Really did it this time!

-
Reaction score
It all started out with what was supposed to be a simple selector shaft seal change, but now I think I killed it! First I dropped the pan and drained all the fluid. Then removed the valve body bolts (never done any of this before) and I found out about the E-clip that holds the valve body in. Got it off and dropped the valve body. Changed the seal and put it all back together with a new MP deep pan. Filled the fluid to full, started the engine, put it through the gears and back to N. Put in more fluid till I had it just under full and the moment of truth.......... Reverse, nothing. Drive, nothing. Any gear, nothing. I can feel it clicking through the gear so I think I got it all back together right. So I look under the car, fluid is leaking out and the kickdown is stuck all the way on, like if the car was floored. Come to find out one of the pan bolts is stripped and I must have put one of the little arms on wrong because the kickdown was catching on the gear selector. So what I'm trying to find out is, could the kickdown being pressed all the way in make the trans not go into gear? I dropped the pan again and found this rod-bolt thing that is right beside the kickdown button is just kind of sitting there loose. I can push it back on there and it will stay but if I wiggle it it will pop out about 1/8" and is loose again. Did I break it somehow?!?! 72 904 transmission. Pic #2 is the rod thing loose.

Attachments

• Photo-0132 (WinCE) (2).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Photo-0133 (WinCE) (2).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 234
That loose rod is what's called the manual valve. When it moves in and out of the valve body it opens and closes passages to direct the trans. fluid to select a gear. It's not in place so the shifter can move it to the correct position to select the gears.

Fishy68 helped me out a bunch so I'll go one more step. The tab marked with red line goes here at the black line. You have to loosen the VB to get it back on. Don't try to bend it over the end or you will cause more issues. Also, did you use a filter extension with the deep pan?

Attachments

• Photo-0132 (WinCE) (2).jpg
    25 KB · Views: 204
Fishy68 helped me out a bunch so I'll go one more step. The tab marked with red line goes here at the black line. You have to loosen the VB to get it back on. Don't try to bend it over the end or you will cause more issues. Also, did you use a filter extension with the deep pan?
Yes, the extension came with the pan. I'm not sure of what you are saying I need to do. :newb:

1.Take the valve body back off, and hook the little arm by the red line onto the shaft by the black line.

You left if disconnected, so it can't select a gear.

2. Go buy a helicoil for your stripped bolt.

3. Find out what's leaking, and fix it.

THEN put it all back together.

I gotta throw this out there.
I have in the past just pushed up on the tab with a fair sized screwdriver just enough so I could move the manual valve to where the tab lined up where it is supposed to be in the valve.
This can be done with the valve body in place, and it makes it WAY easier.

I have also bent the tab back to where it sat back down in the valve nicely again after being bent from not being lined up, but it's got to be done carefully and gently.

-
Back