Real data. EQ standard replacement Magnum head and comparisons with oem and NZ versions.

-
The biggest problem with the new EQ heads are the seat insert on the intake (it won't take a 2.02 period! Not a correctly done 2.02 valve job anyway) and the fact that the spring seat can't be cut down .100 like the older version making it a low lift deal.

Charlie doesn’t seem to like doing the “5 minute bowl blend”, but it would be interesting to see how close the higher lift numbers would get to the OE heads(2-teens) with just that quickie bit of work.

Looks like the ootb Chinese EQ is down 30+ cfm to the older NZ version.

After way more work than a 5 minute bowl blend the intake port is better than the factory magnum head, but not as good as the ootb NZ EQ heads.
Based on what he did vs what they flowed at that point, I’d say a 5 min bowl blend would probably get you pretty close to what a factory head flows.

Interesting situation with the LA version intake gasket fitment.
Although I don’t think he head a proper LA 360 sized gasket to test fit on the head.

Those new EQ heads are not what I’d be looking at for a real “performance” application.

Last edited:
After he went into them for the second time, there was a comment along the lines of those heads needing a ton of grinding.

After the third try, they’re still flowing less than aluminum SM’s that have had the seats cut and a minor quick blend in the bowls.

Plus the aluminum heads have a lot more spring installed height to work with, which makes it easier to set the heads up for higher lift.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens after he steps up to the bigger intake valves.
Although, I’m with Brian in not being a fan of running a 2.02 valve hanging out past the edge of the 1.970 seat ring.

Basically, I look at it as an exercise in trying to make “race parts” out of stock replacement parts, which almost always ends up requiring way more work than if you just started out with a more suitable part right from the start.

Last edited:
After he went into them for the second time, there was a comment along the lines of those heads needing a ton of grinding.

After the third try, they’re still flowing less than aluminum SM’s that have had the seats cut and a minor quick blend in the bowls.

Plus the aluminum heads have a lot more spring installed height to work with, which makes it easier to set the heads up for higher lift.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens after he steps up to the bigger intake valves.
Although, I’m with Brian in not being a fan of running a 2.02 valve hanging out past the edge of the 1.970 seat ring.

Basically, I look at it as an exercise in trying to make “race parts” out of stock replacement parts, which almost always ends up requiring way more work than if you just started out with a more suitable part right from the start.

I'm actually going to be porting a set of these soon. It's going on a two barrel dirt track engines so the porting will be different than if it was for regular four-barrel type racing but either way should be interesting to see what we find.

Sure one of the other few heads available would be easier but I think it's an excellent experiment seeing what's possible if someone had a specific need or desire to run a stock looking iron casting. Or if for example no other heads even existed for your engine. Hard work horse power.

My feelings exactly. But….. whatever the customer wants….
The customer(s) have a thought in their head, whatever it may be, and choose the head and go from there.
(As your acutely aware of.)
The customer doesn’t always make the wise choice.

My feelings exactly. But….. whatever the customer wants….
The customer(s) have a thought in their head, whatever it may be, and choose the head and go from there.
(As your acutely aware of.)
The customer doesn’t always make the wise choice.
He's probably got some twisted idea of making the engine look like a junkyard 5.9 magnum with an intake and headers

Are there any flow numbers available ?

Detailed flow data is given in each video.

From what I can gather, he’s got more porting time into them to bring it into the 250cfm range than what it would take using a regular old LA 360 head.

Charlie is the right guy for that job.
He doesn’t seem to mind getting “into the weeds” reworking iron stuff.

Last edited:
I made a statement regarding these heads in another thread and feel like I got chastised for it. I have not used these heads (although I have used the original EQs and stock magnums) so my information was regurgitated at best but it’s nice to see Charles doing some work on em and validating my original thoughts. For me, they can stay on the shelf.

I would say part of why Charlie is a good candidate for that project is.......he can use them for more “content” on his utube channel.

Many attempts and trips to the flow bench means many videos.

That’s for sure. It’s really good content for anyone interested in learning what goes on and why since he takes time to explain a few things and think out loud to everyone. He shows the up’s and downs of porting a head. Not everything is a win.

His videos are straight forward and not full of random jargon or over produced with music ect. I like that.

Depends on the video of music is OK or fits.

His videos are straight forward and not full of random jargon or over produced with music ect. I like that.
For sure, I've learnt so much from Charlie's videos. No BS and the extent of the editing is the pause button on his phone.

Be interesting to see what happens with the bigger valve.

My one experience with the NZ head was that cutting the seat for the 2.02 valve, using a back cut 2.02 valve, along with a quick bowl blend and tweaking the SSR got the flow to over [email protected] lift.
Between .550 and .600 the flow fell off(turbulence), and at .600 it was down to 250.

No work on the guide boss or pinch area.

It’s strange that when the heads started coming from China, that they didn’t make the ports exactly like what the NZ heads were.

Last edited:

My one experience with the NZ head was that cutting the seat for the 2.02 valve, using a back cut 2.02 valve, along with a quick bowl blend and tweaking the SSR got the flow to over [email protected] lift.
Between .550 and .600 the flow fell off(turbulence), and at .600 it was down to 250.

It’s strange that when the heads started coming from Vjina, that they didn’t make the ports exactly like what the NZ heads were.
It is a damn shame they didn't keep making them the same as the NZ heads.

It’s strange that when the heads started coming from China, that they didn’t make the ports exactly like what the NZ heads were.
Strange right?!?! As in, WTF?! Why wouldn’t you make the exact copy? They just about directly rip off everyone else without care or concern on anything. Why not this head? They ripped the **** out of Edelbrock without give a ****!
It is a damn shame they didn't keep making them the same as the NZ heads.
Exactly, it was a big winner.

Strange right?!?! As in, WTF?! Why wouldn’t you make the exact copy? They just about directly rip off everyone else without care or concern on anything. Why not this head? They ripped the **** out of Edelbrock without give a ****!

Make some sense to me. Seems like most of the clones are in name only, like the goal was to make it look the same without a care to the function. No attention to detail and not enough technical knowledge to know what is important or see what it is missing.

Like the Crosswind intake clone of the AG. Bolts on fine (for the most part) but per Blueprint, down on power. They got it right enough to sell a bunch of them but didn't care about the last 10th to make it perform the same.

New valves are in.
No magic so far.

He did make a comment about the exhaust i agreed with.
That being, it’s already “too good” for the intake port.

My armchair QB comment regarding the new VJ for the 2.02 valves is......I’d prefer to see a longer top cut on more of the circumference of the seat, although I understand why he didn’t do that.

To this point, I’ve seen enough to know they’re not something I’d want to mess with beyond a quick bowl blend and some minor pinch work.......and then the flow just “is what it is”.

Last edited:
-
Back