Re-birth of my 1968 Barracuda

-

blufie

Cuda Affecianado
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been asked by several members about details and pictures on my 68 Barracuda project (round 3) and though I am in the final stages of the major transformation of this old friend I finally have some pictures and a few minutes so here it is...

First the long background. I was 15 1/2, it was 1982. I had been corrupted at an early age by a friends uncle who had a nice Superbird 440 - (B7 blue and as fun as it got for a car junkie) and was in search of a Mopar for my first car and wanted a Cuda. I found a 68 in OK listed as "needs some work". It was just at the edge of the wrong side of town but I went anyway. What I found was a pure beater. Holes rusted through floorboards and rear quarters at usual spots, V8 (-318- with chevy 2bbl on 4bbl intake (weird adapter), 727, and 391 single leg rear, slotted mags, few dents, bad paint, etc... Not sure what they were trying to do with this thing but it was a White 68 fastback and I had to have it. $200 later I was driving it home using the coat hanger tied to the broken throttle cable and pulled through the firewall as a gas pedal. I might have been a little stupid to take on such an animal but I was proud as hell! I fixed the throttle, added a carter AVS, headers, and new-ish tires and drove the heck out of this car. The following year I built a stout (for the day) 318 and regularly ran 14's at the drag nights each w/e.

Through the remaining years I painted it white twice (once myself), wrecked it, turned it over on its side, got a few tickets, used it to drive away from my first wedding, and never lost my love for it. My father and his friends always lamented about all the cool cars they let "get away" and I vowed to hang onto the cool ones if I could. Luckily for me I have been able to do so.

As I said, I am in the final stages of getting this car back on the road as a fun street car with track potential as well. Here is a short list of the things I have done. I would be happy to elaborate on them if asked but I talk too much anyway so here is the done list.

1. New quarters/floor pans.
2. 6-Point custom roll bars.
3. Conversion from white ext w/wine interior to Plum Crazy ext w/Black int.
4. Peppy 360 w/alum heads, roller internals, also has electric fans, water pump and ignition.
5. Complete rewire with Pro-Street kit.
6. Custom dash with Mopar gauges and "old school toggles" for the electronics
7. 16" Torq-Thrust II's
8. Removeable Sterring Wheel mod
8. Tubular Upper A-Arms (the good ones)
9. Front/Rear disc conversions (74 duster fronts, SSBC rear kit)
10. New rear axles.
11. New seat covers, dash, headliner, etc...
12. B&M Hammer shifter with line loc setup.
13. 10Gal fuel cell in trunk.

To Do:
1. Rear spring relocate and replace, new drive shaft, gears (if needed)
2. New tires (drag radials in rear)
3. Quick ration steering box.
4. Some trim work
5. Tune and Run!!!

These pics are not the best but you'll get the idea. I know that most everything in the way of mods, paint, interior, etc... has been done before but this car is just how I wanted it thus no reason not to be happy with it. I did not do the bodywork and paint, nor the roll bars, but I have done all the rest of the work myself. As I said, if anyone has specific questions on anything PM me and I will reply as I have time. I may do some drill-downs on some of my favorite mods as well.

Thanks for all the help and wisdom I have received from the FABO group - you are all an excellent resource and though I rarely have time to post I appreciate this community. :-D

Cuda2009psgr_sm.JPG

Cuda2009 012_sm.JPG

Cuda2009 014_sm.JPG

Cuda2009 010_sm.JPG

Cuda2009 015_sm.JPG

Looks awesome! :-D

Good to hear about a car actually getting used! I know I drive my Challenger as my only car, and fix things as I go. Eventually I'll get the time to do a more thorough resto, but for the moment I love driving it and just taking on one thing at a time.

What are you doing for the quick ratio steering box? I bought a 20:1 worm gear, but haven't got around to rebuilding the box yet. Are you planning on doing it yourself?

Looks awesome! :-D

What are you doing for the quick ratio steering box? I bought a 20:1 worm gear, but haven't got around to rebuilding the box yet. Are you planning on doing it yourself?

Thanks! As for the box, I didn't really know if I wanted one until I started driving this again and forgot how many turns it takes to get lock to lock. Its last thing on my list so had not decided either way. I would enjoy doing it myself and probably save some cabbage that way too so thanks for the sugestion!

Dash switch panel mod...

I guess that this will be one of thos mods that some like some don't, I DO... so I DID 8)

This was a painless wiring switch panel that I re-purposed for my cars electrical. I had Rocky Mountain leave radio cutout in and I hand drilled these - they are close but not perfect. Rocky Mountain went out of business the day before I ordered this dash but they had enough stock to make this one and they agreed to so I feel very lucky to have it.

From left to right it is Start / Ignition / Electric Fuel Pump / Electric Water Pump / Secondary radiator fan (Primary is on 180deg switch) and the last one powers the line lock system switch on the shifter.

Looks pretty good lit up, sorry no pics of that! The panel came with some small black stick on labels but I haven't decided if they are going on or not. I really like the way they turned out!

IMG_1150.jpg

Looks like a great car!

I just wanna play with all those cool switches.

Switches are fun, more switches more fun, impress the girls.

What's this one do?

What's that one do?

Oh yeah, what's that one do?

Ohhh.

-
Back