Re-installing column...what the?!

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just dumb but this thing beat me up for hours today, never got it together.

67 Dart, manual steering...coupler is on the box, which is bolted to the k frame. Trying to get the column shaft in but I absolutely cannot get the little pieces and spring to slip into the coupler, seems like it's a super tight fit. Obviously it used to work since I took it apart!

Any tips or tricks? Assuming I'm going this right but looking at the FSM I am..

This is how I do it. First pack the coupler with grease put spring and shims on the steering shaft out of the car. Then slide the whole column through firewall onto steering box, important make sure you have the flange on the in side of the wall set right. It is easiest with two people. Also before you start slide the coupler on and off the splines on the gearbox a couple of times to make sure it goes on easy.

To put the box coupling together under the hood isn't proper proceedure.
The box coupling should be completed on the column, then placed on the steering gear.

To put the box coupling together under the hood isn't proper proceedure.
The box coupling should be completed on the column, then placed on the steering gear.

X2
knock the spring pin out of the coupler, pull the coupler off the steering gear and put it on the shaft, then install the shaft assembly.

X2
knock the spring pin out of the coupler, pull the coupler off the steering gear and put it on the shaft, then install the shaft assembly.

And when you do, you may have to take a file and slightly file the opening to allow the square blocks to slide back into the coupler slots(I did when reassembling mine). Make sure they go in the right slots, or you'll have lots of slop in the steering.

Gee whiz Beave... well that explains it. I guess I should read the manual instead of just look at the pictures, lol.

However, this gives me hope! Maybe I can get that thing on there tonight. Thanks guys, FABO always doing me right.

It will fit only one way. Center the box; then one slot is bigger, in the splines. A 2 person job, to see which one has the better cusswords. The guy underhood, guiding, or the guy in a bind inside, trying to twist and push, while every muscle un-known, is getting a work-out. Then, bingo, slides home.

I have installed my column several times by myself, it’s easy. As Redfish said, assemble coupler onto steering shaft while out of car first. Be sure internal parts fit and slide into housing, and there is no slop or play, and coupler housing easily accepts steering gear spline. Then pack housing with grease, install shoes & springs etc., slid it onto steering shaft, and crimp down seal.
Install steering wheel & column into car leaving attaching bolts & nuts loose so assembly can be moved for& aft to aid sliding coupler onto steering gear. If column is wrong length, loosen the two bolts securing clamp and “O” ring at floor board base plate to adjust position of shaft in relation to steering gear. Coupler should now easily slide onto steering gear spline. Once coupler is in place and secured onto steering gear with split pin, seat the bolts & nuts attaching column to dash & floor.

I have installed my column several times by myself, it’s easy. As Redfish said, assemble coupler onto steering shaft while out of car first. Be sure internal parts fit and slide into housing, and there is no slop or play, and coupler housing easily accepts steering gear spline. Then pack housing with grease, install shoes & springs etc., slid it onto steering shaft, and crimp down seal.
Install steering wheel & column into car leaving attaching bolts & nuts loose so assembly can be moved for& aft to aid sliding coupler onto steering gear. If column is wrong length, loosen the two bolts securing clamp and “O” ring at floor board base plate to adjust position of shaft in relation to steering gear. Coupler should now easily slide onto steering gear spline. Once coupler is in place and secured onto steering gear with split pin, seat the bolts & nuts attaching column to dash & floor.

Yep, thats the way to do it. Y'all gotta remember that at the factory the columns were installed in the body along with the interiors.before the drivetrains and k frames as assembled sub assemblies were put in the car from underneath. Once the k frames were bolted up then the steering shaft couplings (installed on column) was pulled forward to mate with the steering box splines, then they drove in a roll pin to complete that end of the install.

I forgot about this thread! Something interesting to note, my Mopar Performance 20:1 gear did not have the "master spline" on it, but splined the same all the way around.

Also, my problem was I did need to file on the inner lip of the coupler to allow the shoes and spring to slide in.

It's back in...and I had to force the coupler onto the worm gear because of the missing "master spline" but it works fine, I've adjusted the box now after rebuilding, nice and tight and no pansy power steering needed ;)

Oh, and getting the column in by myself is easy now that I filed the edges of the coupler smooth. I used a jackstand with a towel over it to hold the column up in the car, with a few of the bolts in the u bracket, loose while I got it connected to the coupler.

i have never seen one that needed internal filing.
make sure you index the coupler with the steering wheel

i have never seen one that needed internal filing.
make sure you index the coupler with the steering wheel

I did, and it needed filing probably because I had to beat on it a little. I hate to admit to doing that, but without that master spline it wasn't going on otherwise.

-
Back