Rear axle measurement

-

Canyon

Reaction score
Just a quick question, I was wondering if there are any tricks to getting an accurate measurement for my rear axle. I have the tires under the car but I'm wondering how to get them square and even in the wheel well. Where I have them set now I got 51 inches from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Does that sounds close to correct?
Thanks for any info guys

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

everything I have ever heard or read tells me there is almost always some disparity from one side to the other - it is what it is

everything I have ever heard or read tells me there is almost always some disparity from one side to the other - it is what it is
There definitely is, tolerances then weren't what they are today I'm just trying to see what/how people have gotten a more accurate measurement wheel to wheel.

Looks like you're doing it right to me. That's basically how I built the rear in my 66 Dart. You can double check that measurement by measuring outside to outside on the frame rails, and an inch per side for inner tub clearance and do some math taking into account 1/2 the tire section width and wheel offset (relationship between the wheel mounting flange to the center of the wheel). If the two numbers match up, you're good to go. Keep in mind it's better to be 1/4" too narrow than 1/4" too wide.

-
Back