Rear Deck Lid Barracuda Script....Factory attached forever!

-

MICHAEL J KLOCK

Reaction score
IMG_4499.JPG
I'm sure this was a very expedient way to attach the rear deck lid Barracuda script, but.....Looks like a machine pressed / peen. I found a really super clean deck lid trim panel and I'm torn on removing this.
IMG_4498.JPG

We just hashed over this a bit in a different thread. Majority of badges have studs through holes in body panels. The script on a 67 B'cuda deck lid is one the exceptions.
You can remove the thing by stretching the holes in the aluminum panel to a cone like shape. I've done this 3 times before ( the same one twice ). Doing this without breaking the badge isn't easy. Don't pry between the parts. That can break the badge and/or distort the pebble texture.
Raise/support the panel, boxing around the badge. Work all anchors through/out at the same time/rate. The aluminum will crack a little at the holes, and creating those tiny cracks in advance gives us control. Place them where the badge/script will hide them. Some of the peened pot metal might break away but the badge can be reattached. ( About painting... nothing special, strip it, mask it, prime it, paint it. ) Block support the badge to reattach ( flatten holes/close cracks ). A dab of epoxy at each anchor bleeds through cracks, fills voids and secures, prevents badge wiggle. I've grown fond of the grey color 2 part epoxy used to bond hardware to holes in concrete. It cures rock hard but it aint cheap.
Only other option is a different badge and drilling holes through the deck lid. That's how the 68 B'cuda script it attached so that badge just might work here.
p.s. If I wasn't on the way out on holiday, I might draw suggest the little cracks on your pic. Use your imagination. Remember, "Can't never could." "Where there's a will there's a way."

-
Back