just gonna stop there.... I think in the end it's just a matter of opinion.

I personally don't care for them, but they have their place.
I can respect the time and effort that their owners put into them.
Having said that, the rat rod folks do some things that we would be shocked to see or laugh at. The safety issue of the cars are certainly in question and I don't really want one behind me during a panic stop.
In the end, the world would be a pretty damn dull place if we all liked the same thing.

I have a '31 Ford Roadster Hot Rod and I hate it when drooling knuckle draggers walk up saying, "Yo!! Rat Rodz are tight yo! Needs more skullz and iron krosses. Derr...."

1931 Ford Model A Roadster. 1962 Chevy 283 with a Paxton supercharger and lake pipes. T-5 five speed stick. Chrysler 8 3/4 rearend. Built it myself.

Just flat out hauls ***.

modela03.JPG

Here's a link to a video ride:

http://waywardgarage.com/2370/going-for-a-burrito-in-the-model-a/

Rat Rods don't interest me much. Yeah I seen some that looked Ok and some not. I can't figure out how some cars would be allowed on the road as low as some sit or without a floorboard.

i tend to agree with hemizach. the ratrod word is used way too much. some idiot thinks his 86 camaro is a rat rod cause he painted it flat black using a roller and its all rusted out. a real rat rod is a late 20's to 40's . usually a pickup . some are roadworthy and some are just unbelievabley only farm use material. anyhow like em or not they are here to stay. as far as matthons pic's go that is not a rat rod. just a very ugly hot rod. there is a difference.

Too many people confuse "rat rods" with traditional hot rods. As many of us greybeards remember, the hot rods of our youth were rarely finished and the go-fast parts were much more important than chrome or shiny paint. Skulls, iron crosses, swastikas and rubber rats with red eyes, do not a hot rod make, but a loud motor, flat or primer paint and period correct speed parts do. Leave the rat rods for the rats. Trad hot rods rule!

Don't even get me started on so-called "rat rod muscle cars", Joe Dirt muscle cars is what they really are. Satin painted late models with black or painted wheels, I like.

just my opinion.

Good n bad....I fell for it a few years ago and produced a bastard contraption...it's still a work in progress although we drive it regularly now that weather is gooder.:tongue10:

My opinion about how and what was stated on another rat rod thread so I wont rant. Everyone here has a good and valid point...I hate that term by the way...rat rod...some are more like half finished rat turds.....i digress.

I like the fact that instead of scrapping an old shell (Pre 1955), they are reusing..recycling..buying new stuff to fill in the literal gaps and helping the economy by spending. It all really just helps keep rodding alive no matter how or what we/they drive...that's cool no?

Off the box.....we call this a jalopy...like the old timers did.:grin:

Mop

Attachments

• 100_1317w.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 325
o love em but i agree that the term is used too loosely. ive seen people calling flat black Buick grand nationals "rat rods" no no no and more no. rat rods should be pre '65 and rusty and patina'd and what not. also just cause they look "unsafe" at a glance does not mean that they are. usually they are as safe as any of our cars, especially if they are built by a pro. the key is to make the only look like that, things like Disc brakes covered by drums and stuff like that.
just my 2 cents

They are a conversation item more than anything... worth about a minute or two then that's about it.

That's not true, they are fun to own, and drive.......

This is my favorite rat rod, I would like to have one with a 600+HP P Pump twin turbo 6BT though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVlov_t4fjg"]YouTube - cummins rat rod[/ame]

That's not true, they are fun to own, and drive.......

This is my favorite rat rod, I would like to have one with a 600+HP P Pump twin turbo 6BT though.

YouTube - cummins rat rod

See, all I see there is a off the wall hot rod in bare primer. It isn't even rusty, and the frame is finished completely... all painted... and it has shiny chrome wheels on it. Perfect example of the term being used too loosely.

-
Back