A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• $T2eC16N,!zUE9s389zcKBR0uSw!YlQ~~60_57.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 395
  • $(KGrHqR,!qgFHJVejnWbBR0uTP3nGQ~~60_57.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 411
That is super slick. I know a guy who has about $6000 into miniature train stuff. He would go bonkers over this.

I actually had that back in the 60's. There is also a crossing track that you can buy. I believe my was made by Aurora.

A;sp, I was heavily into model RR until I reached my 40's when my career took most of my free time away.

Still have everything though. One day the attic will be cleansed!

...hope I'm still around when that happens!

When I was little I went to a cousin's place and he had an entire town (which lit up) with buildings and people. We are talking about taking up an entire basement. There was a huge train layout as well as a slot car track mixed in and like frankie said, there was pieces that allowed the slot car track to have a railroad crossing for the train.

I was starting to get heavy into model railroad stuff until my car hobby took off and the car hobby takes a lot of money.....so I sold all my model railroad stuff and bought a 4 speed set up with the money ......I enjoy my 4 speed to the max but sometimes I miss my old tyco stuff

I am thinking now of getting into slot cars ....a lot cheaper and easier to put together

H.O. is a commitment.

It's amazing when done right, though. I've airbrushed and completed some nice models. Most of them got stolen from the school display cabinets. I don't know whether to take compliment or insult to that, but I'm in the same boat with toys that take a lot of time or money committed. I've got too many car projects to do that, now.

You're my kind of woman ... Nothing "normal" for you!!!

well we can bring out the Barbies and easy bake ovens...... but I think the toys that the boys have is funner.

you can only make so many mud pies and play house so many times......... but how can you ever get tired of racing slot cars, R/C cars, building model cars, ......or best of all real mopars. LOL

H.O. is a commitment.

It's amazing when done right, though. I've airbrushed and completed some nice models. Most of them got stolen from the school display cabinets. I don't know whether to take compliment or insult to that, but I'm in the same boat with toys that take a lot of time or money committed. I've got too many car projects to do that, now.

H.O. gauge is the funnest ........N is too small, Z is too expensive and you need a microscope to play.......G and O gauge is also too expensive and big.

H.O. seems to be the most common size and cheapest to build plus my favorite was tyco from the 80s and I think they only made H.O. Gauge

My son and I used to race slot cars in a local league... not parma ...we raced scaletric, ninco, etc .. It requires a lot of work (maintenance and set up) and $s to stay competitive.

My son and I used to race slot cars in a local league... not parma ...we raced scaletric, ninco, etc .. It requires a lot of work (maintenance and set up) and $s to stay competitive.

wow that is a fancy way to go ......for I was planning to buy a life like brand or tyco brand set (under $100.) just for me and my little sis ....nothing expensive or that involved :D

Here's the track I used to race at. It was the Camera and Hobby Shop
here in Columbus. I raced 1/25:1 scale cars.

The folks in the pics were locals.

Lots of fun indeed.

Attachments

• 046 (Medium).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 323
Used to be a place in my old hometown called Don's Hobby Shop.He had a track set up and had very competitive races going on every weekend.

We have one local track that rents out to parties and has it own series.

The club we joined most members had their own tracks. We ran 1/32 scale. There was a schedule of what tracks / dates we raced at. We ran various classes depending on model of car, and tuning (weights / magnets). Most tracks were the plastic variety and were all 4 lane. We had electronic timing via a computer to keep us honest :) however, when you went off, you were out. We also had a couple of wooden tracks where the metal strip was inlayed in the wood. Height changes, overpasses, and scenery was used to make it harder for the driver.

There are also drag strip tracks.

There are a lot of MOPAR cars now...i used to run a 69 charger r/t in one class.

After 3 seasons for me hosting / racing and one for my son, we were involved with other stuff (and we didn't live / breath slot cars) so we dropped out and sold our track but I have kept the cars.

All I can say is that they are a scream to use especially if the car you are using is a muscle car.

ian

My friend just finished his track project...it is made of wood...1/32 scale...tire selection and weight distribution (as well as the ohm of your controller) is important because magnets just don't work...we run on a yoyo (your off, you are out) principal.

