RB Valve Geometry Question

-

threewood

Reaction score
Putting together my 440 with 440Source Stealth heads, Crane ductile rocker arms 1:5 ratio. Installed valve spring height is 1.880", Hughes solid lifter cam, lift is .552".

This is the rocker arm swipe at rest, base circle, no pushrod interference. Toward intake side. Will shims be enough to move it closer to center? Raising it a bit will also fix an issue with the exhaust retainers kissing the underside of the rocker arms. Does anyone make wedged shims to move the shaft closer to the exhaust side?

20170404_092533.jpg
20170404_092450.jpg

I clearanced the pushrod holes in the head and mocked up #6 and #2 intake rocker. Swipe looks centered on both. I had posted this same question on fbbo and a member there run these rockers and says it looks good. So here is what I ended up with on both.
20170404_190715.jpg

Here is the pushrod after grinding out the hole...
20170404_192248.jpg

IMO it's too wide a sweep. So you need to figure out why. Does it start too far towards the intake side? You want it to start slightly towards the intake side and centered at 50% lift. Full lift it should be slightly towards the intake side again. Your sweep is twice what it should be IMO.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to the B3 racing engine web site. He makes the very best geometry correction kits I know of. It's worth the time and effort to use them. Your valve train will thank you.

Call Mike at B3 and talk to him. Worth every second of time.

IMO it's too wide a sweep. So you need to figure out why. Does it start too far towards the intake side? You want it to start slightly towards the intake side and centered at 50% lift. Full lift it should be slightly towards the intake side again. Your sweep is twice what it should be IMO.
I thot the same thing. my 628 lift solid roller has about 1/2 that and is centered.

It's just like everything in a motor there is always ways to make some things better, I definitely do the most critical first then the less critical last if I have the $, If you don't have push rods yet raise the shafts and see if you can make it better, If you already have push rods I would just leave it there it will work fine. A engine can be a never ending money sucking vacuum if you let it, or you can make a good engine that serves your purpose for reasonably cheap. Or anything in between.

It's just like everything in a motor there is always ways to make some things better, I definitely do the most critical first then the less critical last if I have the $, If you don't have push rods yet raise the shafts and see if you can make it better, If you already have push rods I would just leave it there it will work fine. A engine can be a never ending money sucking vacuum if you let it, or you can make a good engine that serves your purpose for reasonably cheap. Or anything in between.

I don't have pushrods ordered yet but I do have a shim kit I could try on it. It looked wide to me as well. What is the difference, if any, on the rocker tip swipe between non-roller and roller tip?

-
Back