Rear Armrest Bases on A-Body Convertibles?

-

Mopar Virgin

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that if the rear convertible armrests on '68 Barracuda attached to a base or directly to the interior quarter panels. I've looked at BaT pictures and can verify what has been done on those sold on it. I ordered replacement pads from ABC and have a call into them about bases, as my interior fabricator is inquiring due it appearing it is required ... thoughts?

Pictures appreciated !!

This is stock (67dart)
Barracuda should be the same.

The metal is riveted to the plastic

PXL_20240911_225630372.jpg

The pad has spring steel tabs that snap in.
( The ABC pads look nice but I have not had good luck snapping them in. The spring steel is too brittle)

PXL_20240911_225625094.jpg

I recall someone saying that the aftermarket arm rests require screwing the pads on before installing the armrest plastic to the body.

This is stock (67dart)
Barracuda should be the same.

The metal is riveted to the plastic

View attachment 1716302077

The pad has spring steel tabs that snap in.
( The ABC pads look nice but I have not had good luck snapping them in. The spring steel is too brittle)

View attachment 1716302078

I recall someone saying that the aftermarket arm rests require screwing the pads on before installing the armrest plastic to the body.
Now I think I know what the interior shop is saying ... I ordered aftermarket interior side panels and I'm betting the metal plate underneath that is riveted-in is not there on it (ugh). I noted the metal tabs breaking in another posting you did. Well, just another problem to solve yet again.

I needed a replacement for my 68 dart convertable
(barracuda is the same)
The replacement screws into the quarter trim. You have to take off the interior quarter trim to install it.

20240911_182959.jpg

20240911_183009.jpg

The ones from ABC are more professionally made, sorry Layson!

I got mine about 5 years ago not sure if it's changed or not.
ABC doesn't show the underside so it's hard to compare.

The butchery is from me making tabs that don't break.

But you could screw them on easily.
PXL_20240913_034854317.jpg

It looks like they are now made with an injection mold process.
Mine must be an old way of making them.
I think I paid about $30. for the one.
Now you can only buy them in a set.

-
Back