892635_10151545991392821_413585825_o-X2.jpg

1273662_10151555635662821_295193928_o-X2.jpg

Almost makes me want to go back..i used to rule the musclecar category :)

If you are looking at detail, the Scaletric and other makers do quite well keeping it real...

Ian.

My friend just finished his track project...it is made of wood...1/32 scale...tire selection and weight distribution (as well as the ohm of your controller) is important because magnets just don't work...we run on a yoyo (your off, you are out) principal.

1273662_10151555635662821_295193928_o-X2.jpg

Almost makes me want to go back..i used to rule the musclecar category :)

If you are looking at detail, the Scaletric and other makers do quite well keeping it real...

Ian.

are the yellow or blue one Saabs? or maybe Volvo ....looks Swedish to me ....and very very sweet

Rani,

They are Renault 8 Gordini 's. The rallying scene in British Isles and Europe was pretty cool in the 60s and 70's.

r1-X2.jpg

I should mention that various companies have produced many muscle cars of the 60s and 70's. I have a Charger that seems a bit larger than 1/32 which made it really uncompetitive on the smaller, twisty tracks.

Ian.

Reneault. possibly gordini turbo...

No way did you beat me to post by 2 min!!

i had swedish cars on my brain because if i ever was to get into foreign cars ....my first choice is the Saab 96 ralley car.

i love these little cars ....i knew a man who had one up the street from me and when i was younger he would let me sit in the car and i would imagine i was running a rally without even moving. (he didnt let me actually drive it and i had a big imagination LOL).....
:D
so i wouldnt mind getting a Saab 96 slot car because i have thing for those :shock:

Attachments

• Cnv0453.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 272
:)

YY1, did you or do you follow the rally scene ? ...the hay day of the power houses were the screaming b's (group b) like the MG Metro 6R4 and the Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 rally car which was just brutal...

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

ian.

i had swedish cars on my brain because if i ever was to get into foreign cars ....my first choice is the Saab 96 ralley car.

i love these little cars ....i knew a man who had one up the street from me and when i was younger he would let me sit in the car and i would imagine i was running a rally without even moving. (he didnt let me actually drive it and i had a big imagination LOL).....
:D
so i wouldnt mind getting a Saab 96 slot car because i have thing for those :shock:

Erik Carlsson made his name in one...actually, his wife did as well..

search
erikcarlssongunnarpalmsaab96montecarlocoldeturini1963-XL.jpg

have to love the headlight on top :)

Did a search...

This guy built one from scratch...
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57252
We started doing that...taking a 1/32 scale model and adding running gear/engine and dagger for the slot...

I think you could start with this resin kit..

http://www.phantomdrum.co.uk/scalexracer/cars/saab96/index.html

I found one in a slot car museum..
http://www.bernardsslotcarmuseum.com/?page=gallery&cmd=show_pictures&man_id=131

Found one...kinda expensive..don't know these companies..
http://en.todocoleccion.net/hobby-classic-saab-96-montecarlo-ref-cl-05~x25448359

and another at a seriously silly price..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-32-SCA..._Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET&hash=item4610c0d7e8

It is a pretty famous car..surprised there aren't more out there..

Ian.

No, there was a guy in my neighborhood when I was a teen, that had two of them.

I remember his wife was pretty hot and often came to the door in lingerie when collecting for the newspaper delivery. Funny what sticks in your brain, huh.

Apparently those Saabs are cheap in Sweeden. Did you see the Wheeler dealer Trading Up episode where he bought one from the daughter of a Saab factory worker in superb condition for $2500??...and then only sold it for a modest profit...

We had one of those in our subdivision..moes the lawn in a very tight halter and very small shorts...

No...sounds like the garage monkey... the factory worker probably loved it..

I really am not crazy about folks that just buy for the flip with no feeling for the cars..when the Count finally found a split window vette you could almost see tears in his eyes when he sold it...

There is a blue saab around here that is driven by quite an old gent..

-
Back