Realistic estimate Please

-
Robb, the drive shaft from the /6 904 will fit the v8 904. You have to cut the drive shaft when replacing the rear end.

As far as driving with open header's? I did and I loved it. I received a lot of thumbs up from other motorists. I also loved hearing that v8 as I was driving 50 mph through the open headers.

I have a "Thingy" that you can crank to tilt the motor front to back, is this what you are talking about?

Yes that is it. Are you putting the engine and trans in as one unit?

In my opinion you need to have the front of the car as high as possible and the back just sitting down low (when putting the engine and trans in as 1 unit) . It helps cut the angle down and sliding it in the trans tunnel.
When are you doing your swap?

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm thinking of doing the swap in the next couple weeks, probably the weekend after the long Weekend (Victoria Day).

I am going to try and put it in as one unit

I'm doing my /6 to 360 swap the Victoria Day weekend... if I hit any unseen snags, I'll make sure to post them up.

:)

i would beef up your tranny before you get to peddle happy. my stock rebuilt 904 lasted 500 miles behind my 380 horse 340. it is at the tranny shop right now being beefed up with better clutches and a shift kit.

Quote:
Concerning your SB 904...make sure your slant six converter is the same era 904. Pre-'68 904s had a different input spline to the torque converter than the '68 and up. A '68 and up tranny will have more upgrade options for a torque converter than pre-'68. As far as stall goes...the slant torque converter will flash a little hirer with that new found power in you 360.
What are some Key identifiers of a post 68 904 vs an Early one?

From http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/identifying-torqueflites.html

A-904 transmissions from their inception until 1967 have 18 splines in the input shaft. Non-lockup transmissions from 1968 have 27 splines.

Lockup 904 transmissions appeared in 1978, and have 26 splines. A-500 overdrive transmissions also have 26 splines. The output shaft has 25 splines.

If in doubt, count the splines. It saves a lot of headache and stress later on when you might otherwise discover that you have the wrong torque converter or drive shaft yoke.

from that same reference concerning externally balanced 360s

For small blocks, 360 engines and some 318 engines of the LA family are externally balanced. They use specific balance weights on the torque converter, and are not the same between the 318 and the 360. The 340 engines in 1972 and 1973 used cast cranks, and thus used their own unique externally-balanced torque converters also. (Allan)

The 5.9 Magnum engines are also externally balanced, but don't use the same balance weights as their pre-Magnum counterpart, so torque converters from the late seventies and eighties 360 will hook up but not balance properly on the Magnum motors. For big blocks, the 400 is externally balanced as well, so it should have its own particular set of balance weights.

Rick Ehrenberg wrote: “All 318 (5.2l) engines - Magnum, SMPI, or carbureted - are internally balanced, therefore there are no torque-converter / flex plate swap problems.”

Hope this helps.

Doug

Oh, I forgot my car was a 273 2bbl when it was born, so it does have the cable type accelerator peddle.

Check to see if your current throttle set up actuates your carburetor by rods or cable. See if your inside set-up is like this picture.

V-8 Throttle setup.JPG

Yes, that peddle set up is exactly like mine. I will count splines on my SB 904 tonight (Those are the ridges that extend down the input shaft of the transmission right?)

Here is a pic of the u-joint, you can see the /6 904 is still really "fresh"

u-joint.jpg

The "Spline Count" is only important for the tranny going in, to determine the type of converter correct? it does not matter if a different spline count transmission came out, unless I am reusing the converter? Just trying to verify.

Also anyone know if the colour of the converter means anything?

The one in my 727 is Blue, and the one in my 904 is red?

The "Spline Count" is only important for the tranny going in, to determine the type of converter correct? it does not matter if a different spline count transmission came out, unless I am reusing the converter? Just trying to verify.

Also anyone know if the colour of the converter means anything?

The one in my 727 is Blue, and the one in my 904 is red?

You got it right...the spline count of the in-going tranny must match the converter you are going to use. I have no idea about T/C color coding if they are stock. Might mean nothing. Maybe someone else has some perspective on this.

The 904 and 727 transmissions may have a different spline count on the output shaft. I think the early 727`s have a 25 count spline but some later 727`s will need a 29 spline slip yoke and the 904 a 25. As Oldvart mentioned, you should make a reservation for the Murphys when starting your swap.

-
Back