Rear Axle / Spring Pads

-

360duster

Reaction score
Hi all,

i want to put new spring Pads on my new axle for the Valiant. Can anybody give advice what´s the best angle (reference is the pinion i think) to weld the spring Plates on the tubes?

I can check it with the existing 7,25", but maybe there´s a better position than the stock one.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

On A bodies the factory set the pinion 5* up from the perch being level.

I don't usually put it that much up on mine. Most end up about 1-3 up. If you can measure the angle in the car, it would be better, especially if it's a performance set up.

Up Rob? I thought they suggest it down 5-7 degrees so when the axles loads up it comes up straight?

Attachments

• rearsusp4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 120
He's asking about welding the perch on the axle tube if I'm not mistaken.

That's different from the pinion/joint angle for the driveshaft which you have in that chart. That's part of the reason I put them on at 1-3* because it corrects some of the pinion angle without the need for shims. It's best to mock it up and set it where it needs to be.

Flip the stock 7.25 upside down, get perch level and measure the angle the pinion sits. It will likely be 5* down, which, because it's upside down would be up when flipped over as installed in the car.

He's asking about welding the perch on the axle tube if I'm not mistaken.

That's different from the pinion/joint angle for the driveshaft which you have in that chart. That's part of the reason I put them on at 1-3* because it corrects some of the pinion angle without the need for shims. It's best to mock it up and set it where it needs to be.

Flip the stock 7.25 upside down, get perch level and measure the angle the pinion sits. It will likely be 5* down, which, because it's upside down would be up when flipped over as installed in the car.

i agree... we just did a 8 3/4 housing for a friends car and flat where the center section bolts was something like 5-7* up. we took the measurement off a stock untouched housing.

Thanks Guys, that´s the information i need. I think i spot weld the perches into place, then check the location when the axle is in the car. If it´s correct, remove axle and finish welding.

Thanks!

-
Back