re-flaring brake line

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
so i'm switching my from drums from 9" to 10" and in the process the rubber brake line is rusted to the hard line? has anyone just cut the hard line at the fitting and re-flared it? i need to get my car on the road and am on a limited income. thanks for the help in advance...

thanks

adam

As long as it is long enough?

Uou can cust it off, slide the flare fitting back over the line, and use a flare tool. Make sure you double flare the end, it has to be strong and double rooled.

You will need a flare tool kit to do this.

flaring steel lines is tricky. The steel likes to crack. I turn the tool screw very slowly and very little and tap on the top of the screw with a hammer. I have seen 3rd try is a charm LOL. I might be best to buy a short piece of tubing with a factory flare on it and add the length needed with a compression union.

You need the double flare tool. Gotta double flare steel lines. It's the right and safest way to do it without cracking the steel line.

it sounds like you are replacing the rubber hose? If so, have you tried heating up the siezed pieces a bit? sometimes a bit of heat does wonders.

1)Pull the clip off the line
2)Spin the line off the nut
3)apply heat to the nut while trying to turn it till it breaks free
4)Install new hose and clip
5)Tighten line

Heat is your friend.......I would try and do it like chryslerfat said. If after applying heat the nut doesn't come loose the line probably needs to be replaced as well. I wouldn't mess with trying to re-flare an old line.

Here's a trick just for fun to try, too. Melt a little candlewax into the fitting and walk away for a little while. Better than any penetrating oil on the market as the wax carries the heat inside the fitting to the line where it does the most good and acts as a lubricant that won't flow out once it dries.

-
Back