rear diff

-

muller

Reaction score
would a sure grip and gears from a dakota fit in a a-body 8 1/4 rear end?

thnx,
barry

Depends on what year Dakota/truck. '97 & newer have 29 spline axles and would not fit... same goes for the sure grip. If it's '96 or earlier, axles and sure grip will fit no problem.

I swapped a set of 3:92's dakota gears into an 8.25" duster diff. The gears will work but as was mentioned above the suregrip won't due to the axle spline differences. I used an ealier sure grip to make this work. Keep in mind when shopping for 8.25" sure grips there are different suregrips for certain gear ratios. The ring gear is positioned differently for low vs high ratio gear sets. I belive there are two different sure grips, and you will need the correct one.

so,correct me if i'm wrong....if i would buy a compleet diff out of a pre '97 dakota everything should fit...as long i use my own axles??

I would think a Dakota rearend would have a different width than an a-body rearend, so the housing would be of no use unless you were going to narrow it. The ring and pinion can be from any year 8.25 as they are all the same but the carrier(suregrip) needs to be from a '96 and earlier rearend. As far as the carrier(suregrip) differences, the 2.45 gear set uses it's own special carrier and all of the others use the same one.

Chuck

awesome,then it means that i can get low gears and sure-track easy for my diff thats under the new car!!!

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back