Rear brake flex hose question

-

zigs

Reaction score
Not getting fluid to the rear brakes very inconsistent. I put my vac on rear right side and sucked until I got fluid then it stopped. Checked left side , no fluid. I disconnected lines at mid car put my vac on line from proportioning valve ... plenty of fluid , no air. I assume rear flex hose , so I pulled it , just for fun ran a length of bailing wire through the hose had to push a little bit to send it through but it did go through. I know this isn't a good test but I figure a piece of wire through a short straight piece of hose should go without restrictions. How collapsed does the hose have to be. This is the oem hose .
68 Dart manual disc/drum.

You have 1) found the problem 2) diagnosed the problem 3) found the culprit! Replace the rear hose and be done with it. The hoses deteriorate and create a flap of sorts. So when you apply pressure it makes the seal that much tighter!

Hey no problem, I have encountered more brake hose problems in 45 years than one would expect.

Hey no problem, I have encountered more brake hose problems in 45 years than one would expect.
I'm all right with brakes but not something I look fore ward to doing. I just changed everything out PPV, MC , rotors , calipers , brake lines , never ran into the rear hose problem before . I have read a lot of the threads in the past. I wasn't getting peddle , pull the MC bled it again put it back on nothing. Its really nice to be able to come on here and get sent in the right direction. the help is most appreciated.

Motive Products 0105 Pressure Brake Bleeder, Square Master Cylinders | eBay
Motive 1103 Chrysler Brake Bleeder Adapter | eBay
I don't know if you familiar with the Motive pressure bleeder but I've had one for many years. They are a life saver, plus you will be amazed how little fluid you will use even for a brand new complete system. The second link is for the later model Mopar MC.
So do you just crack 1 bleeder screw at a time, let it pressure bleed via the master cylinder, then close it?

Yes. On the old cast dual Master Cylinder, The square black piece claps to the top of your master cylinder with chains that come with it. Then you add brake fluid to the tank. Then you pump the handle till the gauge shows 3-5 PSI, you then crack each caliper/wheel cylinder bleeder till all the air is gone. I did the whole brake system on my 68 Barracuda with every piece on it new and a dry system. After I was done I had uded a half of quart of fluid including what it took to fill the system. I'll let a system sit maybe a hour and crack every bleeder just to make sure. Theres no bench bleeding the MC either.

I don't know if you familiar with the Motive pressure bleeder but I've had one for many years. They are a life saver, plus you will be amazed how little fluid you will use even for a brand new complete system. The second link is for the later model Mopar MC.
Yes I've seen those , never used one. I have a Harbor Freight that I like also uses very little fluid. I bleed the old fashioned way back to front and even gravity flow.

Great tool....had issues bleeding those new aftermarket calipers...Motive Power Bleeder killed them....Have used it alot especially as a one man show...Got use it again in a few days..

Great tool....had issues bleeding those new aftermarket calipers...Motive Power Bleeder killed them....Have used it alot especially as a one man show...Got use it again in a few days..
That is always my dilemma, I'm always doing this stuff by myself.

Just for laughs checked out a site that shows how to make a self bleeder. I had all the stuff even an extra master cylinder lid. Put it together in about a half an hour . pumped it up to 20 psi and held it until I took my thumb off the air hole in the lid. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
IMG_20161114_161738257.jpg

Great and you only need 3-5 PSI to work. Make sure you use the cap gasket. And don't forget to poke a hole thru the gasket in the front and rear.

At this point. start from the brake hose and work forward. Where ever you get a good flow of fluid, should tell you where the restriction is. With your pressure bleeder, it should be easy to locate.

-
Back