Realest's 1969 Dart Custom

-
the pictures.....you are talkin' bout the car?...right?

DartProgress016-1.jpg

IMG-20110803-00138.jpg

IMG-20110803-00136.jpg

drivers door, glass and trim removed
DartProgress025.jpg

drip edge chrome moulding removed
DartProgress026.jpg

DartProgress022.jpg

DartProgress023.jpg

Today I removed the chrome trim around the windshield and the windshield itself. After doing so research on the forum I took the advice of other and cut out the windshield rubber to help expose the clips that hold the trim on. The bottom trim piece proved to be most difficult due to gravities affect causing 42 years of dirty and debris to collect in the area. I fashioned a tool from a Richard 9 in 1 paint tool. Worked great. It still took a bit of patients and care not to bend or damage the trim. Something I am positive I would have never been able to do 10 years ago. After the trim was off, I used some cable and foam window cleaner (as lubricant) to remove the glass. Some may prefer the smash and crash method when removing windshields but I prefer to take it out in one piece and avoid the clean up. Here are some photos.

DartProgress029.jpg

DartProgress032.jpg

DartProgress031.jpg

DartProgress030.jpg

DartProgress033.jpg

DartProgress034.jpg

A little more minor progress today. Got the passenger side of the car stripped of all trim, glass and latch. Also removed rear window chrome trim and glass. I found the rear glass exponentially harder to remove than the windshield, but this was probably due to the fact I didn't care if i broke the windshield.

DartProgress041.jpg

DartProgress042.jpg

DartProgress037.jpg

DartProgress038.jpg

DartProgress043.jpg

removed the engine cradle and front suspension, then built a front end dollie.

DartProgress061.jpg

rear axle and springs gone (sorry for the poor photo quality)

Saskatoon-20120115-00022.jpg

Starting stripping the rear quarter panel, however I probably shouldn't have wasted my time as it'll get replaced. I wanted to play around and see what kind of damaged was underneath the 1/4" of filler. I haven't quite finished stripping all the mud off but the metal is better than I thought it was going to be.

Saskatoon-20120115-00023.jpg

Saskatoon-20120115-00024.jpg

bodywork001.jpg

bodywork002.jpg

bodywork003.jpg

bodywork005.jpg

Ah that brings back memories. Stripping al the undercoat is a nasty job! Nice to see you progressing. Are you planning on replacing the quarter panel? Keep up the good work :).

Thanks James. Yes it has been slow progress, slower than I'd like. Good thing I have this site to follow builds such as your to keep my eye on the prize. I love the things you've done to your Dart.

132068DODGE- Scrapping undercoat is pretty nasty. The heat gun make pretty quick work of it. I am spending more time trying to get blood back into my arms more than scrapping HA. Sure wish I had a rotisserie. Both quarters will get replaced among other sheet metal panels.

20141019_120025_zpstzmuhoyg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20141207_173154_zpsasvkreel.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Morning Folk,

Well almost zero progress has been made since my post February 2012. I did manage to finish the building the cars stand and move it 650 km (SK to AB). Time flies!

Hell , You aren't doing bad. My Buddy's 64 Hemi Savoy took 32 years to complete. Talk about baby steps........

Last edited:
What a great project! Plan on making small things. That will keep you in progress without putting too much money in to it.

Checked out your thread Ryan, that's a pretty solid platform your starting with. Looks like your dealing with pretty much the same panel replacements as mine needed. Hopefully you just need quarters but most suffer some damage to the wheel house and trunk drops. If my thread helps out that's great and really why I tried to post some detail to how I went about the work. It's not rocket science but it sure helps when you can see pictures and video, that's why YouTube is often my best friend. Keep us updated.

Danny

Checked out your thread Ryan, that's a pretty solid platform your starting with. Looks like your dealing with pretty much the same panel replacements as mine needed. Hopefully you just need quarters but most suffer some damage to the wheel house and trunk drops. If my thread helps out that's great and really why I tried to post some detail to how I went about the work. It's not rocket science but it sure helps when you can see pictures and video, that's why YouTube is often my best friend. Keep us updated.

Danny

Unfortunately my truck extensions and wheel wells are no good as well. Thank-you for the kinds words. Builds such as yours, other and YouTube information definitely help. I'll post update as post worthy progress happens.

After 7 years of not posting I figured it was time to resurrect this thread. Since my last post, nothing has changed until the past 2 month. In 2018 I moved the Dart into a seacan & locked it away out of sight out of mind. This August I rounded up some buddies and brought the car body home, and started ordering some parts. Currently on order are HDK front suspension kit, and QA1 rear coil over kit. If your interested I have been trying to document and keep myself motivated on Instagram @69DartCustom.

Currently, I am stuck searching for a wheel choice that I will be happy with. I've looked pretty close at the Schott Venom and Boze clutch, but am hesitant to pull trigger on either based on price.

1697764641250.png

1697764744386.png

If anyone has other suggestions for my build, PLEASE share. I am open to the help.

In the meantime, I have been continuing where I left off so many years ago, scrapping undercoat with a heat gun and knife, then cleaning with wire wheel. After having rust dug out of my eye this Monday, I have decide that building a rotisserie and my next/first side project.

1697765125851.png

1697765086677.png

1697765193426.png

Some parts packages have started to roll in and I've been making pretty good progress on the construction of a rotisserie.

This HDK suspensions looks wonderful!

20231106_180727.jpg

QA1 rear coilover suspension kit for the Dana 60.
20231021_171012.jpg

DIY rotisserie
20231105_175457.jpg

Good luck with this project man. Hopefully you’ll be able to devote more time to it and just keep chipping away. I need to do the same myself.

I'm glad to see you resurrected the build of your 68, just keep plugging away and don't get bogged down.

-
Back