Ratchet Extension. I had no idea this existed

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had no idea.

Such a simple tool every tool box needs one!

Last weekend I skinned up my knuckles and tweaked a few fins on my radiator removing my fan to test fit my shroud.

I will be needing to do a few more test fits so I decided to look into an electric ratchet.

I found one that was long and thin but 120.00.

Then I stumbled on this:

Screenshot_20230507-230035.png

3/8" drive

put a ratchet on one end and a socket on the other and turn the ratchet in the comfort of your living room!

Another ad showed the guts...

A sprocket at both ends to drive the 3/8" square holes and a bicycle chain to connect the two.

The cutaway one had a plastic housing. Not sure about this one and ut was only 9 inches long this one is 13" IIRC

I don't need it to torque the bolts just to loosen them the inch or so to get the fan and spacer off.

This one was in the 40.00 range on Amazon.

The smaller plastic one was about 17.00

Many sellers had what looked like the same ones for prices that were all over the place.

I'll report back on the outcome.

My junior pulled one of these out of his box a few days ago......
Robot or human?
I thought I wanted one until I gave it a spin. Head is fine toothed. When I told jr. I would surely strip it he reminded me that I'm not so strong today. He did say that he would strip it soon enough. LOL

I thought I wanted one until I gave it a spin. Head is fine toothed. When I told jr. I would surely strip it he reminded me that I'm not so strong today. He did say that he would strip it soon enough
My plan is to break the bolts loose with a regular wrench then use this to unscrew them.

In reverse same, snug them, then torque to spec with a torque wrench

That's slick. I had a v8 Vega with the fan almost against the radiator, that would have been handy.
I did it a different way. The long extension, welded in the middle of a cheap 1/2 wrench.

20230412_143805.jpg

I got the two extensions today. The long blue one is all metal.

The shorter black one has a plastic housing

I have not tried either yet. Maybe this weekend.

Now I just need an electric 3/8 ratchet

I bought one of those at Barrett Jackson a few years back. I still haven't found a use for it :)

Don't rule out pnuematic ratchet. I see used ones all the time pretty cheap on CL.
Take it from the toolman, used air ratchets are usually no good. There's a reason they are up for sale. 28 years in the business.

-
Back