rear axle spring perch flip

-

2 fast z28

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 1970 dart that i have installed mopar ss springs in the rear i was hoping the car would sit higher in the rear the rear tire still sits in the wheel well i was hoping that the top of tire would be leve with wheel well arch. now i was looking and wondering if anyone had moved the spring perch on the rear axel so that the spring sits on top of the axle instead of the bottom. i dont want to put air shocks in or add a add a leaf dont want the car to ride harder let me know what u guys think and if u got pics of cars with this done let me know thanks much

If you don't mind it lookin' like a 4x4 I guess. You'll raise the car the diameter of the axle housing plus the height of the spring pack, so a bout 8" or more?

The super stock springs usually raise the azz end pretty high.
Can you show us a pic of the car now ?

ok here is a pic of the car with the stock springs in it the car sits no higher than this with the ss springs thats why im wondering what i could do to raise the rear with out makeing the car ride even harder than it does with ss spring

Attachments

• SPRING.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 476
Got any pics with the SS springs ?
I think the car looks good. How high do you want to go ?

make some custom front spring mounts and add some shackles.and shock extensions

If it didnt end up higher than that, I dont think you installed SS springs, what was the part number on them???

ok here is a pic of the car now yeah it was factory green but i change it to panther pink and converted front end and rear end to look like a 70

Attachments

• spring 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 460
Well it def looks higher in the pink picture, how much higher could you possibly want it??

the tires on there now are 205-70-15 i think im planning on relocating the spring with the kit from pst and i want to run 255-70-15

I don't under stand why it's that low. I put S/S springs in the back of the Duster. It looked like a stink bug. I flipped the front mount to lower it.
Here's a pic. S/S springs 002& 003, 255/60-15's with the hangers flipped.

Attachments

• 100_2404.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 571
Are you trying to get a rake to it?
And if you do the spring relocation do a 275-65-15 or taller series tire Same hieght as 255-70-15 but a little wider

if my car sat like that it would be perfect when i first got the springs i questioned what the difference between the springs i got and the 002-003 and no buddy said much about it so maybe i have to go with the 002-003 which are the hemi super stock springs

I think it looks killer....I wouldn't touch it.
As mentioned,if a rake is what your going for,just drop the front a bit.

Is the passenger side higher than the driver side in the rear ?
Or does the car sit level in the back ?

I don't under stand why it's that low. I put S/S springs in the back of the Duster. It looked like a stink bug. I flipped the front mount to lower it.
Here's a pic. S/S springs 002& 003, 255/60-15's with the hangers flipped.

His car isn't low, I'd venture it's the same as your. Remember the Dart has the lower outer wheel lip, not arched up. Lower the edge of your lip 3" and it's about in the same spot as his.

Get the car together, then make a decision on where you want the rear to sit. Relocation and a mini tub makes it easy to stick tires under it. You really need to get the proper wheels so the tire fits the wells.

His car isn't low, I'd venture it's the same as your. Remember the Dart has the lower outer wheel lip, not arched up. Lower the edge of your lip 3" and it's about in the same spot as his.

Get the car together, then make a decision on where you want the rear to sit. Relocation and a mini tub makes it easy to stick tires under it. You really need to get the proper wheels so the tire fits the wells.

And also center the rearend to the wheel opening for biggest tire possible

My dads buddy run 295-75-15 with some rearched HD Mopar Springs and a 3inch relocation on his 67 GTS

the tires on there now are 205-70-15 i think im planning on relocating the spring with the kit from pst and i want to run 255-70-15

That does not sound correct????

They should be 26 1/2" tall, mine are 225/75 x 15, and they only sit the car 1"+ higher, at 28 1/2 (raises by the radius, IE 1/2 the diameter)

Mine, 225/75 x 15:

You can't put anymore tire "in there" or the front of the tire would hit the bodywork

15n7g39.jpg

All I did to this thing for spring was tear apart the original pack, and put the longest leaves from the originals, as well as the longest out of a 70's junker together, with I think 1 more leaf than factory. It does NOT ride harsh, but I would not want it much stiffer

N' ya like crackback said, remember, the Darts have a lower/ smaller wheel well opening.

-
Back